"60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January 12

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: "60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January

I didn't want to start a new thread but I got an email from Shari Finklestein, the producer of "60 Minutes." They're doing a feature tomorrow night on sports fan Bob Petrella. Bob is a Steelers fan who has the same mental illness I do (HSAM). He was featured on the 12/19/10 original airing of HSAM.

This has something to do with a fantasy basketball team. I have no idea about it otherwise. We were told that while previous clips from the show will be airing, none of us from the 2014 follow-up is in it. Don't know if anyone cares but anyway.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Re: "60 Minutes" Interview On Superior Autobiographical Memory To Air Sunday, January

I didn't want to start a new thread but I got an email from Shari Finklestein, the producer of "60 Minutes." They're doing a feature tomorrow night on sports fan Bob Petrella. Bob is a Steelers fan who has the same mental illness I do (HSAM). He was featured on the 12/19/10 original airing of HSAM.

This has something to do with a fantasy basketball team. I have no idea about it otherwise. We were told that while previous clips from the show will be airing, none of us from the 2014 follow-up is in it. Don't know if anyone cares but anyway.
I'm sure I don't understand as much about HSAM as I could, or as much as do others. I'm just trying to wrap my head around your statement of it being a ''mental illness''.
To be more specific, it seems to me that a person with such an ability of memory has a potentially huge advantage over the rest of us. Hence my puzzlement as to how it can be labeled an illness.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

FYI - I have an interview with The History Channel this afternoon (via Skype). They're thinking of doing a nostalgia show featuring us "memory wizards" and what we recall and our different perspectives on things in the past (like say I was 11 when Reagan was shot - what I recall and how I viewed it compared to say a 30-year old).

I'll keep you posted.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

I'm going to ask a question here.. Is this HSAM restricted to just what has happened or what you have seen in days gone by?
It seems to me that such an ability could be used in other ways. I'm thinking that if I had that type ability, I'd be turning it in a multitude of different directions. Certainly, one or more of the ways I'd be using it would be to make me a very rich man.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

Dang it, it wouldn't play for me

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I'm sure I don't understand as much about HSAM as I could, or as much as do others. I'm just trying to wrap my head around your statement of it being a ''mental illness''.
To be more specific, it seems to me that a person with such an ability of memory has a potentially huge advantage over the rest of us. Hence my puzzlement as to how it can be labeled an illness.
Imagine being able to remember, in great deal, every moment in your life. For some things, that would be wonderful. But for others, not so much. Every bad moment, embarrassing, sad, you name it. It's right there for you to relive at any given time.

There are some moments that I cannot forget despite a very strong desire to. But I can't imagine remembering every shameful or embarrassing moment of my life.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I got a phone call today from the producer of the new program on "The History Channel" setting up a Skype interview next week. We're still in the dark about this, but it appears to be one of those shows where, for example, they do a retrospective on the Reagan assassination.

And at some point I come on and say:

"It was Monday, March 30, 1981. It was an overcast day. I was in my seventh period class, which was our P.E. We were throwing a football out on the playground when the classroom monitor came screaming that we all had to come back to the classroom. When we got there, we sat down and they had CBS on. Rather had just replaced Cronkite a few weeks earlier (shows clip of Cronkite's final words). We sat in stunned silence. Now you have to remember - when Reagan was elected in 1980, every President since 1840 that had been elected in a year ending in "0" had died in office, so we were well aware of this. I got home and my parents were watching it and the part I'll never forget is they reported that Press Secretary James Brady had died (show clip of announcement) and then came back later and retracted it (shows clip). Later that night, Indiana beat North Carolina, 63-50, to win the NCAA basketball title (shows final score) and Isaiah Thomas was the star player (shows his stats). But they really hid from us the imminent danger Reagan was actually in, and we never knew it at the time (shows clip of Mike Deaver saying years later how they had misled the press)."

I haven't done any of that - it's just that what it appears to be.

Funny story: I set the "60 Minutes" producers laughing when I talked to them on the phone in October 2013. They asked me to share a story about Lesley Stahl. I told them on October 21, 1989, I was watching the Alabama-Tennessee game and a shootout was unfolding (we won, 47-30). All of a sudden, Stahl interrupts my football game!!!!! She comes on and says that they've found a survivor named Buck Helm in the rubble of the Loma Prieta earthquake. I tell her I'm cussing Stahl on the TV screen and they're in stitches on the phone laughing.

They did not, however, let me tell that one to Stahl when we were interviewed.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.