Question: What did you take away from last night's Fla St victory?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It reinforced my belief that all the chicken-littles running around claiming CNS has to rework his philosophy don't know a lot about football.
Agree with you to some extent, because in reality how you play is a product of the quality of the players on the field. The scheme is important, but you can win if you have better players almost regardless of the system you play.

I do also think there needs to be some tweaks to our offense and defense. Offensively we got away from what we are and always have been, a power running team. A power running team keeps the opposing offenses off the field and eats up time, something we didn't do this year. Defensively we need to be less passive in rushing the passer. We live by containment of the QB which doesn't work with these HUNH offenses. We must have a base call when we play these HUNH offenses so we are ready to play at the snap of the ball. We need to have athletes who may be smaller faster kids who can cover more ground. We need a 2 gap NT in the worst kind of way.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
1. Offensive genius Gus Malzahn stopped handing the ball to Mason in the 3rd quarter. AU scored 0 points in the 3rd quarter.

2. FSU's agreessive offense worked will int he ACC where they could rush out to a lead and get thte other team out of their game plan. It's a little harder against solid competition.

3. I would have loved to watch a FSU-Mich St game.

4. Not sure we could have beaten FSU, particularly w Steen out. OL play was just too inconsistent.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
RANDOM THINGS:
Winston is susceptible to pressure.
We need a solid pass rush to do more than 'Effect the QB'.
FSU slimmed down a couple of guys to make them faster. We need to do the same thing.
Gus still has a little magic in his hat...
We can't take any team lightly.
We need to play 60 minutes of 'Smash Mouth Football'. (we kinda got away from that this year)
We need to scheme better on Offense. TOO PREDICTABLE.
Basically agree with your bullet points, but the last two are a little contradictory. Auburn was smash mouth and very predictable but they were hard to stop. When we have been able to play smash mouth (remember MI against USCe in '09 or EL last year against ND) everybody knows what's coming but it can't be stopped.

The nature of grinding the ball with power runs then sets up the play action and that is when we can get wide-open looks in the secondary.

It reinforced my belief that all the chicken-littles running around claiming CNS has to rework his philosophy don't know a lot about football.
EXACTLY!!! It had to be enjoyable for CNS to beam inwardly that two of his disciples put together a game plan that worked against the Barn, even though FSU struggled with their execution. But sticking to their guns allowed them to get it done in the end!!!

ON THE DISCUSSION ABOUT A NOSEGUARD LIKE CODY OR JESSE: I think BamaBuzzard is on the right tract. It seems CNS is recruiting more athletic, quicker guys on the DL and I expect us to go a little smaller there in the future, but still have some beef for when we play LSU type teams.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We need to have athletes who may be smaller faster kids who can cover more ground. We need a 2 gap NT in the worst kind of way.
I don't think a scheme/philosophy change is needed. But players on defense specifically at the LB and DL positions who can stay on the field and do a little bit of everything. Because with HUNH the substitutions and specialized packages Saban likes to implement and what makes his defenses so effective are nullified. Leaving big bodied guys out there for long periods of time getting worn down by the second.

BornABamaFan

2nd Team
Nov 22, 2011
Brandon,MS
Though I liked the outcome of the game, something just doesn't sit right knowing that the winning team only had to get up for ONE game all year!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Though I liked the outcome of the game, something just doesn't sit right knowing that the winning team only had to get up for ONE game all year!!
That's college football for you. I don't like it either but this isn't the pros and the talent is not going to be the same from team to team or conference to conference. It's unfortunate because teams like Ohio St and Fla St have a much easier time getting to the title game. But what do you do? Ban them from it until their conference as a whole gets better?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
That's college football for you. I don't like it either but this isn't the pros and the talent is not going to be the same from team to team or conference to conference. It's unfortunate because teams like Ohio St and Fla St have a much easier time getting to the title game. But what do you do? Ban them from it until their conference as a whole gets better?
We were 1 play from being there again, and I think its likely we would have won if we played like we did against LSU. If we played like we did agianst AU or OU we would have been killed.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
We were 1 play from being there again, and I think its likely we would have won if we played like we did against LSU. If we played like we did agianst AU or OU we would have been killed.
Yeah, the problem is it would have been a crap shoot as to which team showed up. We got away with bad play because a lot of the offenses we faced really weren't that great nor were the defenses. Some were down right awful. Tennessee and Kentucky were pitiful. Arkansas could may have been worse. But either way we got a very favorable schedule this season and thank goodness we did because if we would have drawn Missouri and South Carolina and showed up and played like we played at times this season there's 2010 all over again.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agree and to add: When a team from a weaker conference faces a team from a stronger one they will usually be overwhelmed for much of the game.

Despite the Barn bringing the weakest defense the SEC has brought to the title game in recent memory (probably ever), FSU was still caught off guard for 3 quarters.

Look for some blow outs in the semi finals of the new four team playoffs when SEC teams meet some teams from weaker conferences that got there by skating through a weak schedule.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
What I took away was that a fake punt changed the momentum of the game. Had FSU punted at that point, Auburn probably would have scored and put this game out of reach. Jimbo Fisher should be credited with a good job of decision making at that point of the game. I also gathered that a Heisman trophy was won playing against lousy defenses and FSU would not have been undefeated if not for playing in the ACC.
I can't believe Auburn didn't know that was coming. FSU really didn't have a choice at that point. They had to try something, anything to change the mo. If Auburn had of shut down that fake they may have won by five touchdowns. It was indeed a huge play.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
We live be containment of the QB which doesn't work with these HUNH offenses.
AGREE - I think we treat all "mobile" QBs as the same. In truth, there's a huge difference between Manziel and Marshall. I watched Nick Marshall last night, and for all of his speed that makes him an effective runner, he is not his best as an effective scrambler/escape artist. (insert grumbling about late TD pass against us) Manziel is best as a creator, not a designed runner. So you don't blitz him the same, you contain him.

