Additional thought on defending the HUNH...

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
I agree with you that this issue seems to be somewhat limited to AU in how they huddle 2 yards from the LOS, call a play, & turn to snap the ball in about 2 seconds. I see this as a gimmick used exactly how you described it above. Somewhat "sucker punching" the defense. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you stop someone from doing it. A rule for a minimum time from huddle to snap would be tough due to possibly running up against the pay clock. It would require teams to get their play call in even faster in order to break the huddle in time to allow for the mandatory 6-8 seconds for defensive adjustments. I'm not sure how to handle that..... I certainly think more teams will be doing this next season.
Teams will still need to have their players set for one second and avoid false starts, which I think is harder to do when you're rushing about.

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
I disagree with this. They are two separate issues entirely. Tempo did not isolate our corners, scheme did in defending the various option responsibilities. Tempo enabled Aubunr from allowing anyone to make pre-snap adjustments based on formation & etc... You simply don't have time to make the play call on defense.
They are not two separate issues. Our corners were forced to play man due to the inability to make pre-snap adjusments. Or we caught in the wrong zone coverage. Its six of one of half dozen of the other. The bottom line is, what the HUNH is doing is not illegal. I think we sound like a bunch of whiners asking the refs to save us from the terrible HUNH. Imagine how absurd it would sound if the situation was reversed and our defense was so suffocating that offensive teams said it should be illegal for our defenssive coordinator to communicate changes from the sideline to the defense. That he should have to be in the booth and we could only signal the original play and our defensive players had to make all of the changes. Ridiculous right?

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
They are not two separate issues. Our corners were forced to play man due to the inability to make pre-snap adjusments. Or we caught in the wrong zone coverage. Its six of one of half dozen of the other. The bottom line is, what the HUNH is doing is not illegal. I think we sound like a bunch of whiners asking the refs to save us from the terrible HUNH. Imagine how absurd it would sound if the situation was reversed and our defense was so suffocating that offensive teams said it should be illegal for our defenssive coordinator to communicate changes from the sideline to the defense. That he should have to be in the booth and we could only signal the original play and our defensive players had to make all of the changes. Ridiculous right?
No one is claiming that the offense is illegal..... However, IMO it is no different than sucker punching someone in a fight while they are taking off their jacket to fight you. If you want to fight someone, let them get ready to fight. Again, I'm not asking the officals to save "us" from the HUNH. I simply think that this style of offense is putrid to watch. It seems to me it is admitting that your team can't stand toe to toe with another and just line up and play, therefore, you have to resort to this stuff. As someone mentioned above, it is like watching peewee football.....complete gimmick. Also, I would be fine with the example you gave of our defensive players having to make the calls instead of the coaches....just give them time to do it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Go back to the IB. They ran the huddle-up-and-hurry stuff to start the game.

Oklahoma did it, too. That to me is more difficult to defend than what Oregon runs.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Oklahoma did it, too. That to me is more difficult to defend than what Oregon runs.
Agreed. What Oregon runs is a legit scheme. I have no problem with schemes. Run any offensive scheme you want to best utilize your personel.

The quick-snap, hurry-up is what I hate. It's a total gimmick, not a scheme....

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

I haven't watched the sugar bowl again, but i dare say that a 1/3 of the time ou ran the "huddle and hurry"...they were not set a full second before the ball was snapped.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Aw shucks! Its a BCS bowl game, some around here say you gotta let silly stuff like rules and such go, Unless heaven forbid someone actually lays the wood to someone then you better throw his @$$ out of the game. This is football you know! Hell if the game keeps going like it is, we will need to put a third digit on the scoreboard and forget running a defense on the field just spot the ball and see who can score the fastest that way nobody gets hit and nobody gets hurt.
I haven't watched the sugar bowl again, but i dare say that a 1/3 of the time ou ran the "huddle and hurry"...they were not set a full second before the ball was snapped.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I know they ran it a good number of times. It's more difficult for a defense than a team just going straight no huddle and lining up then looking at the sideline.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
On the HUNH I'll just add this...

Saban hinted at the real problem this presents in the post-BCSNCG show, where he talked about how the HU with a quick snap virtually eliminates a defense's ability to stem and give multiple looks pre-snap. You just don't have time to do it, because you have to scramble like hell just to get lined up properly, and the ball gets snapped immediately. For all that has been discussed over the years about how the multiple looks from Saban's 3-4 defense gives opposing offenses a hard time, an offense basically eliminates that concern entirely with the HU and the quick snap. In hindsight, it's really a surprise that OC's didn't seize on this a lot sooner than they did, although now it has essentially become the status quo.

That notwithstanding, though, we really haven't had a major issue stopping the HUNH itself, as opposed to just stopping good passing games. If you look at how we played against the two of the three biggest SEC proponents of the HUNH -- Auburn and Ole Miss -- we actually fared relatively well, despite a few major discipline-based breakdowns in the Iron Bowl. The bigger issue we had was that any time we played a team with an above-average pass game, we were just eaten alive. That's really the issue we had against A&M. We did well enough, relatively speaking, against the hurry-up, but Manziel rained bombs on us all day through the air like a video game trailer.

