"60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January 12

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Re: "60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January

Selma, thanks for letting us know about the show. It was interesting, and intriguing, to say the least.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
Re: "60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January

Very interesting show tonight. Like Jessica -- I'm doing good to remember what happened a few days ago! :)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Did anyone notice they got the names in the photos wrong?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Pretty good! I'll refrain from comments for those who haven't watched it yet.

That said - don't some savants also have the ability to recount what days of the week match up with the day of the month, etc.?
Yes, that's actually easier than you might think. Joey DeGrandis explained it to us. He can tell you what day July 16, 1554 fell on without blinking. The calendar matches every 28 years (1985 is the same sequence as 2013). It's the same math used to calculate the date only it's by 28 rather than 7 (but remember, that's a derivative of 7).

I can't tell you any of that. He may have overlapping conditions, but he certainly is HSAM.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Selma, are you left handed?
No, I am right-handed.

The other interesting tidbit (thank God they edited it) was that of the 55 of us, only two of us have had a single, sustained marriage (and btw - BOTH of us are currently separated from spouses of over 20 years at present).

In other words, everyone who has this condition has either never been married (most of them), been married multiple times (Marilu Henner is on her third husband), or is presently separated. What the significance of that is - well, who knows?

In the first segment, Henner noted she could never lose an argument. She also noted that that might be why she is on her third husband as well.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Pretty interesting. It would have been nice to see them spend a little time with each guest, but it was informative and a little heartbreaking at times to hear how this impacted the young boy.
That's what they did last time. They called Tracy Fersan and had her read her name and credentials over the phone. This makes me suspect they had a longer story but shortened it as the A-Rod thing developed yesterday. It was also a little disconcerting to start as the lead story and get bumped. And finally, I completely understand that Marilu Henner is the "face" of the condition as she is the most famous person with it. But why bring back the other two people (Louise Owen and Bob Petrella) when you're flying the four of us out there? I'm sure these questions have answers, but I just don't know them. And of course it's nothing against those folks.

The Overtime segment that airs about grudges is a little misleading because I did make the point that just because I have not forgotten something does not mean I have not forgiven you for wronging me.

There was one part that wounded me deeply on the show: when the ten-year boy talks about how "a year ago" his Dad had really gotten onto him about something and it bothered him. The father has no idea about any of that. I've experienced that firsthand in more personally painful ways than just that. For example, on December 16, 1979, we cut and hauled wood to the new house we were about to move into. My father wore steel-toed boots for working. I forget the specifics but he told me to do something and I said, "Yes sir" (which is how we did it back then). My mouth (apparently) involuntarily made a sort of smirk/grimace. His eyes lit up and the man hit me open handed so hard on the left side of my face that my right jaw was what hit the ground first. He stood up over me kicking my floppy legs a bit and positioning his boots and told me he'd better never again see me smirk at him when I'd said something.

I still can feel that happening right now, it was cold and overcast around 5 pm (sun going down quickly). He has no recollection of that or multiple dozens of other humiliating escapades he put me through. And I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because everybody had "issues" and things growing up. But somehow you can forget at least some or most of them.

One that bruised me for years was an honest reaction I had to a Christmas gift opening on December 22, 1981, in Missouri. My grandmother was fond of buying me these puzzles to put together. I hate puzzles. I never said anything, though, because the family was of modest means and I did appreciate the thought. No, I never put one together. Well that particular Christmas season, I had already been given a puzzle by a jr high classmate (It was of candy bars). I kinda rolled my eyes but oh well. However - this particular year, my mother had been explicitly told that I was NOT getting a puzzle and she told me that. So imagine the shock and awe when I open the gift and there's........the Holy Grail!!! No, of course it was a puzzle. I probably would have been ok except I'd been told I wasn't getting one. So I burst into tears, which embarrassed me and ran out of the room. My father stormed into the bedroom where I was hiding and grabbed me by one ear and dragged me back into the room and forced me to apologize.

I finally brought this up to my aunt (Dad's sister) on January 15, 2001 - nearly twenty years later and after my grandmother had died. My aunt had only the vaguest recollection of it - but it still tortured me all those years later.

I honestly never knew folks could forget stuff. But if you ask me if I want to trade......I honestly don't know at times.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

No, I am right-handed.

The other interesting tidbit (thank God they edited it) was that of the 55 of us, only two of us have had a single, sustained marriage (and btw - BOTH of us are currently separated from spouses of over 20 years at present).

In other words, everyone who has this condition has either never been married (most of them), been married multiple times (Marilu Henner is on her third husband), or is presently separated. What the significance of that is - well, who knows?

In the first segment, Henner noted she could never lose an argument. She also noted that that might be why she is on her third husband as well.
I mentioned the segment (having not seen it yet) to Mrs. Cuda. I said, from what I have gleaned from some of your previous posts, that it is a blessing and a curse. And relationships are probably the biggest casualty.

