Dr. Kevin Elko to Coach Saban "It's time to reinvent and rebuild the whole thing..."

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Re: Dr. Kevin Elko to Coach Saban "It's time to reinvent and rebuild Nick..."

Maybe a new motivational speaker? Just kidding (in case the sarcasm color doesn't work). But I do think we can expect to see some changes in how Saban prepares the team. Early this year many people said it was a two-game season (raises hand) A&M and LSU. After the second half of LSU, the team seemed to take that attitude, too. Going to be an interesting winter, I think.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: Dr. Kevin Elko to Coach Saban "It's time to reinvent and rebuild the whole thing.

Inspiration > motivation. ... and this is where the focus has to be because these kids get drained riding the emotional roller coaster

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Dr. Kevin Elko to Coach Saban "It's time to reinvent and rebuild the whole thing.

Finally -- This can only mean one thing.....

Sims at QB
Yeldon, Henry, and Drake in the Bone!

The Wishbone makes a comeback! WOO HOO!!! ;)

DESERTELEPHANT

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 1, 2009
Las Vegas

This is what I have been waiting to hear- fear,unrest and infighting. Now I know everything will be fine next year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Since CNS has never been anywhere long enough to run into this problem before, starting over at least plays to his strengths and his life's work.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A

Hmm, which team won tonight? The one modeled after a Saban team by a Sabah disciple.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

Reinvent the whole thing? I think that's an overstatement. We are doing a lot of things right.

It always has taken a good amount of luck to win titles, no matter how good a team is.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

I think he meant, stop using self-gratification so much. And more, lets make their back-side quit.

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010

I cannot see any need to burn it down and rebuild. Except for one freaky, fluke play, the Tide would have played FSU and spanked them.

As I watched this game I had this nagging thought that the OU team that played in the Sugar could have beaten either... especially FSU. OU has not lost to FSU since 1965.

National championships are difficult to obtain. A key injury here or there can eliminate a team. The dominoes hafta line up just right. Factors like fluke plays cannot be anticipated.

I know what it is like to EXPECT an NC every year but that flies in the face of reality. Luck, fate, or good fortune simply cannot be factored into the equation.

FSU is the champion. They defeated the opponent.

In a couple of months, the whole process will start up all over again.

With the best coach in the US and great recruits, the future is very bright indeed for Alabama.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

National championships are difficult to obtain. A key injury here or there can eliminate a team. The dominoes hafta line up just right. Factors like fluke plays cannot be anticipated.
If Bradley had not been hurt, we never would had to put up with "If Colt hadn't been hurt................"

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

As long as Coach sticks to the one play at a time philosophy, I think we will be fine. The one thing I fined odd is we beat ourselves this year, nothing more, nothing less.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

Hmm, which team won tonight? The one modeled after a Saban team by a Sabah disciple.
I agree, but Jimbo had a lot more time and talent than Gus.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Finally -- This can only mean one thing.....

Sims at QB
Yeldon, Henry, and Drake in the Bone!

The Wishbone makes a comeback! WOO HOO!!! ;)
That will be difficult with Derrick Henry moving to LB...

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia

Inspiration > motivation. ... and this is where the focus has to be because these kids get drained riding the emotional roller coaster
I think coach was also this year. how many times did he just not look that into it on game day? i think the talk of a 3peat, the Texas rumors that never stopped, the greatest team ever and the whole "greatest dynasty ever" stuff took a toll on the whole team this year, coaches included

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I cannot see any need to burn it down and rebuild. Except for one freaky, fluke play, the Tide would have played FSU and spanked them.
The problem was that it came down to that freaky fluke play. It was the little things that led us there. i.e. - false start on a field goal. needing one yard with two downs and not getting it - not because our guys were physically whipped, but because of mental mistakes on who to block left someone UN-blocked.

That's the stuff that kept us from being great this year, not the fluke play...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

If you have ever tried to motivate people, then you will know that it takes far more effort than most people realize. Most of us gravitate to the lowest common denominator -- to the easy path. We assume that we will be successful and that never works. I look for him to take a different motivational path...it will be interesting to see how that works out.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Folks, I don't think Dr. Elko was talking about schemes and formations, especially seeing he has no clue about them. But how Saban motivates players, how he prepares them mentally and emotionally. I'm not sure if he spoke to the team before the Sugar Bowl or at some point during the year but he mentioned that this years team didn't seem to "get it" like the Bama teams of the past he talked to.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.