Dr. Kevin Elko to Coach Saban "It's time to reinvent and rebuild the whole thing..."

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Dr. Kevin Elko to Coach Saban "It's time to reinvent and rebuild the whole thing.

Hmm, which team won tonight? The one modeled after a Saban team by a Sabah disciple.
With the exception that Fla St had a lot more team speed than we did. They're DL'men were able to quickly get into the backfield while still being able to clog the middle. Something we were unable to do.

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
Re: Dr. Kevin Elko to Coach Saban "It's time to reinvent and rebuild the whole thing.

Dr. Elko is definitely not talking about X and O's. It's a miracle that we got as far as we got with all the attitudes of our kids this year. I think we see a return of a much tougher Saban on the practice field and sidelines. You can "guide" a team like we have had last year and the year before, "let them go play", with leaders like AJ, Barrett, Courtney,Ingram and the likes of those monsters. Now you have a whole bunch of very talented but raw players that need that ole tyme Saban "coaching", ala "AJ's slap on the butt" coaching....This is what I expect.

TexasRed

3rd Team
Nov 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX

I agree that Saban needs to 'rebuild' in a sense. A lot of folks I talked to out here (media as well) were talking about Saban returning Texas to championship form as a challenge. Saban's already proven that he can turn a team around. I've always thought the big challenge for Saban is being able to sustain it. That's much more of an appropriate challenge for himI think than taking over another program.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Re: Dr. Kevin Elko to Coach Saban "It's time to reinvent and rebuild Nick..."

Maybe a new motivational speaker? Just kidding (in case the sarcasm color doesn't work).
Please God, never again for 'Bama that mumbling Northwestern-educated stumblebum, Joe Girardi.

silverstangboy

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 2, 2010

I really hope that this nexts years motivational word is sustain. I think even for our fans we have forgotten how huge of a challenge it is to win games much less ships.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

EVERY year is a rebuilding year. EVERY year requires new leadership to emerge. EVERY year requires the team to buy in. EVERY year requires building of team chemistry.

IMO Coach Saban has demonstrated that he is very good at all of this. EVERY year we have question marks and he seems to find answers to them. He can't be perfect, and cannot account for everything, but his process works. We have another great recruiting class coming in with what I see as some extremely high character prospects.

I have said this before, I will say it again. I am not panicking at all. We may not win it all next year, but we have as good and as complete a program in place as anywhere. I am more worried that too much will change than not enough.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Frankly, I suspect there is a good chance he's right, and it seems that Saban may very well agree with him as well. Maybe these kids come back home next year, so to speak, but with all of the off-field issues we had this year -- what, 14 different players suspended at one point? -- it's not hard to infer that a lot of the kids on the roster just tuned out the coaching staff.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

The problem was that it came down to that freaky fluke play. It was the little things that led us there. i.e. - false start on a field goal. needing one yard with two downs and not getting it - not because our guys were physically whipped, but because of mental mistakes on who to block left someone UN-blocked.

That's the stuff that kept us from being great this year, not the fluke play...
That`s exactly right.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

How realistic is it that Saban will really "rebuild the whole thing?" It isn't that easy. I think there will be changes next year but there are too many other things which will stop a huge defensive change (new qb, etc).
How realistic was it that Bear would rebuild a pass-happy offense built around quarterbacks like Scott Hunter, to a Wishbone offense? Sometimes wholesale change is necessary for the greater good. I don't think now is one if those times, but I am very interested to see how Coach responds and what he responds with.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Dr. Elko is the most popular motivational speaker requested by sports teams. Saban has used him A LOT over the years. He was on Finebaum today and FBomb asked him what is going on at Alabama. He said he talked to Nick after the Sugar Bowl and they talked. He said he told Nick it might be time to "Reinvent and rebuild the entire thing...." at Alabama. He said it seems the things Nick has done to get his teams up and ready have become stale. He didn't say Saban specifically said "Yeah I agee." But he implied that Saban agreed with him. Interesting interview.
I heard the interview and always make a point to listen when Dr. Elko is on the air. I took what he said as meaning more of a psychological overhaul rather that totally reinventing the wheel type of thing. I think we are going to see a coach open up to new ideas and push the envelop of his craft to rejuvenate the system he already has in place. Whatever is coming it is going to be good.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Sounds like it's time for Dr. Elko to hit the road and Coach Saban to bring in a new motivator. I have just the guy, too...

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX

Folks, I don't think Dr. Elko was talking about schemes and formations
Heard the interview too. Didn't really focus on his Bama angle other than saying he talked to Nick a couple of times. He also never talks about X's and O's, but he did point out that Saban needed to reinvent the wheel because Auburn had done it this year.

He didn't really come out and say that he even consulted with the Bama program this year. I know he does speak to Saban frequently but not sure if he interacted with the team.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

The problem was that it came down to that freaky fluke play. It was the little things that led us there. i.e. - false start on a field goal. needing one yard with two downs and not getting it - not because our guys were physically whipped, but because of mental mistakes on who to block left someone UN-blocked.

That's the stuff that kept us from being great this year, not the fluke play...
actually, if the freak play for the barn win in the uga game wouldn't have happened, we would have likely been playing in pasadena, even with a loss to the barn. our's was still a very good team this year.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I really hope that this nexts years motivational word is sustain. I think even for our fans we have forgotten how huge of a challenge it is to win games much less ships.
I think it should be "Kick booty" and take names later for each and every game!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

How realistic was it that Bear would rebuild a pass-happy offense built around quarterbacks like Scott Hunter, to a Wishbone offense? Sometimes wholesale change is necessary for the greater good. I don't think now is one if those times, but I am very interested to see how Coach responds and what he responds with.
The OFFENSE scored enough points in each and every game this year to win! The PROBLEM was the DEFENSE and some special teams play.

Now, next year we are not going to score as many points as we did this year! No proven QB! So the DEFENSE and Special Teams play will have to greatly improve.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.