Winston, TPD and Maybe FSU to Face Civil Lawsuit

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Hopefully, justice will be served...one way or the other. To the well-informed out there...should the SA have turned it over to the Grand Jury for disposition?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Against FSU, it's going to run into the old "sovereign immunity" problem and maybe against the TPD also. I'm not familiar with FL law on that, but I think it would be about the same as in the other common law states - the sovereign can only be sued to the extent he (it) permits. However, with someone like JW, if she can get a judgment, she can "book" it and it'll follow him until he can pay it - unless he bankrupts out from under it, which is probable...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good article on Deadspin about the situation.......

The decision not to charge Jameis Winston didn't teach us anything about the Florida State QB's guilt or innocence, but it did hammer home an old lesson: The system is stacked against sexual assault victims.

Last month, after prosecutors giggled their way through a press conference, former public defender Julie DiCaro revisited her own rape and used the Winston case to explain why so many women fear to come forward.
http://deadspin.com/why-i-believe-jameis-winstons-accuser-1479782169/1495866463/@barryap

LINK: Rest of the story from Deadspin

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Against FSU, it's going to run into the old "sovereign immunity" problem and maybe against the TPD also. I'm not familiar with FL law on that, but I think it would be about the same as in the other common law states - the sovereign can only be sued to the extent he (it) permits. However, with someone like JW, if she can get a judgment, she can "book" it and it'll follow him until he can pay it - unless he bankrupts out from under it, which is probable...
All very true.

If filed against Winston - which I think will happen - and he is found guilty - with a public trial - and the evidence aired for "everyone" to see - it will damage all party's reputation - and regardless of monetary outcome result in a huge embarassment for law enforcement and the school...as well as the Heisman committee...

That alone would huge.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Hopefully, justice will be served...one way or the other. To the well-informed out there...should the SA have turned it over to the Grand Jury for disposition?
I am not a lawyer, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in years, but having seen this process occur while a student at the University of Alabama, I think that the State's Attorney should definitely have turned this over to a grand jury. I listened to some sleazebag defense attorney on sports radio here in Atlanta when the whole mess was boiling over, and he tried to float the argument that grand juries indict every case that that see. However, I saw exactly the opposite occur as a student. When the grand jury saw the complete lack of evidence (the rape kit not only did not show rape, but did not even confirm that sexual activity had occurred), they threw the case out. Later, I worked with a girl who was in the same sorority as the accuser, and she told me that the girl was simply looking for an excuse for failing out of school (two semesters of 0.0). Mind you, this was back when we only had 11 national championships, so social media did not exist, and the young man who was being accused was just a student.

My point is, a grand jury isn't going to indict someone if there is no evidence to support it, regardless of what Joe Q. Sleazebag, ESQ. says. I think that Meggs knew good and well that if this thing went to a grand jury, that there would be plenty of evidence for an indictment, so he put on his disgusting dog and pony show to announce that they didn't think they could get a conviction. That's not up to him to decide.

DESERTELEPHANT

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 1, 2009
Las Vegas
FSU had better tread carefully here as they easily could wind up being chapter two of Penn State. Their fan base is out in full deny,defend and attack mode so they are all in just like PSU. If any info is found that links the athletic department or university to any attempt to influence a criminal investigation this could blow up in their face.You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the administrations fingerprints all over this investigation so far. Just look to the AD and president at PSU for a reference. FSU has a history of being able to handle scandals of this nature going back to the Bowden days so everything might work out for them but my advise to them would be to think twice before going all in on a situation like this.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Now, can another name come up in the investigation? Also if he's found guilty, his stripping of the Heisman would come years later on some Reggie Bush stuff.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
So basically, even though people are ready to call JW a scumbag and a rapist, all we really know is two people and two other witnesses claim that sex did occur.

3 of them (including JW) say it all was (or seemed) consensual to them, after a normal night out by college kids. We can assume that some alcohol or other mood altering substance may have been involved, but I'm not sure of that.

1 of them (the alleged victim) says it was not consensual. And that person also was allegedly shown to have the DNA from 2 men on her clothing (1 being her boyfriend??).

If JW is guilty, he should be required to be locked away for whatever time he is supposed to be locked away for the crime.

However, if he's not guilty, the alleged victim should be punished in some substantial fashion for ruining JW's name.

I wasn't there, as were none of you, so we don't really know what occurred. But almost as horrible as someone raping someone else, is raping someone's reputation with a false accusation. Hopefully a fair trial will be had if legal evidence warrants it.

That's it for my comments on it.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
So basically, even though people are ready to call JW a scumbag and a rapist, all we really know is two people and two other witnesses claim that sex did occur.

3 of them (including JW) say it all was (or seemed) consensual to them, after a normal night out by college kids. We can assume that some alcohol or other mood altering substance may have been involved, but I'm not sure of that.

1 of them (the alleged victim) says it was not consensual. And that person also was allegedly shown to have the DNA from 2 men on her clothing (1 being her boyfriend??).

If JW is guilty, he should be required to be locked away for whatever time he is supposed to be locked away for the crime.

However, if he's not guilty, the alleged victim should be punished in some substantial fashion for ruining JW's name.

I wasn't there, as were none of you, so we don't really know what occurred. But almost as horrible as someone raping someone else, is raping someone's reputation with a false accusation. Hopefully a fair trial will be had if legal evidence warrants it.

That's it for my comments on it.
You said and I agree.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.