Unsportsman like conduct call/no call and other ramblings

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
There were at least 3 late hits out of bounds. This group of ref's did a really bad job. Lot's of no calls or missed calls. RTR

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Is it just me, or does it seem that Auburn is usually on the good side of blown calls, or no calls?? It sure seemed that they always got the benefit against us, and last night too??

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I know in the NFL that if the ball breaks the plane its a touchback. In college I thought it could break the plane but the player couldn't be standing in the endzone. For instance the ball bounces across the goal line and the pursuing player dives at the ball without touching the goal line and tosses or bats the ball back into the field of play. If you can stand in the endzone why worry about standing in the endzone and just toss it out when it bounces to you. It doesn't make since, maybe your body can be in the endzone as long as the ball never crosses, heck Im not sure. One thing is for sure they didn't call it or give it a second thought.
My Understanding:

In college, the ball can cross the plane and if it never touches the ground it can still be downed. A player who has not touched the endzone can cross the plane by jumping and swat the ball back over the line to have a teammate down it. However, if a player is standing in the endzone and touches the ball, it is a touchback. Think of it as the ball being "grounded" by the player. This only applies in the endzone though as you can't have the special teams leaping about swatting the punt down the field every time the ball bounces.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
You won't see a more textbook horsecollar tackle than the one last night. MD got flagged in the Texas NCG and the only difference in what he and TM did last night was throwing the ball horizontally vs. vertically. It's all good though...the "team of destiny" finally lost their horseshoe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
That was my thought. So wasn't the punt a touchback since the barner was touching the goal line?
My Understanding:

In college, the ball can cross the plane and if it never touches the ground it can still be downed. A player who has not touched the endzone can cross the plane by jumping and swat the ball back over the line to have a teammate down it. However, if a player is standing in the endzone and touches the ball, it is a touchback. Think of it as the ball being "grounded" by the player. This only applies in the endzone though as you can't have the special teams leaping about swatting the punt down the field every time the ball bounces.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
That was my thought. So wasn't the punt a touchback since the barner was touching the goal line?
Not if the ball never crossed the plane, no. A player CAN down a ball with a part of his body in the endzone as long as the ball never crosses the plane.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Not if the ball never crossed the plane, no. A player CAN down a ball with a part of his body in the endzone as long as the ball never crosses the plane.
I don't think this is correct. I've seen players with a half a shoe on the goal line touch a ball that never crossed the plane and get a touchhback called.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The bigger missed call was the horse collar on the FSU receiver Greene on the long pass play during the last drive. It looked like Auburn got his face mask too. Greene had outrun the Auburn defender and was going to score. The only way he could have stopped him was to horse collar but the refs missed it. If FSU comes up short on the last drive, that missed call would have been huge as that should have been half the distance to the goal.
This actually helped FSU in a way. It allowed them to run more time off the clock before they scored. This only gave AU 13 seconds at the end of the game.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Is it just me, or does it seem that Auburn is usually on the good side of blown calls, or no calls?? It sure seemed that they always got the benefit against us, and last night too??
And what about plain "lady luck", too? They had, what, three muffed kicks/punts back-to-back-to-back? They recovered all three with defenders nearby on every one. What are the odds of that?

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
And what about plain "lady luck", too? They had, what, three muffed kicks/punts back-to-back-to-back? They recovered all three with defenders nearby on every one. What are the odds of that?
The barn and LSU both gameplan for at least one TD based on blind luck and horrible officiating.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
I kinda agree about "letting 'em play" in a championship game, up to a point. Like maybe an iffy holding call or PI. But a flagrant horse collar or face mask like *U got away with, no way should it not be called.

And the umpire (or whoever marks the ball ready for the next play) should stand over the ball until all the other officials are in place and with their eyes and minds clearly ready for the next play. Le t Ol' Gus (or whoever) stand on the side lines and scream all he wants, but this is only fair.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I don't think this is correct. I've seen players with a half a shoe on the goal line touch a ball that never crossed the plane and get a touchhback called.
You people have a conference problem. I believe the rule is just based on the ball. Each time it happens at BDS, Eli explains that, and then the SEC refs call it a touchback NO MATTER WHAT. Other conferences' officials call this more accurately and I hate it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.