Marshall is looking for a seam to run a straight line through - he's not looking to dance around and extend the play necessarily. Your DEs can't fly up the field and make it easy for him, but if you collapse the pocket you're going to get him more often than not.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What I took away from last night's FSU victory: that the SEC had won seven "7" consecutive BCSNCG's until the Barn screwed it up last night.

What are the Barners going to do with all that toilet paper stored up for occasions such as this? Florida didn't screw it up! LSU didn't screw it up! Alabama didn't screw it up! The Barn did!

I'm sure those Barners felt helpless as that FSU guy returned that Kick-off in a speedy fashion. What's good for the goose is good for the gander or something like that.

I actually wanted to see both teams lose. Since that was not possible, I pulled for a former Saban assistant to win.

Another thing I took away from the game: Coach Saban told everyone that the Barn needed to score at least 35 points to beat FSU? Well, they just didn't listen to our coach and they LOST.

Another thing: what happened to all the MIRACLES. Is the Barn fresh out of Miracles?

Does the Governor need to have the flags at half-mast today for all the mourning in West Georgia?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Basically agree with your bullet points, but the last two are a little contradictory. Auburn was smash mouth and very predictable but they were hard to stop. When we have been able to play smash mouth (remember MI against USCe in '09 or EL last year against ND) everybody knows what's coming but it can't be stopped.

The nature of grinding the ball with power runs then sets up the play action and that is when we can get wide-open looks in the secondary.

EXACTLY!!! It had to be enjoyable for CNS to beam inwardly that two of his disciples put together a game plan that worked against the Barn, even though FSU struggled with their execution. But sticking to their guns allowed them to get it done in the end!!!

ON THE DISCUSSION ABOUT A NOSEGUARD LIKE CODY OR JESSE: I think BamaBuzzard is on the right tract. It seems CNS is recruiting more athletic, quicker guys on the DL and I expect us to go a little smaller there in the future, but still have some beef for when we play LSU type teams.

not so sure about us going smaller, unless you mean like Jessie Williams is 'small' at 325 next to mount cody at 350+. We've got 4 DTs signed for the incoming class that are 300+ lbs and are trying to get at least one more, one of whom is 375 (!?!?!?!)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
not so sure about us going smaller, unless you mean like Jessie Williams is 'small' at 325 next to mount cody at 350+. We've got 4 DTs signed for the incoming class that are 300+ lbs and are trying to get at least one more, one of whom is 375 (!?!?!?!)
That's going to have to change. The HUNH greatly limits their effectiveness and smaller (295 lb) DL have a better chance of stopping the run and keeping up with the HUNH. But the 300+ have next to no chance of doing both.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
No phantom penalty on a made field goal, or make one of the other missed field goals and we play in the NCG and beat FSU by 13.

Bama's defense give up less points to awburn than the FSU defense. I agree some minor adjustments need to be made for the HUNH teams but those looking for an overhaul are going to be disappointed.

People are going to have to get used to higher scoring games period.
Alabama's bland, predictable play calling needs to change as much as defense.

I think there are more championships coming to T Town.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No phantom penalty on a made field goal, or make one of the other missed field goals and we play in the NCG and beat FSU by 13.

Bama's defense give up less points to awburn than the FSU defense. I agree some minor adjustments need to be made for the HUNH teams but those looking for an overhaul are going to be disappointed.

People are going to have to get used to higher scoring games period.
Alabama's bland, predictable play calling needs to change as much as defense.

I think there are more championships coming to T Town.
We'll never know what might have happened if Cade makes another fg or that penalty wasn't called on the one he made.

However, I think it's possible that we might have escaped getting beat last night. I know some will disagree but we got by most of the year with an inferior defense and OL (compared to our other championship years).

No way we pressure FSU like Auburn did last night and with more time to throw JW likely carves up our secondary.

Hey, I wish we would have had the opportunity. Maybe our defense could have shored itself up and our OL would have played better after 30 days of rest/practice.

Like I said, we'll never know but I'm not confident we would have beat FSU last night.

BamaGal99

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2011
In the final analysis - FSU was able to do 3 things we could not against the barn

1 - Pressure & contain Nick Marshall
2 - Protect their own QB (for the most part) when it counted
3 - Execute a final drive to win the game (made possible by #2)
I'll give you #1 and #3, but I have a question about #2. How many times did AU sack AJ? I thought it was just one when OJ Howard didn't jam the defender at the line before running his route and AJ basically laid down on the ground. Maybe I am misremembering, but I do know that Winston took lots of sacks (and I personally thought that he looked slow as molasses when he ran). I know we took a ton of sacks against Chokelahoma, but I thought AJ stayed pretty clean against AU.
I agree with what another poster said and I've said it for a month - I believe our defense did enough to win both games. I think our offense is where we faltered. Oh well...on to next year!! ROLL TIDE!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It took it as..anyone can win or lose on any given day. FSU thought they could easily win this..but got a big kick in the butt in the first half. Then they made the halftime adjustments and decided they wanted to win the game.

I also learned, this is the best way for Auburn to lose. They had their hopes up for almost 3 quarters, then almost again in the last couple minutes. Then it was taken away...a thing of beauty.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.