JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Replacement for Nussmeier could be Saban’s biggest hire ever
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
January 9th, 2014 04:15 AM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Jan. 9, 2014   Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier left Tuscaloosa for Ann Arbor, Mich., on Wednesday, leaving the Crimson Tide to take the reins of the Wolverines.   In doing so, the path of Alabama football under Nick Saban might also be making a drastic change.   Many […]

Read More Here

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
That's a very comprehensive list in a very short time, Jess, and I feel a lot smarter having read it. Bobo, Kirby and Fisher are big buds. What a shot across the bow of Georgia if we hired Bobo, whom I believe is very underrated.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Given that arguably the most innovative offense in the country right now, that of Oklahoma State, has turned production at the H-back position into a signature, the fact Alabama essentially fielded two dead positions smacked of either a lack of imagination or an abundance of arrogance on someone’s part – and not necessarily Nussmeier’s.
A choice between a lack of imagination or arrogance...which trait is most disturbing for whoever Jess is describing?

What's that saying about 'the bloom is off the rose..."

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks for the list, Jess.
Is there any chance Calvin Magee might be considered? It is hard to argue with what Ka'Deem Carey has done the past two seasons running the ball and Magee is also a New Orleans native.

It's a shame Ralph Friedgen would be considered too old at this point. No one could call a game like he could.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
After reading this, I'm not so sure any of these guys are the answer. I know Coach Saban will pick the right guy, but I cant wait to see who he picks. RTR!

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Just for grins, I'll throw a name out there - Tommy Bowden. He coached at Bama in the late 80's. He was OC at AU in the early 90's. As HC at Tulane he worked with Rich Rodriguez to develop the spread offense and produced the best team Tulane has ever fielded. From there he went to Clemson as HC where his offense continued to gain popularity (and where Rodriguez made a name for himself). He's not currently coaching but has a world of knowledge in many different systems, has SEC experience, and would be a strong recruiter. If he's looking to get back into coaching, this would be an opportunity he might very well jump at.

How's that for a wildcard pick? :tongue:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Just for grins, I'll throw a name out there - Tommy Bowden. He coached at Bama in the late 80's. He was OC at AU in the early 90's. As HC at Tulane he worked with Rich Rodriguez to develop the spread offense and produced the best team Tulane has ever fielded. From there he went to Clemson as HC where his offense continued to gain popularity (and where Rodriguez made a name for himself). He's not currently coaching but has a world of knowledge in many different systems, has SEC experience, and would be a strong recruiter. If he's looking to get back into coaching, this would be an opportunity he might very well jump at.

How's that for a wildcard pick? :tongue:
That's just crazy talk! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've got to ask this question Jess. If Bama goes for a big offensive scheme change like some of the names you suggested, how does this affect our current personal on offense; especially oline and running backs???

It would seem to me that we might be a little too bulky in those areas and it causes me to wonder if it might take a couple years to get the right personal in to run a true spread/hurry up type system like that.

On the other hand, someone like LK or Bobo would seem to make for a seemless transition.

I'm truly concerned about wholesale changes because I'm not in the camp that thinks our system is broken. It just needs a few adjustments.

Now, I imagine I could get on board with a totatally new offensive scheme and the excitment it would bring. No doubt our recruiting would soar to new levels with the amount of speedy athletes and dual threat qbs who would love to run that system in T-town.

This leaves me truly concerned and equally interested!!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
With the talent we have it's not going to take wholesale changes to make big differences and I think Saban knows this. It makes no sense to bring in an OC with a philosophy that your current type players do not fit and have to sit and wait for two years worth of recruiting and development to get players who do. I doubt this happens. Which is why Chad Morris and the Baylor OC is out of the question. The Oklahoma St OC makes the most sense if Saban wants to "change" but not have to worry about personnel conflicts.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I'd love to see the Okie State OC end up here. Just imagine the fear of an Alabama team that's constantly top 5 in defense coupled with a top 5 offense?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
At Alabama, the offense and defense are linked -- we play conservatively, try not to make mistakes. We either score of leave our defense with the best field position possible. Not sure it's desirable, or even possible, to radically change our offense without changing the philosophy of our defense. See our own experiences in the late 1960s with Bryant and the late '80s with Homer Smith and Curry.

Thoughts?

BDDBAMA

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 22, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I think if—and it's a big if—CNS opts for some form of a primary up-tempo offense, I believe he would also be committing to a defense built to stop the same. In other words, if he thinks the tempo offense will be effective for the foreseeable future and gives us the best chance to win, he would also have to believe that other teams would come to the same conclusion (which is obviously the current trend), making it necessary to adapt a defensive scheme/personnel designed to counter it. An added benefit would be having our D going against this kind of offense every day in practice, which will sharpen both sides of the ball.

That said, I'm guessing any change in philosophy would slant more towards what the Patriots do rather than an Oregon or Auburn type of system.

Wolfman

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 4, 2013
ESPN is saying Lane Kiffin is the favorite. I really do not want this guy involved in our program. I personally think he is a scum bag and brings way too much baggage with him.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I agree. I still am surprised at all the talk about how RADICAL changes are needed. Really? Were we getting blown out this year? Was the offense horrible? We weren't very far off from going undefeated and into the SECCG. I do not see a wholesale offensive philosophy shift coming from CNS. I just don't. I do believe Jess nailed the stubbornness part and hope he lets the new OC try more, ESPECIALLY with the H-Back and TE. We'll see but don't the coaches usually end up being someone completely off the radar?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
We could switch to more of a read-option offense like we run with Sims at QB and it doesn't have to be HUNH and we could run it with our current personnel. We could still keep balance between pass and run, which CNS likes, using the run to set up the pass. This would make the most of our current talent at RB and WR. The only big change would be recruiting dual threat QBs rather than pro-style. Other than Sims, I don't know if we have any QBs that would be considered dual threat. Of course, we would need an OC who can coach the QBs in that scheme and that may be the reason for the change to the coaching staff.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Our offense needs an improved line and a quarterback/coordinator/philosophy that utilizes all the talent at their disposal. Changing the entire approach may mean changing the personnel and could take years to put in place.

Let's analyze what we're doing, but let's be who we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.