Nussmeier/Replacement at OC (keep OC discussion here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Both and the cute names need to stop. This isn't Tigerfans or Tigerdroppings. Our defensive scheme needs to be tweaked and we need a different type athlete on the DL. That is a Coach Saban problem and I think he's in the process of fixing it. We're focusing on the offense problem because of the hiring of Kiffin. But if you want to see people up in arms about the defense there are plenty of threads after the sugar bowl to meet your needs. Both the defense and offense have been criticized harshly on here.

Which prompted my comment to begin with. When Bama fans see the same measuring stick for both sides of the line of scrimmage that will look a lot more like the solution. HUNH ate our collective lunch for us this year. And you can call me TUSK, or not. No matter where I'm posting.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The defensive scheme is already being tweaked...we're getting more athletic on the front and at linebacker over the next few years.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Which prompted my comment to begin with. When Bama fans see the same measuring stick for both sides of the line of scrimmage that will look a lot more like the solution. HUNH ate our collective lunch for us this year. And you can call me TUSK, or not. No matter where I'm posting.
The majority on this board have realized something needs to change with the defense. It's been discussed dang near everyday since the Sugar Bowl.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
We just ain't in a philosophical/schematic climate to skull drag our way to a title like those 09 and 11 titles anymore. We kinda had to outscore our best opponents in 2012 to get it done. Nuss failed in one of those affairs and the UGA win was not thanks to him (Saban basically decreed the run focus).

The SEC is quickly heading towards being a conference where holding the better teams to around 20 is a great day at the office and under 30 means the defense didn't completely lose it for you. We aren't going to be winning as many 24-15, 32-13, and 21-0 games against the best teams anymore. I'm not saying we need to be a 49ppg team but the aim should be towards being able to out-offense the best teams if the defense isn't having their best day. We should have been able to do it in all three losses under Nussmeier.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Before the tying TD, that defense still had the barn on the ropes in the second half. Get one additional score and we are in the SECCG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Before the tying TD, that defense still had the barn on the ropes in the second half. Get one additional score and we are in the SECCG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

This...

I went back and looked at drive charts for the Auburn and Oklahoma games. the second half (in both games) our defense (aside from a drive or two) was being dominant. You know when that STOPPED happening? When our offense only was giving them 1:35 seconds ont he sidelines going three and out... I know people want to say "well this was our best scoring offense ever!", but how many points were left on the field because of poor play calling in the red zone (watch the Auburn game), missed field goals (some you have to eat, but others we should have never HAD to take), and turnovers (which is more so on players then coaches, but still). We can't make the guys have better ball security...but we can sit them down. We can't make our kickers hit field goals, but we can put them in better positions. We can, however, have better less predictable play calling... That's what this is about. There is no being stagnant in football anymore, you must seek to get better every year...obviously 2013 was not good enough, so the changes are being made to get better.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
This...

I went back and looked at drive charts for the Auburn and Oklahoma games. the second half (in both games) our defense (aside from a drive or two) was being dominant. You know when that STOPPED happening? When our offense only was giving them 1:35 seconds ont he sidelines going three and out... I know people want to say "well this was our best scoring offense ever!", but how many points were left on the field because of poor play calling in the red zone (watch the Auburn game), missed field goals (some you have to eat, but others we should have never HAD to take), and turnovers (which is more so on players then coaches, but still). We can't make the guys have better ball security...but we can sit them down. We can't make our kickers hit field goals, but we can put them in better positions. We can, however, have better less predictable play calling... That's what this is about. There is no being stagnant in football anymore, you must seek to get better every year...obviously 2013 was not good enough, so the changes are being made to get better.
When given time, our defense made adjustments many times but the offense (not always but many times) would go three and out or turn it over making the defense trudge back out there.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
What are you implying needs to be done on defense. CNS fire himself? Fire Kirby Smart?

No, I'm not asking for anyone's head, that is my point, again. Both coordinators were struggling with scheme and position changes all season. Perhaps what the team was struggling with most was simply trying to keep a championship edge for three years in a row. We got a pretty good look at why it hasn't been accomplished in the modern era.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
No, I'm not asking for anyone's head, that is my point, again. Both coordinators were struggling with scheme and position changes all season. Perhaps what the team was struggling with most was simply trying to keep a championship edge for three years in a row. We got a pretty good look at why it hasn't been accomplished in the modern era.
I believe a lot played into what we saw go wrong this season. Even though we still went 11-2. But I don't think it was ONE thing but rather a lot of things we could point to. Attitudes of players, offensive stagnation and our defense simply not correctly adjusting to the HUNH in the offseason. We also can't forget that we had some injuries that you have to consider as well. So there was a lot at play that could be pointed at and deemed a "problem".

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The defensive scheme is already being tweaked...we're getting more athletic on the front and at linebacker over the next few years.
That's not an instant fix. Next year, we will have the most question marks on defense since Saban's first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.