Nussmeier/Replacement at OC (keep OC discussion here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Nussmeier to Michigan

Nuss was QB coach, too. Kiffin was not a QB at USC; he was a WR coach.
I'm just saying, unless we have two coaching potions open, we can't hire both. I'm curious as to why we could even think of offering both - did someone else leave I'm unaware of?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm just saying, unless we have two coaching potions open, we can't hire both. I'm curious as to why we could even think of offering both - did someone else leave I'm unaware of?
I was just responding to Wylie's post about what Phil Savage tweeted. I would take Phil's tweet as a hint since he's very close to Saban.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

[a] Our current receivers coach - Napier - was OC at Clemson(?).

It would be tempting to make a run at Bloomgren- OC - or Sanford - QBs/receivers - from Stanford

[c] I'm glad we have who we have to be making these decisions.

[d] How 'bout Henson from Mizzou? A productive offense, knows the SEC, etc.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
While I am not a Kiffin fan, I do respect his past coaching success at UT and USC (as coordinator).

One thing we can't deny, Saban/Kiffin/Smart could possibly be the best recruiting trio ever.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This could be "the year of redemption/second chances" for tainted coaches.

First Bobby Petrino back to Louisville.

Now, Lane Kiffin back in the spotlight and of all places at Bama???

Incidently, for anyone saying LK might think a coordinators position is beneath him, it's agruable that the OC or DC at Bama is better than most HC positions in the country in terms of exposure and what it could do for your career later.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

When Nuss's offense clicked it really clicked, but when it didn't he had a hard time trying something else and making adjustments during a game. I am excited to see who the next one will be. Kiffen? I hope not.
I thought Nuss was the second best OC we've ever had, next to Homer Smith. If anything, I think Coach Saban may have held him in check a bit, which obviously now didn't sit too well with Nuss because he left for bigger bucks and what he obviously considers to be a better opportunity for himself.
Personally I don't think you'll ever see Lane Kiffin serving as a coordinator anywhere again. Too much ego, plus he's still getting paid big bucks from his previous contract with USC even though he was fired. Anything he made as an OC would count against what USC has to pay him.
I think he'll sit back, count his money, and wait for a HC position somewhere.
Our problems this year weren't caused by our offense. We scored plenty of points and plenty enough to win every game we played.
When you give up 42 to A&M, 34 to Auburn, and 45 to Oklahoma it's not the OC's fault, the blame rests on the shoulders of those who coached the defense. Now who would that be?
I wish coach Nuss the best. I thought he did a great job. The comeback drive against LSU in Baton Rouge was possibly the most timely play calling I've ever witnessed. Good luck Coach! sip
While I am indifferent to CDN leaving; I tend to agree with Sip that while the offense struggled at times our real problems were on the defensive side and the kicking game. The defense's inability to get off the field on 3rd down really hurt. Lack of DL penetration and pass rush exposed our oft injured and inexperienced secondary.

As for Kiffin, my vote would be NO, but that is Coach Saban's call.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I have an awfully hard time accepting Kiffin as an Alabama coach given his punk-like persona and reputation, no matter how good he may be. Then again, the Tennessee people really hate him so he can't be all bad, right?

tnbamaman

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2012

You know generally, I think there were times where we should have been running more, because we had the numbers in the box, especially at times to one side of the line, but I see the point here. I felt like Nuss tried to throw the haymaker too often and score fast and dramatically. Those plays look great, but don't control to the clock and put the defense back on the field pretty quickly and I think we need to play ball control against the HUNH teams. short passes like this help accomplish that almost as well as running, plus keeps the opposing D spread out, and using a guy like OJH much better also.
I totally agree with trying to control the clock against the hunh teams. That first drive against okie the most effective pass play was the screen to Cooper. This gets the ball out of the qb's hands quickly and allows the playmakers to make plays. Also short crossing routes are always effective in the college game and we have plenty of good receivers and TE's to run these plays effectively. This along with a solid run game will open up play action for that occasional long ball. This will be very important next year with a young QB.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Not from Kiffin's review. QB reads run a progression that is designed by the coaching staff. There were not enough plays run this year when OJH was option #1 or #2.
To follow up on Rich's comments:

@coachingsearch Lane Kiffin was 'more than just sitting in the room and listening' on his visit to Tuscaloosa weeks ago, per person close to situation.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Saban trusts Cecil. I believe Cecil knows who is getting this job...

@CecilHurt Very possible that Alabama names the replacement for Doug Nussmeier in the next 48 hours or so, for those asking about a timetable.

I believe that the first visit to T-Town was to see what Kiffin could say aboput the offense, and may have been a prep for things that were in discussion behind the scenes, such as Nuss moving on...An informal interview, so to speak

His coming back so quickly for an interview makes me think that he's got the inside track for the job.

Im okay with that...I think he is a very good offensive coordinator, and a great recruiter.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I totally agree with trying to control the clock against the hunh teams. That first drive against okie the most effective pass play was the screen to Cooper. This gets the ball out of the qb's hands quickly and allows the playmakers to make plays. Also short crossing routes are always effective in the college game and we have plenty of good receivers and TE's to run these plays effectively. This along with a solid run game will open up play action for that occasional long ball. This will be very important next year with a young QB.
I would like to see how many 5-7 minute drives we had this year, compared to '09, '11 and '12. It just seemed a lot of our drives, even when we scored, were quick.

Gotta think that correlates to our defensive struggles, especially against the HUNH. Our offense sustaining drives is good defense against the HUNH.

If somebody wants to dig up that information it would be interesting to see IMO.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

This could be "the year of redemption/second chances" for tainted coaches.

First Bobby Petrino back to Louisville.

Now, Lane Kiffin back in the spotlight and of all places at Bama???

Incidently, for anyone saying LK might think a coordinators position is beneath him, it's agruable that the OC or DC at Bama is better than most HC positions in the country in terms of exposure and what it could do for your career later.

After his last VERY unsuccessful stint as a head coach, I think Kiffin knows his route back into coaching is as an Offensive coordinator.

I don't think anyone is going to be lining up to offer him a head coaching job at an FBS school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.