And so it begins: Auburn fans blaming loss on referees.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
I can say one thing, the barners in my office have been mighty quiet yesterday and this morning. Just like in 2010 when everyone knew the title was bought and paid for, they can't even enjoy the Iron Bowl and SEC title win because of the big letdown of Monday night. I LOVE IT.
Let those sleeping dogs lie!!!

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
At the Iron Bowl this year, I have never seen a group that is so sure their opponent is holding on every play and they are not. I get that holding happens on every single play, I just feel okay knowing the ref gives me the same advantage in that area as he gives them. I want holding called when a guy gets beat and holds to keep him from making a play, not just whenever a guy grabs a little bit of jersey because that is what happens on the LoS. Why they are so sure the refs have a rooting interest here I cannot figure out.

I thought the NCG was very fairly called. I don't want to say it was well called, but both sides were allowed a long leash, which IMO is how it should play out. Yes, the horse collar was clearly missed, the facemask was missed (although certainly harder for a ref to see in real time - most of the time a facemask is moving towards the offender and there's a head snap because of it, in this case Jameis was moving away from the offender and it did not cause as much of a noticeable difference - still clearly happened and should have been called) but I don't think either side can honestly say that the refs had a significant impact on the game.

I also see a huge difference between the FSU taunting call and Mason - Mason was off of the field walking towards the Auburn sideline and did the Heisman pose to a camera. The FSU guy was over by the Auburn side and pointed towards them. I think there is a big difference between the two. That said, I don't think either should have been called, because it is a championship game and complaining about taunting just sounds like a lot of whining IMO.

BamaGal99

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2011
bamaslaw, I didn't think he should've been flagged for the Heisman pose...but he should've gotten an easy 15 for spiking the football! Oh well...I am just glad they lost so I don't have to hear about it for the next year. :)

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I noticed the barn DB's fighting with the FSU WR's all night long. What happened to the rule about once the QB has released the ball? No calls went both ways the way I saw it. If the barn would have won you wouldn't be reading this.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
A barner I work with who is otherwise a reasonable guy swears that there is an SEC conspiracy that allows Bama to hold on every play. I thought that he was kidding for the longest because he is a reasonable guy, but he truly insists that this is the case. I swear to you that he believe this. In fact he has a college buddy who works in some lower level capacity in the barn AD and he called him and put him on speaker to "confirm" this with me one day. Truth is that Navid Nousel is not the only nut case on or from the plains. I hold firm to my belief that it is a cult like mentality down there. Individually or absent barn football, or barn anything really. They can convince themselves despite facts that they are morally, academically or whatever superior because they are Auburn. Just like the constant drone of the "God thing" from them. Weird folks I tell you.

bamawind

Scout Team
Sep 23, 2006
Re: And so it begins: Auburn fans blaming lost on referees.

What trees? Didn't those die?
long as we are talking calls. How bout the no call on the Auburn punter that nearly knocked himself out lead with his helmet on the C Jones return late in the game.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

I don't know but they rolled something at Toomer's after their loss Monday night.
Somebody told me they began rolling the poles at Toomer's on Monday night at halftime. If it's true, then that is insanely funny!

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

It's ironic, too, because the reason Malzhan runs the HUNH is so that he can bend the rules or just blantantly cheat. The officials are so overwhelmed by the trickery they can't catch all the holding, the ineligible receivers downfield, and the like.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a barn player sneak the ball under his jersey next year. Seriously.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Somebody told me they began rolling the poles at Toomer's on Monday night at halftime. If it's true, then that is insanely funny!
Believe it or not, they rolled the power lines until the early 90s, when the lines were buried. That's when they started rolling the trees. Now, they've put up fake power poles, nullifying any aesthetic effect gained from burying the lines in the first place. The only advantage to the burying is aesthetic at the latitude of Auburn. Further north, it protects against ice and deadfalls from wind, etc. The cost is far, far higher and they don't last as long as air lines...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.