LSU losing 2 Junior starting DT's and 2 top Junior WR's to draft.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For some reason there's no link on ESPN but it's been reported three times today on ESPN radio that DT's Ego Ferguson and Anthony "Freak" Johnson are leaving early for the draft along with wr's OB Jr and Jarvis Landry.

I know LSU has the same issue many top flight schools have and that's losing very good players early. I'm sure the two wr's saw what they had coming back at QB and it was a no brainer.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
This is just going to be the start of it, too. The above-mentioned four are gone, everyone assumes Jeremy Hill will go shortly, and in addition Trai Turner and La'El Collins are possibilities.

This makes the second year in a row this has happened in Baton Rouge. When the dust settles, over a two-year period, they are going to lose roughly 15-17 players early to the NFL Draft, which is just completely and totally unheard of even with the power programs in the modern day and age. By comparison, I think the most we've ever lost early over a two year period is something like seven or eight players.

FWIW, it's going to put them in a real bind next year, too. With pretty shaky QB play looking to return, this is probably an 8-4 or 9-3 team next season. It will still be a physical, talented team, but unless they have a lot of players just blow up, this isn't going to be a team with 10+ wins and in championship contention.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They're pretty unsettled at QB and likely to lose Hill too.

They're basically hoping that Fournette is going to lead them next year.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
they were almost 8-4 this past season ( Arky game) with who they have, imagine next season with a new QB, young WRs, new DTs, and the loss of Hill. Fournette or not, they will struggle on offense. defensively they will be about the same.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is just going to be the start of it, too. The above-mentioned four are gone, everyone assumes Jeremy Hill will go shortly, and in addition Trai Turner and La'El Collins are possibilities.

This makes the second year in a row this has happened in Baton Rouge. When the dust settles, over a two-year period, they are going to lose roughly 15-17 players early to the NFL Draft, which is just completely and totally unheard of even with the power programs in the modern day and age. By comparison, I think the most we've ever lost early over a two year period is something like seven or eight players.

FWIW, it's going to put them in a real bind next year, too. With pretty shaky QB play looking to return, this is probably an 8-4 or 9-3 team next season. It will still be a physical, talented team, but unless they have a lot of players just blow up, this isn't going to be a team with 10+ wins and in championship contention.
Yeah, one of my LSU buddies pointed this out the other day saying that it has and will continue to have a big impact on their success. But what can you do? (he asked). To be honest I don't know if it is anything Lester is doing or isn't doing I think a lot these guys realize they can get paid and they jump ship. As goofy as Lester is he dang sure can recruit some talent down there and it shows in the NFL. They have a lot of players in the NFL.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The QB is going to be pretty decent with experience, I think (JMO). Big losses everywhere else, though, except RB.
Curious who else from the barn and others announces in the coming days. Gonna get interesting in about a week....

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The QB is going to be pretty decent with experience, I think (JMO). Big losses everywhere else, though, except RB.
Curious who else from the barn and others announces in the coming days. Gonna get interesting in about a week....
Cannot see many leaving early at Auburn. In my eyes the only two real possibilities are Greg Robinson and Tre Mason. I suppose Sammie Coates is a possibility, but I tend to doubt he leaves now given how deep this wide receiver class has shaped up, not to mention the fact that Auburn will likely throw the football a bit better next season.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, one of my LSU buddies pointed this out the other day saying that it has and will continue to have a big impact on their success. But what can you do? (he asked). To be honest I don't know if it is anything Lester is doing or isn't doing I think a lot these guys realize they can get paid and they jump ship. As goofy as Lester is he dang sure can recruit some talent down there and it shows in the NFL. They have a lot of players in the NFL.
There is really nothing you can do, and frankly I'm surprised we haven't had the same level of attrition in our own right. All of these guys sign with you on the basis of getting them to the NFL, so it can only be expected that they bolt at first chance.

A few of the LSU guys who did it last year clearly made some serious mistakes in doing so (Montgomery and Wing, notably), and the LSU staff was hoping that would caution some guys about taking that leap this year, but clearly that's not happening with guys like Johnson and Ferguson leaving early. Again, I'm really just surprised (and thankful) the same thing hasn't happened in Tuscaloosa...

Last edited:

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Cannot see many leaving early at Auburn. In my eyes the only two real possibilities are Greg Robinson and Tre Mason. I suppose Sammie Coates is a possibility, but I tend to doubt he leaves now given how deep this wide receiver class has shaped up, not to mention the fact that Auburn will likely throw the football a bit better next season.
Tre Mason should go, because there is not a whole lot you can do as a RB to improve your draft status, other than run a faster 40 time at the combine. The extra wear and tear will only be a negative. The NFL would much rather get a RB 3 years from high school.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This will definitely make our game against LSU a lot more manageable next year. With these losses their offense will be average at best, even with Leonard Fournette. As for AU, I heard someone say on one of the shows that they should return almost all 11 starters on offense, except for Robinson the left tackle and maybe Tre Mason. AU will be a tough out for us next year also. I also expect their defense to improve, mainly because it would be hard to get any worse.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
LSU will still be loaded in raw talent. I expect it to be a dogfight by the time Alabama plays them. Unless of course their QB doesn't pan out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
This will definitely make our game against LSU a lot more manageable next year. With these losses their offense will be average at best, even with Leonard Fournette. As for AU, I heard someone say on one of the shows that they should return almost all 11 starters on offense, except for Robinson the left tackle and maybe Tre Mason. AU will be a tough out for us next year also. I also expect their defense to improve, mainly because it would be hard to get any worse.
Doesn't mean though the barn defense can't stay bad. Our defense had its struggles but they have had it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Anybody know whey Ego Ferguson didn't play in LSU's bowl game? They said he wasn't suspended.... said it was some kind of "medical issue".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.