Is Griffith the Kicker next season?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
and I hate to bring it up, especially since Cade so really good for the first part of this year, but what the heck happened with him in the last couple of games? He went from being very reliable to not very good at all. Did he get banged up or something else impact his form?
A lot more pressure toward the end of the year. I think they all played a little tighter toward the end.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
From everything I hear coach is starting over this year. That means back to boot camp and every position is open. If Adam wins the position battle then yes, he will be the guy.

BornABamaFan

2nd Team
Nov 22, 2011
Brandon,MS
I can drop kick a rugby ball (you have to let it hit the ground and kick it after the bounce) half the length of a Rugby field (70-80yds) and did it successfully 4 out of 5 attempts to win a bet. Soccer players for place kicking and Aussie rules players for punting.

Most semi fit soccer players would routinely make 40-50 field goals, but it's a different ball game when you have 11 man-mountains trying to rip your head off. Which is exactly the reason I never played rugby :D.
For sure you can find us a punter(and I mean the American term,ha) there in Scotland. LSU's punter Brad Wing's father kicked for the Scottish Claymores back in the day!! Preferably a young Ranger!

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
God, I hope Griffith is the kicker next year. He is a freak. Just wait and see. He will have a 60+ yarder under his belt before he graduates.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
I don't know who the kicker will be next year, but assume Griffith leads at the moment. I recall watching his highlight films when we were recruiting him a couple of years ago, and was incredibly impressed with his raw ability in both distance and accuracy. I would hope that no one would base an opinion on his first collegiate attempt from 60+ yards on the final play of the Iron Bowl to win/lose the game. I don't know many, even professional, or even Peter Kim, who was arguably the greatest ever at the Capstone who wouldn't choke in that situation.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
No matter who the kicker is, I sure hope our coaches will let him BOOM the kick-offs out if the end zone, I absolutely hate those short placement kicks we like to do..Just kick the ball out of the end zone & not chance a long kick return that usually gives other teams the "Big Mo"..

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
hard to evaluate kickers in high school for 2 main reasons. you are kicking in front of a few thousand people you see everyday in a high school football game vs several thousand at deafening noise levels and millions watching on tv. And the goal posts in college are narrower.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
No matter who the kicker is, I sure hope our coaches will let him BOOM the kick-offs out if the end zone, I absolutely hate those short placement kicks we like to do..Just kick the ball out of the end zone & not chance a long kick return that usually gives other teams the "Big Mo"..
Just ask the barn if they wish their guy had kicked it out of the endzone the other night.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just ask the barn if they wish their guy had kicked it out of the endzone the other night.
This.

It amazes me how so many schools have kickers that can just drill kicks out of the EZ and yet we struggle to get it deep into the paint, much less beyond, with consistency.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
This.

It amazes me how so many schools have kickers that can just drill kicks out of the EZ and yet we struggle to get it deep into the paint, much less beyond, with consistency.
Drives me nuts as well. I know scholarships are limited, but what is it worth to force teams to start at the 25 after every kickoff?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This.

If you can get it high and drive it to the 10 yard line -- and can tackle them shy of the 20 -- you are making up 5+ yards of field position and increasing the odds of a turnover.....I think that's the strategy behind it.

BUT, I agree, there are times when kicking it through the end zone is a much preferred scenario.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think we kicked to around the Five on purpose. Depending on coverage to stop them close to the Twenty.
BUT...
Sometimes that strategy bites you...

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I haven't seen AG practice, but his 57 yard kick certainly wasn't bad. He had the pretty spin. loft, and direction that often eluded CF. He just needed to be kicking from 50 yards or less. His loft, i.e. ability to kick over the line, looks good; many kickers will kick with less loft for long kicks and get blocked.

That said, I believe I read here that AG was behind CF in terms of accuracy, i.e. many kicks were this pretty while others were off target. I would love to hear how things were going in practice later in the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.