"60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January 12

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: "60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January

I wonder who is the oldest person with this and does the ability to remember fade with them like it does with others?
That sort of came up. Of course, I don't know who some of the anonymous folks are, but here are the ones I DO know:

Jill Price, 48
Rick Barron, deceased (cancer, 53)
Brad Williams, 57
Bob Petrella, 62
Marilu Henner, 61
Louise Owen, 40
Tracy Fersan, 49
Bill Brown, 44
Jerrard Heard, 44
Joey DeGrandis, 29
Alexandra Wolff, 22
Jake Hausler, 10

Petrella was on there last night and said his memory was still sharp as did Henner. Obviously, I don't know what the other forty-five or so folks ages are.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: "60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January

Bill, another question - how far back does your memory go, to what age. The reason I'm curious is that, although I just have a better-than-average memory, I have verified memories all the way back to 18 months, although they are not each and every day the way yours are...
I can recall pretty much every day (granted some are beyond mundane) since November 30, 1977, when I was eight. I recall sporadic days before then, particularly holidays, although I might not necessarily know the day of the week without looking (example: I know that December 25, 1974, I got a battery operated toy clock that was designed to tell kids how to tell time. I have no idea what day of the week that was back then; however, knowing the 28-year repetition, I know that the same calendar was used in 2002 and thus the 25th was on Wednesday (as it also was in 1985, 1991, and 2013).

I know that on Saturday, May 29, 1976 (which I do recall specifically being on a Saturday) we went to stock car races in the UK. There was both a day and a night session, and my folks paid for both. I still remember my Dad screaming at me because we had to go back to the house and pick up my ticket (I had left it in the bathroom).

I have other days that I recall quite vividly, including July 23, 1974 (I was four), when we got up early and ate breakfast (don't remember specifics, probably eggs and sausage with OJ knowing Mom), had choccolate cake, then drove from Columbus, MS to Lanett, AL to see her folks. I even recall us stopping at Hardee's in Valley, AL to relieve ourselves.

The earliest date of which I can recall is July 23, 1972, the day my brother was born. I was 33 months old. I only recall the snippet of my Dad picking me up at my neighbor's and saying I had a brother (e.g. Mom had a boy).

I also vividly recall September 15-16, 1975, although I'd have to think for a moment about the day of the week (Monday/Tuesday IIRC). We were traveling from Atlanta to the UK. When we approached the escalator, it looked like a huge monster with teeth. I started screaming hysterical. My grandfather who was tall (not really, but when you're five, getting put on someone's shoulders feels like you need ATC clearance), put me on his shoulders. To this day, my heart skips a beat when I get on an escalator. If you're with me, you'll notice I sort of "jog" to get on it. Anyway, I also had a little orange Tonka truck, an ambulance. I remember putting it into the basket for the metal detector. I even had a fit when the attendant said I would not be allowed to take it on the plane. She got corrected quickly by my mother and others. Flew Eastern Airlines to Philly, caught a blue bus to McGuire AFB, NJ (overcast/rainy that afternoon) and then hopped on a C-141 type plane to RAF Mildenhall, where my Dad met us. We rode a bus to RAF Bentwaters, dropped by the commissary for food, then drove to our bungalow in Ipswich. I slept under US Army blankets that were scratchy.

I also know that a few weeks before then - no exact dates known - we drove from Lanett to Roanoke Rapids, NC. When we were in the car getting ready to go, I was eating Apple Jacks and stung on the left mandible (skin obviously) by a bee. It hurt the entire trip. My guess - and I'll admit this is a guess - is that it was Saturday, September 5, because I explicitly remember going to church the next day.

So Earle, I would in no way discount an 18 month old memory. I believe Henner says that's her first. But mine doesn't go back that early. Also, my Mom has been flabbergasted. I will point out things to her - and her memory is very good about details but not necessarily what happened what day. So she has been shocked when I've told her things like the trip to the UK (and verified every single detail).

