Franklin leaves Vandy for Penn State

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
While I am no fan of Franklin; this is a complete waste of time and only serves to open old wounds. IMO this was solid hire by PSU and I hope they will in time get used to his arrogance.
Lol... Wow you really don't like him do you. I dunno I guess he has come off brash at times but I always looked at it like he was trying to give Vandy some swagger which they've never had. He seems like a decent guy though and is a GREAT hire for PSU. He will have them playing in BigTenCG's before long I believe.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Lol... Wow you really don't like him do you. I dunno I guess he has come off brash at times but I always looked at it like he was trying to give Vandy some swagger which they've never had. He seems like a decent guy though and is a GREAT hire for PSU. He will have them playing in BigTenCG's before long I believe.
I agree with GrayTide. IMO, he's a smartass, who likes to throw around crap and then claim he was just kidding.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You are correct, I really do not like Franklin. I will not deny he did a good job at Vanderbilt, but at a cost, that cost being he changed the football culture by the type athlete he recruited. In order to get the "swagger back" he recruited quite a few less than desirable athletes, the kind that a lot of schools would have passed on. I am not passing judgment on whether he had any involvement in his players rape of the student, but IMO he was willing to recruit to that level and unfortunately for all concerned this happened.

Penn State needs to be prepared for a heavy dose of these type athletes being on campus because IMO Franklin will have to go that route to make PSU relevant again in the B1G, much like Meyer has done at tOSU.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Penn State needs to be prepared for a heavy dose of these type athletes being on campus because IMO Franklin will have to go that route to make PSU relevant again in the B1G, much like Meyer has done at tOSU.
Perhaps so, but Penn State doesn't exactly have a gleaming off-field record as it is. Paterno had a lot of legal matters pop up on his team in the final decade, even though he was still revered at the time.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
You are correct, I really do not like Franklin. I will not deny he did a good job at Vanderbilt, but at a cost, that cost being he changed the football culture by the type athlete he recruited. In order to get the "swagger back" he recruited quite a few less than desirable athletes, the kind that a lot of schools would have passed on. I am not passing judgment on whether he had any involvement in his players rape of the student, but IMO he was willing to recruit to that level and unfortunately for all concerned this happened.

Vandy is talking a coach that might be a perfect match to change the culture back.

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/422773457638547457

Joe Schad said:
Stanford DC Derek Mason interviews with Vanderbilt middle of this week

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
You can't be serious...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Anybody else read an article from some "off the record" interview O'Brien gave in December? I can't give a link due to some of the language he used (it was asterisked out in the article, but I'm not taking any chances), but he had some not so nice things to say about the old guard at Penn State.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
PM the link please.
Anybody else read an article from some "off the record" interview O'Brien gave in December? I can't give a link due to some of the language he used (it was asterisked out in the article, but I'm not taking any chances), but he had some not so nice things to say about the old guard at Penn State.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I sent a link to the article to both who requested it. If anyone else is interested, google "Bill OBrien Paterno people". The article was in a blog of some kind devoted to Penn State and written by a man named David Jones.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.