Nussmeier/Replacement at OC (keep OC discussion here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Here's what I don't quite get: Nussmeier is being criticized for ineffectual and predictable playcalling, but weren't Trojan fans accusing Kiffin of the very same this season? Perhaps I'm misremembering.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: Nussmeier to Michigan

dre kirkpatrick 2010 vs dre kirkpatrick 2011

the same can be said about any number of our stud DBs during saban's tenure
There's no real argument that most of the returning corners on the roster will generally improve in time, but we don't have anyone near Kirkpatrick's level on the roster right now. We've got some kids who might eventually turn into solid, quality players, but for a Kirkpatrick-type natural talent, we are basically just sitting around waiting on Tony Brown (and hopefully Marlon Humphrey) to take the field.

Yah, I still laugh at folks saying we need to change schemes. If we had the 2011 or 2012 D we'd be 14-0 right now and celebrating 3 in a row, 4 of 5.
2011? Absolutely. But the 2012 defense? I'd lean towards no on that one, too. We took a pretty decent step back defensively last year, and although it was overall a better unit (largely because of the presence of Milliner) than what we put on the field this year, the 2012 defense suffered from a lot of the same shortcomings as the '13 unit.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

"Maybe Miss Terry is reading our suggestions. I think the Kiffen hire, if it happens would be great!"

Lordy lordy!!! I sure hope Miss Terry is reading and knows how much we appreciate her......

You think hiring Kiffin would be great??? I am sorry but, I adamantly disagree for a lot of reasons already citred. Arrogance, super ego working for another super ego does not mix, NCAA scrutiny where ever Kiffin goes and on and on.....

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Fans can't have it both ways. I see complaining about coaches and play calling, then I see this whole, no way Kiffin should be OC talk. Look, you can't have it both ways, you want change, you're getting it, but yes, there's no way to guarantee it's change for the better. That's how it works, it will always be a risk. Kiffin is far more accomplished as OC than any other name I've seen mentioned, and it's really funny that people would want to replace Nuss with less accomplished OCs, which just seems crazy. Kiffin is one of the few guys out there who has a resume that suggests he might actually be a better OC than Nuss.

I still think Nuss did a good job, but he's being replaced, like it or not, and everyone who was in the camp that said the coaches were the problem, well you should all be happy.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Here's what I don't quite get: Nussmeier is being criticized for ineffectual and predictable playcalling, but weren't Trojan fans accusing Kiffin of the very same this season? Perhaps I'm misremembering.
Not when he was the OC:
Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 passer rating, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards.

Kiffin helped guide USC to a 23–3 win-loss record during his tenure as offensive coordinator, an 88% win percentage
Those are some ridiculous numbers...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Those are some ridiculous numbers...
I think Kiffin's main specialty is recruiting, and Nick's approach of surrounding himself with elite recruiters makes a lot of sense. In Kiffin's three seasons as recruiting coordinator, he had a #1 recruiting class, and while I forget exactly what he did at Tennessee, I know as head coach at USC he was racking up top ranked kids. I think current relationships with recruits is a plus, and for instance he recruited Ricky Town, so I'd think Nick Saban likes the idea of someone that could step in and be an advantage in recruiting.

As far as offensive coordinator, that's not as clear cut as I thought from first glance. In 2005, USC had 49.1 PPG and 587.9 YPG, which was second and first in all of the FBS. But, in 2006, USC was 24th in yards, and 19th in scoring. Not bad, but not mind blowing. USC was 6th in scoring (prior to Kiffin taking over as OC) and 35th in scoring after he left, so it would seem he has a positive impact, but the change in year to year results should serve as a reminder that loss of talent accounts for a lot more than most people want to take into account.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005

He was so impressive at USC that he was hired by an NFL team...not a college team...after being only a coordinator...not a HC. People tend to forget that nugget.
And that he was fired from every job after that. It was so bad Al Davis dissed him... Al Davis. People tend to forget that. Heck, Kiffin made me go from loathing UT to only hating them not becuase I liked him, but because I felt sorry for them.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

And that he was fired from every job after that. It was so bad Al Davis dissed him... Al Davis. People tend to forget that. Heck, Kiffin made me go from hating loathing UT to only hating them not becuase I liked him, but because I felt sorry for them.
Which means he's not (currently) a good HC. No biggie. We're not (potentially) hiring him for that. We're (potentially) hiring him based on his impressive resume as an OC. He's not the first person to have excelled as a coordinator but failed when the added pressures of managing the entire team were added - that list is littered with good coaches' names.

I'm not apologizing for LK - I don't like him based on what I know about him. But to act as if he's a terrible OC despite his success at that position based on his failures at an entirely different position is strange to me.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

This.

I won't be shocked regardless as to who is hired. Both McElwain and Nussmeier made me kinda raise my eyebrows a bit...
Yep. I think Lane is a smokescreen myself. I think he's a big name and I think he can be decent if he's on a short leash, but I think we can find a good coach that doesn't have the same liability issues. Also, Kiffin is going to parlay it into a HC position eventually (2-3 years); I'd like a bit more continuity, which is why I wouldn't mind somebody like Burns get promoted; he's been with CNS a while and very well-liked coach (downside is playcalling ability is unknown and he's not a QB coach, which seems to be needed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.