Nussmeier/Replacement at OC (keep OC discussion here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Nussmeier to Michigan

After his last VERY unsuccessful stint as a head coach, I think Kiffin knows his route back into coaching is as an Offensive coordinator.

I don't think anyone is going to be lining up to offer him a head coaching job at an FBS school.
Not for at least two years. If Bobby Petrino can get back to Louisville then Kiffin has a shot at getting another pretty decent coaching gig. You can say what you want about Kiffin, and trust me, we'd all agree. But Petrino cheated on his wife with an employee of the school, which by the way was old enough to be his daughter.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Not for at least two years. If Bobby Petrino can get back to Louisville then Kiffin has a shot at getting another pretty decent coaching gig. You can say what you want about Kiffin, and trust me, we'd all agree. But Petrino cheated on his wife with an employee of the school, which by the way was old enough to be his daughter.
Buzz, as I recall, there were similar whispers/slanders about Kiffin at UT.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD

Petrino having an affair was a personal matter, but hiring his mistress was a lapse of professional judgement that should have kept him from being hired by anyone. Anyone stupid enough to put their school on the hook for that level of sexual harassment lawsuit just doesn't have the common sense to be let off the leash.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Petrino having an affair was a personal matter, but hiring his mistress was a lapse of professional judgement that should have kept him from being hired by anyone. Anyone stupid enough to put their school on the hook for that level of sexual harassment lawsuit just doesn't have the common sense to be let off the leash.
As I recall he also lied to his boss about the situation after the motorcycle wreck.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

If it's Kiffin, I don't have any real problem with the hire. He fits well philosophically with what Saban wants to do anyway, he's a great recruiter, and his playcalling was fine while at USC (incidentally, that was likely Nussmeier's biggest weakness, so it's potentially an improvement in that respect). I don't think we'd re-invent the wheel with him, but I don't think it would lead to any problems, either. He's a pretty big name, even if for the wrong reasons, but I think with him at the helm it would essentially be a pretty status quo hire, even with the media attention it would gather.

Outside of Kiffin, I really don't know about some of the other candidates being mentioned. I like Napier as a recruiter and a WR coach, but I'm skeptical of both converting him to the QB given our current uncertainty at the position, and to a lesser extent I'm always skeptical of internal promotions. I certainly don't see us spending big money and totally revamping the offense, like would be the case with a guy like Chad Morris. I would probably be okay if we picked up Freddie Kitchens from a schematic perspective, but that's really a shot in the dark as to recruiting prowess and playcalling ability.

Either way, I think the circumstances make it pretty clear that Nussmeier's departure was pretty well expected, and perhaps even mutually decided. Given that Cecil has openly mentioned a hire being in place in the next 48 hours, I imagine that Saban and company have all but made a decision at this point. Basically a done deal, we just have to find out who it is.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

I thought this was a cruel joke when I heard it on the radio. Came here to check it out and it evidently has legs. Crap.

Few individuals out there in college football of lower character than Lane Kiffin, just don’t see him fitting in very well to how Saban runs his program. I really hope this does not happen, but it’s not looking good.

If Kiffin comes, get ready for the high pressure recruiting style imilasr to what auburn has used the past 5-6 years. That is Kiffin’s specialty.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

According to AL.com, Freddie Kitchens is in the mix. Hasn't he been working with QB's in the NFL for some time?
Not really. Kitchens was/is the QB coach for Bruce Arians in Arizona, but all of his coaching experience prior to this past season was as an RB or TE coach. He's never been an OC and has never called plays.

Like I said, I think he'd be a fine hire from a schematic perspective, but it's really just rolling the dice on what he could do as a recruiter, and the next play he calls will be the first since he checked into audibles while at 'Bama in 1997. His lack of history as a QB coach concerns me a bit, though somewhat less so given that he played the position in college.

I wouldn't throw fits over the hire, mind you, but frankly I think we could probably do a good bit better.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I thought this was a cruel joke when I heard it on the radio. Came here to check it out and it evidently has legs. Crap.

Few individuals out there in college football of lower character than Lane Kiffin, just don’t see him fitting in very well to how Saban runs his program. I really hope this does not happen, but it’s not looking good.

If Kiffin comes, get ready for the high pressure recruiting style imilasr to what auburn has used the past 5-6 years. That is Kiffin’s specialty.
He's not being looked at for the HC job. CNS is still in charge.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I thought Nuss was the second best OC we've ever had, next to Homer Smith. If anything, I think Coach Saban may have held him in check a bit, which obviously now didn't sit too well with Nuss because he left for bigger bucks and what he obviously considers to be a better opportunity for himself.
Personally I don't think you'll ever see Lane Kiffin serving as a coordinator anywhere again. Too much ego, plus he's still getting paid big bucks from his previous contract with USC even though he was fired. Anything he made as an OC would count against what USC has to pay him.
I think he'll sit back, count his money, and wait for a HC position somewhere.
Our problems this year weren't caused by our offense. We scored plenty of points and plenty enough to win every game we played.
When you give up 42 to A&M, 34 to Auburn, and 45 to Oklahoma it's not the OC's fault, the blame rests on the shoulders of those who coached the defense. Now who would that be?
I wish coach Nuss the best. I thought he did a great job. The comeback drive against LSU in Baton Rouge was possibly the most timely play calling I've ever witnessed. Good luck Coach! sip
Even though I was not a huge fan of the play-calling on O of late, I have to agree with this. Our problem in big games this year was mainly on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Heard CNS wanted LK in '07, so we are fooling ourselves if we think LK is not a possibility.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Heard CNS wanted LK in '07, so we are fooling ourselves if we think LK is not a possibility.
Saban expressed interest in him at the time, but it never went anywhere because Kiffin was on the cusp of getting a head coaching job. The Raiders hired him a week or two later, IIRC.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Even though I was not a huge fan of the play-calling on O of late, I have to agree with this. Our problem in big games this year was mainly on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball.
Bold, underlined, and italicized.

OC hire will get a lot of attention, of course, but in all honesty we'll likely be fine on that front regardless of who we hire. Perhaps some bumps in 2014 due to QB play (which goes back to recruiting misses at the position between 2010 and 2012), but on the whole we'll be fine.

Defensively, though, who knows? What I do know is this: As pass-happy as big-time CFB has become, we aren't getting that crystal ball back until we either find a way to better rush the passer and/or address our problems at cornerback. OC hire will sap up the attention, but we should all be putting focus on what we do defensively.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Saban expressed interest in him at the time, but it never went anywhere because Kiffin was on the cusp of getting a head coaching job. The Raiders hired him a week or two later, IIRC.
Yes, he was hired by the Raiders in late Jan. 2007 so it must have been just a passing thought, but apparently, it was a thought.

Unfortunaltely for LK, or you might now say fortunatley, he doesn't have HC suitors lined up for him so the OC at Bama is certainly a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.