I posted this on the recruiting board yesterday, but will reiterate here in this forum. Against the three best passing teams we faced all season -- A&M, LSU, and Oklahoma -- we gave up a combined 76-106 for 1053 yards, 10 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions. That's a 71.6% completion percentage, 13.8 yards per completion, 9.9 yards per attempt, all with a better than 3-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio. That's not quite 2001-type bad in terms of pass defense, but it's dangerously close, and that's more of a personnel and scheme issue than anything else. As long as we have a non-existent pass rush mixed together with bad cornerback play -- not to mention safeties routinely isolated on wide receivers due to the lack of quality CB depth -- we are going to get lit up by quality passing games, and those teams will convert third-and-long like most teams convert third-and-two.

My point here is that I think we will be fine in time against the HUNH itself, even though that obviously does cause some substitution and pre-snap alignment issues. That non-existent pass rush and bad CB play, though, we are really going to have to go back to the drawing board on our own end. It may very well be time for a pretty big revamp defensively in terms of personnel types and recruiting strategy.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
As for the offense itself I have no problem with it. Like Earle said it is really not the offense itself. The problem I have is the manipulation of the rules and integrity of the game. If you watched the game last night, the SEC championship and our game with Auburn, (these are really the only three I paid close attention to this year) what you see is not only pressure on the defense, but pressure on the officials. They are continually rushing to put the ball in play and regularly out of position which results in missed calls and generally poor officiating. I cannot find in the rules where the officials are under some obligation to rush the ball into play. I have not looked, but does anyone know of a rule that forbids a player from faking an injury? If not I think I would have a D lineman fake an ankle or cramp every other play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As for the offense itself I have no problem with it. Like Earle said it is really not the offense itself. The problem I have is the manipulation of the rules and integrity of the game. If you watched the game last night, the SEC championship and our game with Auburn, (these are really the only three I paid close attention to this year) what you see is not only pressure on the defense, but pressure on the officials. They are continually rushing to put the ball in play and regularly out of position which results in missed calls and generally poor officiating. I cannot find in the rules where the officials are under some obligation to rush the ball into play. I have not looked, but does anyone know of a rule that forbids a player from faking an injury? If not I think I would have a D lineman fake an ankle or cramp every other play.
There were several times the official who spots the ball took time to allow his officials to get in place and Gus went nuts on the sidelines. Herby pointed it out twice that I can remember.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
What I noticed tonight was AU in a "huddle" for almost ten seconds and then spinning around into a new formation with only a few seconds before the clock ran out and snapping the ball within two seconds of breaking huddle. Earlier, I had thought that allowing only 6-8 seconds between snaps would balance the game again, but it obviously won't. A new rule needs to apply to how many seconds from huddle to snap. Even if the defense is not allowed to sub, it at least deserves the time to get set (something HUNH teams are not doing now)...
Although I agree with what you say, I just don't think it is likely to happen, what with all the NCAA types wanting to see more Offense.....
Only way they will likely address it is, if it were to become somewhat of a proven safety issue... JMO!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
No rules per se need to be added but the refs need to instructed in the offseason that they are not to cater to one type offense with regard to speed of setting the ball and marking ready for play. There needs to be a consistent pace and that pace kept when both teams are on offense. But rushing so fast to the point where they are not in position to properly officiate the game hurts the integrity of the game.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
No rules per se need to be added but the refs need to instructed in the offseason that they are not to cater to one type offense with regard to speed of setting the ball and marking ready for play. There needs to be a consistent pace and that pace kept when both teams are on offense. But rushing so fast to the point where they are not in position to properly officiate the game hurts the integrity of the game.
I agree, This solves the problem. Don't give in to the coach screaming from the sideline or the QB "spotting" the ball and racing to the line of scrimmage. Simply call the game according to the rules with a normal and consistent pace. If the officials can't do their job the integrity of the game is lost. There are many plays when teams start the ultra fast pace where the officials are in no position to do their job and further they get winded and can't hustle to be in position as the play develops. I have a couple of personal friend who referee in the SEC and both have mentioned and one very clearly admitted that several plays into a drive this is a problem. I think they need to be in shape, but this is detrimental to the game. I am all for using the rules to your advantage, (see tear away jerseys etc...) but using the inability to properly officiate a game is detrimental to the integrity of the sport. Trust me, I have no problem with stealing signs in baseball or football, playing defense as aggressively as officials will allow in basketball or whatever. That is simply part of the game. That is why you disguise and change signs or shield your signal caller with a towel, part of the game, but impeding the ability of officials to do their job shouldn't happen.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This tells me one of two things. Either Bama's offense is better than FSU's or Auburn's defense is better than anyone wants to say. Prior to the Iron Bowl, I looked at the stats of both teams and how they fared by comparing their opponent's output against its average. Auburn did much better than I expected. That defense had holes, but it was better than we expected.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Why not have the tackler stay on top of the ball carrier for as long as possible. Make the ball carrier struggle to get up, and maybe even try to kick his way out, which might lead to a unnecessary roughness penalty.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
As I have said before, a small part of this offseason should be devoted to reviewing game film from games where we faced HUNH and compiling a tape of all of the missed calls to send to the SEC office. I am sure that there will be plenty of instances where illegal motion, illegal formations, illegal substitutions, ineligible receivers downfield, etc. will have been missed due to the pace of the game. This will force the conference to take a hard look at the officiating and hopefully come up with some sort of solution. Likewise, I'd like to start seeing unsportsmanlike conduct penalties called on coaches and/or players that verbally abuse officials in an effort to speed them up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.