Let's just say it's interesting to say the least.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Do you have trouble sleeping at night with all those memories in your head? (My wife was wondering this).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Do you have trouble sleeping at night with all those memories in your head? (My wife was wondering this).
No. Funny thing is that when we were in California visiting, Joey DeGrandis told us that instead of "counting sheep" to go to sleep, he counts dates.

I noted that wouldn't help me because of that OCD tendency to figure out the missing day.

But no, it does not affect my sleep.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The 18 month old memory was shocking - literally. It was the only time my parents ever left me with a sitter. (Big gaps of age in my family - my brother was graduating from HS, May 28, 1941.) My crib was in the bedroom off the kitchen and the kitchen light was on and the door open a crack. At the head of my crib was a clip-on light fixture, except the light had been removed, having burned out, but the fixture was still plugged in. Being inquisitive by nature, I naturally stuck my finger in it - and then screamed. The sitter came running (believe it or not, her name was Beulah) to comfort me. I didn't complain about it until I was nine. Then, one evening, when the family was assembled around the dining table, I delivered my opinion as to how dumb it was to leave a little kid in a crib with a plugged in light socket and no bulb. There were incredulous looks around the table and questions as to who told me about it. Of course, there was no one there but Beulah and I and she had told them, so they had to accept what I said. I got a look from around the table which I'm sure you're familiar with, Bill, "What else does he remember?" I have a lot of detailed memories before age six. It was WWII and I had two brothers serving at danger, one flying out of England, so I've always attributed the vivid memories to that trauma...

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA

I would NOT like to be the parent of a child with this ability. (My children (2 boys) already remember most of my parental mistakes.)

Also, are there any historical figures they think may have had this (unrecognized-at the time)?

Alakablamo

1st Team
Nov 24, 2001
Upstate, SC

Wife and I watched the special when it originally aired, but I just saw this topic (from the Football board). Small world.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC

No, I am right-handed.

The other interesting tidbit (thank God they edited it) was that of the 55 of us, only two of us have had a single, sustained marriage (and btw - BOTH of us are currently separated from spouses of over 20 years at present).

I can certainly understand this. I was actually thinking about your situation this morning and thought to myself how glad i am that i don't remember fights i had with my husband early on in our marriage. Thankfully i was able to forget a lot of it and move on. Can't imagine where we'd be today if i couldn't have done that. Wow...that has to be one of the most difficult things you have to deal with.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

So there I am minding my own bidness today and a guy who saw the show (he brings us our supplies) suddenly blurts out in the hallway:

"January 6, 1985!!"

(My boss is walking in front of me and chuckles).

"It was a Sunday, my father had a stomach virus and was home from church, we all skipped it that morning. Sunny morning, Bill H came over to visit. The Dolphins beat the Steelers, 45-28, and the 49ers beat the Bears, 23-0, to advance to Super Bowl XIX. It was my last day of Christmas Vacation from school my sophomore year.

Now go look it up."

(He said, "Oh, I believe you").

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

That is truly amazing. A blessing and a curse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

That's pretty cool Bill.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The interview is slightly deceptive on a couple of fronts (for example, they cut out the fact that on Sept 24, 1994, I had lunch at Ryan's, that MSU beat Tennessee - the early game - and I had Subway for dinner, steak and cheese with sour cream Lays and a coke).

And the reference to October 11, 1992 had to do with the day I realized I had this "gift." I also mentioned there was a Presidential debate that evening (I think it was the first of that campaign).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I got an email from the producers of "60 Minutes" today informing me our show will be aired again this Sunday evening. I do not know if any changes were made (there were changes made from the first to second airing of the original story) or if it is exactly the same.

So you might see me on CBS commercials this weekend.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

I got an email from the producers of "60 Minutes" today informing me our show will be aired again this Sunday evening. I do not know if any changes were made (there were changes made from the first to second airing of the original story) or if it is exactly the same.

So you might see me on CBS commercials this weekend.
Enjoyed that, very interesting. Missed it in January. Thanks for the heads up!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.