I know a few gals you never want to meet. Their memory (and their reasoning abilities) leave a lot to be desired. You never would have lasted as long as I did! (It was good practice, though.)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Congrats, Selma. Had an ex gf who thought she had the same ability...turns out it was somewhat selective. :biggrin2:
I can only imagine having such recall. Congrats again.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I've fallen out of the habit of checking up on the non-sports board. I had no clue Selma was going to be on, but I was channel flipping and the segment caught my attention. This morning I read that Selma was one of the people featured.

Selma, thanks for your personal insight into this amazing ability.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I wonder who is the oldest person with this and does the ability to remember fade with them like it does with others?

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002

Selma do the times of exhilaration and happiness resonate as strongly as the bad memories? I would hope so, seems like it would be a wonderful gift to have when things aren't going well.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

That's what they did last time. They called Tracy Fersan and had her read her name and credentials over the phone. This makes me suspect they had a longer story but shortened it as the A-Rod thing developed yesterday. It was also a little disconcerting to start as the lead story and get bumped. And finally, I completely understand that Marilu Henner is the "face" of the condition as she is the most famous person with it. But why bring back the other two people (Louise Owen and Bob Petrella) when you're flying the four of us out there? I'm sure these questions have answers, but I just don't know them. And of course it's nothing against those folks.

The Overtime segment that airs about grudges is a little misleading because I did make the point that just because I have not forgotten something does not mean I have not forgiven you for wronging me.

There was one part that wounded me deeply on the show: when the ten-year boy talks about how "a year ago" his Dad had really gotten onto him about something and it bothered him. The father has no idea about any of that. I've experienced that firsthand in more personally painful ways than just that. For example, on December 16, 1979, we cut and hauled wood to the new house we were about to move into. My father wore steel-toed boots for working. I forget the specifics but he told me to do something and I said, "Yes sir" (which is how we did it back then). My mouth (apparently) involuntarily made a sort of smirk/grimace. His eyes lit up and the man hit me open handed so hard on the left side of my face that my right jaw was what hit the ground first. He stood up over me kicking my floppy legs a bit and positioning his boots and told me he'd better never again see me smirk at him when I'd said something.

I still can feel that happening right now, it was cold and overcast around 5 pm (sun going down quickly). He has no recollection of that or multiple dozens of other humiliating escapades he put me through. And I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because everybody had "issues" and things growing up. But somehow you can forget at least some or most of them.

One that bruised me for years was an honest reaction I had to a Christmas gift opening on December 22, 1981, in Missouri. My grandmother was fond of buying me these puzzles to put together. I hate puzzles. I never said anything, though, because the family was of modest means and I did appreciate the thought. No, I never put one together. Well that particular Christmas season, I had already been given a puzzle by a jr high classmate (It was of candy bars). I kinda rolled my eyes but oh well. However - this particular year, my mother had been explicitly told that I was NOT getting a puzzle and she told me that. So imagine the shock and awe when I open the gift and there's........the Holy Grail!!! No, of course it was a puzzle. I probably would have been ok except I'd been told I wasn't getting one. So I burst into tears, which embarrassed me and ran out of the room. My father stormed into the bedroom where I was hiding and grabbed me by one ear and dragged me back into the room and forced me to apologize.

I finally brought this up to my aunt (Dad's sister) on January 15, 2001 - nearly twenty years later and after my grandmother had died. My aunt had only the vaguest recollection of it - but it still tortured me all those years later.

I honestly never knew folks could forget stuff. But if you ask me if I want to trade......I honestly don't know at times.
Dang man. This is certainly hard for me to wrap my brain around, since I am able to forget things.

It always seems that when you post about "This day in Alabama history" that your "condition" is a gift, because you can recall perfectly the nuances that make certain memories great. But the above certainly makes it seem like a curse at times. I guess the key is to dwell more on the good than the bad.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I, for one, have found it quite interesting.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

No, I am right-handed.

And I always thought Marilu Henner was hot....now she's available. Oh boy! LOL!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I'm going to be honest and admit that I had no idea you had this "gift", I just assumed you Googled everything like the rest of us. Can we use you instead of Google now? We need an "Ask Selma" section added to the forums asap.

Joking aside, what you posted about remembering bad things sounds horrible. I honestly would not want that burden and I'd hate for my children to be able to remember every instance when I got mad at them for the rest of there life. Talk about a curse and a gift all in one, I can't imagine dealing with that. I'm also glad my wife can't remember everything I've ever done, although see tries to claim she can.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Bill, another question - how far back does your memory go, to what age. The reason I'm curious is that, although I just have a better-than-average memory, I have verified memories all the way back to 18 months, although they are not each and every day the way yours are...

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

Bill, congrats to you for being on 60 minutes. Mrs. Bama and I made it home from church last night and watched the entire segment. Great job!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.