2014 OL Projections/Outlook

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
Won't be what anyone wants to hear, but 2014 could (and some would say probably will) be a step back on the offensive line. We lose what were undoubtedly our two best players from the 2013 line -- Cyrus and Steen -- as well as the sixth man (Kellen Williams). By contrast, the three returning starters were generally solid and played well enough, but none of them were standouts by any stretch and all had issues in their own right.

In general, I think it's safe to say there is a legitimate battle for just about every starting position across the board on the OL as we head towards spring camp. Nothing is really settled up front at this point
Coach Cristobal's got his work cut out for him...

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I believe it was Cyrus with the false starts not Arie.
It's really a moot point, but both basically had the same amount with Arie having one more.

IMO, we had way too many false start flags for an OL that has the expectations our team carries. If it continues into this next season, you have to look beyond the players.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i may be off base, but, i think cyrus was spending a lot of time looking out for his brother arie. also, once we left cyrus without tight end support he just was not quick enough for speed rushers. the okla game was a disaster with the smaller striker rotating from end to end to rush aj. when vogler was injured, it seemed we did not trust anyone else to block. not even a back. aj was clobbered that last quarter. howev er, we may have the best class ever assembled for the off line. i really believe two of them may start. robinson, and the young man from iowa, cant remember the spelling of his name. guard or center.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I wouldn't be surprised if we put a TE (like M. Williams) by the LT. Left CYKo by himself and despite being a first rd. NFL score he could NOT handle a speed rush. The new LT is going to have to earn a lot of trust otherwise we are going to have a mobile pocket for sure.

If we could find a left handed pocket passer that should solve that.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
I think Arie played well for a first year starter...he played hard and through the entire play. I recall seeing him blocking hard down field on many occasions. Cyrus is responsible for his own film just like everyone else on the field.

Just don't like the way people point out certain players for whatever reason.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
If we could find a left handed pocket passer that should solve that.
My take: I dont think a true Frosh no matter who it is will be ready, but hope so!
And this is contingent with Jackson making it into school.

The names will be in the battle: Some players will battle for several positions to get the best 5. Highlighted guys are the same just in different positions.

LT Jackson 6-7 315 Jr/Brown 6-6 320 Sr/Robinson 6-7 330 Fr
LG Arie K 6-5 335 Sr/Taylor 6-5 330 Soph/Bozeman 6-5 315 Rfr
C Kelly 6-5 290 Jr /Lindsay 6-2 315 Sr/Hassenauer 6-3 300 Fr
RG G.Hill 6-6 315 Soph/Brown 6-6 320 Sr/Luatua 6-2 315 Jr/Lindsay 6-2 315 Sr
RT Shep 6-5 325 Sr/G.Hill 6-6 315 Soph /Brown 6-6 320 Sr/B. Hill 6-6 365 Rfr

Redshirts:
Casher 6-1 290 Fr/Ross P. 6-5 285 Fr/McBride 6-4 330 Fr

Brandon Greene 6-5 290 Soph, I think will stay at TE, hence not signing a TE in this class but I guess could be considered in a pinch.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't know that I'm being optimistic. I'm pointing out that the talent level of our incoming OL recruits and the ones already here are rated higher than OL we've had in the past. Every OL recruit this year is a high 4 star with Robinson a 5 star and #1 in the country at his position.

It's up to our coaches to coach them up, which they certainly did with the 2012 group you mention. Warmack, Steen and Jones weren't recruited very heavily by anyone.

In fact, this year's overall recruiting class is unreal. If we end up with Marlon Humphrey, that would give us 5 of the top 20 recruits in the country. The only other team with more than 1 top 20 recruit is for some reason, Virginia.
We've had top OL talent coming in for several years. Talent isn't a problem...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.