Nussmeier/Replacement at OC (keep OC discussion here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Re: Nussmeier to Michigan

A lot of people don't remember what he did while offensive coordinator at USC (and, he seemed to not run his mouth as much).

He averaged 49 points one year as offensive coordinator, and his three years as recruiting coordinator, USC has #1 classes. There's a reason he was hired straight out of that position into the position of NFL head coach, the problem was his maturity and leadership clearly was lacking.

But, strictly in terms of being an offensive coordinator and recruiting? I doubt Alabama could do better.
I tend to agree with this. He also managed two
NFL backs in Bush and White. I think he could do a good job. If CNS is sold on him so am I. I agree too that play calling made me scream at times this year. Nuss would run over and over when it wasn't working and keep passing when clearly he needed to pound the ball. Watching the offense in the sugar was like watching a middle schooler play madden. I couldn't figure out why things were being done. Why wasn't CK given some help from a back or TE. Why go away from the run when Henry is trucking a small defense. It made no sense. CNS has a plan. It will never be said but Nuss had to be told to go or he saw the writing on the wall.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Hmmm...............interesting................

If CLK can keep his mouth shut, and his nose clean, it would be a great gig to rehab his image. And set him up for something better, at the end of the year.

Something like..................oh, I dunno........................HC at UF? That would really strip ol' Junior's and LuLu's gears.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Yes... got to think it's the most logical choice. CNS has been interested in him in the past... and it would seem to make sense from all sides.
He's never coached QB's.... Seeing the need to develop one yesterday, do you see LK as OC/QB's or, OC/WR and we bring in a QB coach? If that's the case Napier is gone which May not be a bad thing...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

My major concern with LK coming to bama would that he would be a one and done type, or at least he would be looking for another HC job almost immediately. Nothing wrong with that, but I kinda prefer the more under the radar hires like Coach Mac was, because they tend to stay longer and we don't have to keep changing our entire offense each year.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL

I honestly can't imagine Kiffin being an assistant. However, the thought of Layla wearing a crimson sun dress is quite interesting. The only true positive I can see is the absolute dumpster fire that would happen in Knoxville. I was quite frustrated with Nuss myself against A&M last year when he would not run the ball late. Same thing happened against Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. Failure on 4th and 1 to put away the barn also stung pretty bad.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Phil Savage tweeted to keep an eye on 2 names, Billy Napier & Rick Neuheisel. We may not have the budget and Neuheisel may not want to just be QB coach but, LK as OC and RN as QB coach could be incredible....

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

I told my son a few days ago that I thought Nuss would be finding a new job. I think CNS handled it in a good way too.

I don't "like" LK but I think it would be a great hire. CNS's no media policy and only having offensive responsibilities would help him a lot.
With the talent we have on campus, he would do very good I think.
He's also a very good recruiter.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Assistants don't have to like each other...
...and I don't like either one , but CNS sure seems to knows how to make this new world of college football work. What do you think Earle? Would this speculated hire be a plus?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I'm not stoked for Lane but I'm willing to see what happens with him. He was over promoted a bit but he can recruit at a higher level than any previous OC and he seems to know how to call a game with talent around the field from his coordinator stint. What he did at USC was bad though.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

...and I don't like either one , but CNS sure seems to knows how to make this new world of college football work. What do you think Earle? Would this speculated hire be a plus?
Could be. Time would tell. The "stepping stone" aspect worries me...

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.

I told my son a few days ago that I thought Nuss would be finding a new job. I think CNS handled it in a good way too.

I don't "like" LK but I think it would be a great hire. CNS's no media policy and only having offensive responsibilities would help him a lot.
With the talent we have on campus, he would do very good I think.
He's also a very good recruiter.
Seems to me, his recruiting is usually followed by violations.
Just a Sample

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Not surprising. Our play-calling had become bland and unimaginative. That being said, I'm glad this went down like it did. I truly wish Coach Nuss and his family the best of success.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Saban has handled moving on from guys he's lost faith in a very professional manner. Nuss would have gotten that money here if we wanted him. We allow him to leave with the Saban Seal of Approval instead of kicking him to the curb and everybody questioning him. I don't think Saban thought he fit but there was no use hurting his desirability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.