Franklin leaves Vandy for Penn State

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I really hope CJF stays at Vandy. Back in the day, 79-84, I made a lot of trips down West End Ave. to watch the Commodores play at Dudley Field and lose most of the time. One thing Vandy has to do regardless of who the coach is is to increase its seating capacity.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Okay! Now, let's see who the powers that be at Vandy hires as their new coach?!?!
I hope he stays at Vandy just to keep them ahead of the Viles when it comes to football & right now his football program at Vandy is in better shape than the Viles & I find that fact hilarious..

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I hope he stays at Vandy just to them ahead of the Viles when it comes to football & right now his football program at Vandy is in better shape than the Viles & I find that fact hilarious..
I love CJF and what he has done at Vandy has been great. However, do you risk hanging around and go 4-8, 3-9, 4-8 in the next 3 yrs which is possilble and really understandable. Your value decreases considerably if this possible scenario presents itself.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with ya, he should take the job at Penn St, it's to good of a job to pass on..There's a few select schools you don't turn down if offered the job, and Penn St is one of those schools..I want him to stay at Vandy for pure selfish reasons & that's to keep Vandy ahead of the Viles..LOL

I love CJF and what he has done at Vandy has been great. However, do you risk hanging around and go 4-8, 3-9, 4-8 in the next 3 yrs which is possilble and really understandable. Your value decreases considerably if this possible scenario presents itself.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Not taking this job is the same mistake Mullen made. Others will come open but will u still b a hot name. I get that sanctions make it a tough call but there's no real decision here.

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
I'd like to see him stay. Him at Vandy makes life tougher for the Viles which is always a plus. A good Vandy is good for overall perception of strength of the SEC also. Penn St. clearly a better job, though with the realignment of the Big 10 divisions PSU is now in the same division as Ohio St., Mich. St and Mich. While that's no different than Vandy having to play S. Car., Ga. etc. it's no picnic especially with the sanctions.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
That's true but with the sanctions he will probably make more money and be given a pass for at least 4-5 years. And even with the sanctions he will probably get more talent or at least equal talent at PSU. I think anyone that doesn't jump on that job is crazy.
I'd like to see him stay. Him at Vandy makes life tougher for the Viles which is always a plus. A good Vandy is good for overall perception of strength of the SEC also. Penn St. clearly a better job, though with the realignment of the Big 10 divisions PSU is now in the same division as Ohio St., Mich. St and Mich. While that's no different than Vandy having to play S. Car., Ga. etc. it's no picnic especially with the sanctions.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Stayed in Starkville too long.
Actually, his mistake was taking the MS job in the first place. It will always be in the shadows of Tide, some of that because they are what, only 60 or so miles from Tuscaloosa. Sure, they may threaten to win the West every 15 year or so, but that is about it.

Back on subject. If Franklin has a decent financial offer from PS, he better jump on it. He is a hot ticket now and there is a slim chance he looks that sterling in two or three years if he stays at Vandy. I admire what he has accomplished, but there is no better time to grab the golden ring.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Actually, his mistake was taking the MS job in the first place. It will always be in the shadows of Tide, some of that because they are what, only 60 or so miles from Tuscaloosa. Sure, they may threaten to win the West every 15 year or so, but that is about it.

Back on subject. If Franklin has a decent financial offer from PS, he better jump on it. He is a hot ticket now and there is a slim chance he looks that sterling in two or three years if he stays at Vandy. I admire what he has accomplished, but there is no better time to grab the golden ring.
Ehh, it is all a matter of perspectives and personal preferences as well. Dan Mullen is an MSU alum; He works in the top conference and in a region ripe with talent. He has taken Mississippi State to 4 straight bowl games. He could quite easily go down as MSU's best coach ever if he keeps that up; might get the stadium named after him.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Ehh, it is all a matter of perspectives and personal preferences as well. Dan Mullen is an MSU alum; He works in the top conference and in a region ripe with talent. He has taken Mississippi State to 4 straight bowl games. He could quite easily go down as MSU's best coach ever if he keeps that up; might get the stadium named after him.
Mullen went to Ursinus College in Pennsylvania and later Wagner College in Staten Island. He was a northeast lifer prior to latching onto Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, and aside from a game in Oxford against Ole Miss while he was at Florida, I'm not sure he ever set foot in the state of Mississippi prior to taking the MSU job.

And name on the stadium? Come on now...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Mullen went to Ursinus College in Pennsylvania and later Wagner College in Staten Island. He was a northeast lifer prior to latching onto Urban Meyer at Bowling Green...
Up here on the Eastern Seaboard, a number of my PSU chums seemed to think Mullen might at least catch sniff of an offer from the Nittany Valley as a suitably solid "lower-profile" candidate. Guessing Urby Boy may have vetoed it.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Mullen went to Ursinus College in Pennsylvania and later Wagner College in Staten Island. He was a northeast lifer prior to latching onto Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, and aside from a game in Oxford against Ole Miss while he was at Florida, I'm not sure he ever set foot in the state of Mississippi prior to taking the MSU job.

And name on the stadium? Come on now...
Dang, I whiffed on that one, completely thought he was an alum... ALthough I will still say, that below are all of MSU's bowl games in their history, so he doesn't have to build much to get up there :). 18 bowls in over 100 years of football and he has 4 in a row :).

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I thought after he blew out Michigan in the bowl after his second season, he was thought a pretty hot up and coming coach and had some opportunities. Was that just media speculation and he didn't get any "real" offers?
Former. Mullen had his name placed out there for a few jobs, but he never generated any real interest. People who do the hiring and firing at better programs were smart enough to figure out that a single 9-4 season, with a blowout win over a bad Michigan team (whose own coach was about to be fired) in a meaningless bowl doesn't account for anything of note, despite what some of the MSU homers wanted to believe. Had a "real" offer ever came along, Starkvegas would be long in his rearview mirror by now...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.