Nussmeier/Replacement at OC (keep OC discussion here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: Nussmeier to Michigan

I thought Nuss was the second best OC we've ever had, next to Homer Smith. If anything, I think Coach Saban may have held him in check a bit, which obviously now didn't sit too well with Nuss because he left for bigger bucks and what he obviously considers to be a better opportunity for himself.
Personally I don't think you'll ever see Lane Kiffin serving as a coordinator anywhere again. Too much ego, plus he's still getting paid big bucks from his previous contract with USC even though he was fired. Anything he made as an OC would count against what USC has to pay him.
I think he'll sit back, count his money, and wait for a HC position somewhere.
Our problems this year weren't caused by our offense. We scored plenty of points and plenty enough to win every game we played.
When you give up 42 to A&M, 34 to Auburn, and 45 to Oklahoma it's not the OC's fault, the blame rests on the shoulders of those who coached the defense. Now who would that be?
I wish coach Nuss the best. I thought he did a great job. The comeback drive against LSU in Baton Rouge was possibly the most timely play calling I've ever witnessed. Good luck Coach! sip
I never liked him and believe he was "encouraged" to leave.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN

Frankly, I'm not hip on the idea of CLK. I realize he's good OC material, but he brings lots of baggage, lots of ego, and is a recruiting violations train wreck ready to happen. The idea makes me very nervous.

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN

I have family in Manhattan Beach. I do know that the Kiffin house was put up for sale last week. So endeth my insider information. Also for more inane and unrelated information, the Kiffins live next door to the Duck Dynasty producers.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I never liked him and believe he was "encouraged" to leave.
I guess we all have our opinions. I know Coach Saban hired him and said, "I want more explosive plays".
Coach Saban defines an "explosive" play as one that goes for over 20 yards.
We had about ten of those in the Sugar Bowl alone.
I don't think he was "encouraged" to go anywhere. I think he "wanted" to go elsewhere, where he could run the offense he really wants to run, which is wide open.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I have family in Manhattan Beach. I do know that the Kiffin house was put up for sale last week. So endeth my insider information. Also for more inane and unrelated information, the Kiffins live next door to the Duck Dynasty producers.
That settles it! Kiffin is leaving for Oregon to be the OC of the "Quack Attack" :)

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Frankly, I'm not hip on the idea of CLK. I realize he's good OC material, but he brings lots of baggage, lots of ego, and is a recruiting violations train wreck ready to happen. The idea makes me very nervous.
I have total confidence that CNS will keep any recruiting violations in check. Not to worry.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
They were quoting some stats on JOX this morning comparing all the defenses from 09-13. It was obvious the 10 adn 13 defenses were less productive than the others but they were still a top 10 average defense. There has been lots of commentary that our defense was below par as the reason we didnt finish the deal this year. I disagree. Personally, I think you ought to be able to win a NC with a top 10 defense. Auburn didnt need one in 10 and almost got another this year without one.

Our inconsistency on offense was ultimately what got us in both 10 and 13 imo. We simply did not get the critical third down conversions this year nor could we rely on our run game. CNS knows that you simply cant stifle every offense you play today with all the different dynamic offenses out there and you cant make yourself a good match defensively for every offense you face. What is our record when we fail to rush for 140+ yards? What is our record when we fail to score more than 30 ppg? While it might not be bad its certainly not as good as the opposite.

As far as I am concerned, we have been pretty predictable in all CNS years. Our teams have been coached to be more fundamental in execution which thereby allows you to be more predictable. Translation arrogance in playcalling. I say that because I think we can all agree we know what we are going to see in any given situation offensively. The biggest wrinkle we have had in the last 7 years is when we installed the Pistol formation as a significant part of our offense.

I remember when Nuss was hired, CNS stated publicly that he wanted to stretch the field vertically in the passing game. I think we accomplished that as we have seen more long throws in the last 2 years than I can remember in a long while. So I cant have any beef with what Nuss has done. I wish him well.

I think we really ought to be voicing our frustration out on Coach Cris if we are going to critique coaches. Quite simply our OL has underperformed and committed uncharacteristic procedure and holding penalties that killed drives. Nor could we rely on them to generate a push consistently in the run game. Even as the season went on our OL seemed to regress imo certainly after the LSU game. All of this gridlock in OL operation has a significant impact on playcalling in game. OL play simply has to improve next year our it wont who the OC is.

Had we better execution on offense this year I dont think we would be seeing near the haranguing over our defense and its performance.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I guess we all have our opinions. I know Coach Saban hired him and said, "I want more explosive plays".
Coach Saban defines an "explosive" play as one that goes for over 20 yards.
We had about ten of those in the Sugar Bowl alone.
I don't think he was "encouraged" to go anywhere. I think he "wanted" to go elsewhere, where he could run the offense he really wants to run, which is wide open.
As others have mentioned on the board and social media, the immediate interview with Kiffin and list of possible replacements by media folks indicates this was in the works for a few weeks now.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

I'm just having a hard time seeing CLK in a Bama shirt and hat....:eek:

I prefer him not coming. There are other options available without the added risk of his personality/attitude being part of the hire.

With that said, I don't think CNS would invite anything into our camp with a high potential for toxicity. Could be CNS knows something the rest of us don't. I would hope so anyway.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: TROUBLE follows Lane Kiffin

I think Saban made Nussmeier want to leave if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.