Auburn stealing plays

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
No such thing as stealing plays outside of wiretapping the other team's headsets. Whether they're signaled in via hand signals or a big picture board, or simply shouted in ala "Run the inside trap!" it's still language. If the opposing team hears (or sees) and understands that language, they're going to use it, as they should. Should have used a bigger towel.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Several years ago, there was a movie called "The Emperors Club" that dealt with the issue of ethics. Seemingly inconsequential things that are never addressed, and how they impact the future. Starred Kevin Kline and quite an excellent cast. I found it thought-provoking, and strongly recommended it to family and close friends. Good life lessons for all ~12 and older.
I recommend it to y'all for entertainment during the "down days" between recruiting and A Day. Acceptable viewing for the family, and a good discussion starter for families who like to do that sort of thing. Didn't get a lot of public "buzz" because no sex/violence and subject matter that most are not interested in (as evidenced by our current state of affairs in government/public affairs)
Not passing judgement on the Auburn game, just recommending a good film.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Its part of the game IMO. If you know there is a coach on the other team that knows your play calls and signals then change them. If you don't change your signals in that situation IMO its your own fault.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
I'd be quite surprised if there aren't coaches who've approached some mathematics/statistics/cpu programmers and asked them to enter in all the various cards, signs, plays, etc opposition teams now hold up looking to crack the play calling. I certainly would do it.

Additionally I worked with a former minor league baseball player who coached his sons teams for years who talked of how he had someone doing signals all the time and they were all false. His pitching signals were determined by weather he was leaning against something, standing up straight, or had his arms folded. Said opposition were all the time writing down all those signs and never knew anyone to catch-on.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How is it 'stealing plays' if they're openly calling them, KNOWING a former coach in on the other sideline?

This doesn't speak poorly of the cows, imo, but rather how little foresight Jimbo has / had leading into this season / game.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
If we are finisbed with the ethics discussion...

Does this mean without signal stealing FSU could've beaten Auburn by, say, 21-35 points?

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
If you don't change the locks on your new house, and the previous owner comes back and steals all your stuff, I don't know if you're getting what you deserve in that case, but the former owner is most certainly committing a crime.
Your argument is idiotic. Signals are broadcast for all willing to receive them, nothing is stolen by listening or watching in. It's the responsibility of the signal broadcaster to obfuscate anything that he doesn't want prying eyes to see or hear.

Have you ever logged onto an unlocked wifi connection? How about a password protected wifi signal named LINKSYS or NETGEAR?

Last edited:

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
We're also acting like AU didn't have an entire season's worth of film to break down prior to the BCSCG. Sooooo much time is spent in the film room breaking down every play and formation in order to prepare offenses and defenses.

Another thing...Craig was never coach at FSU when Winston was QB...so I am struggling to see how he would have had any inside knowledge of their 2013 offense beyond what he'd know from breaking down film. The only thing Craig would know is the language used at the LOS...which he could have used to prepare the checks made by the defense before the snap. That is up to FSU to change. FSU used the same signals the entire 2013 season. Any coach or fan would have been able to scout them and diagram their signals vs plays by January.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Is this not basically what New England lost draft picks for?? I understand that is the NFL, but I would think that the ethics would be one in the same?? NCAA might not have the level of ethics as the NFL??

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is this not basically what New England lost draft picks for?? I understand that is the NFL, but I would think that the ethics would be one in the same?? NCAA might not have the level of ethics as the NFL??
No. The Patriots got in trouble for videotaping opponents' walk-through practice.

Pluck and Grit

All-SEC
Jul 12, 2001
Delray Beach, FL
This explains the otherwise unexplainable, how the barn's below average defense was able to contain FSU for half of the game.

And that shouldn't happen to a coach who is getting paid what Jimbo Fisher is getting paid.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
This explains the otherwise unexplainable, how the barn's below average defense was able to contain FSU for half of the game.
I doubt that quite a bit. Auburn didn't contain FSU for "half of the game," they practically contained them all night. Their collective backs were broken on by their own failures, namely busted coverage on the kickoff return and two whiffed tackles on a simple 3-yard hook route on the final drive. Going into that final drive, through 58 minutes (which included 10 drives), FSU had only 20 points, just 298 yards of total offense on 58 snaps, lost a fumble, and gave up 4 sacks. That's containment and a lot more to boot.

I think the better explanation is just that FSU and Winston had no real answer for the Auburn defensive front seven, and in particular the pass rush from the DL. Those guys kept FSU spinning in their tracks all night long, and they just hadn't seen anything like it.

Pluck and Grit

All-SEC
Jul 12, 2001
Delray Beach, FL
I doubt that quite a bit. Auburn didn't contain FSU for "half of the game," they practically contained them all night. Their collective backs were broken on by their own failures, namely busted coverage on the kickoff return and two whiffed tackles on a simple 3-yard hook route on the final drive. Going into that final drive, through 58 minutes (which included 10 drives), FSU had only 20 points, just 298 yards of total offense on 58 snaps, lost a fumble, and gave up 4 sacks. That's containment and a lot more to boot.

I think the better explanation is just that FSU and Winston had no real answer for the Auburn defensive front seven, and in particular the pass rush from the DL. Those guys kept FSU spinning in their tracks all night long, and they just hadn't seen anything like it.
I happen to agree with all that too, while still agreeing with my own point. Watching the game, I thought there was no way FSU would have made it undefeated through the SEC or PAC 12, and likewise, there was no doubt in my mind we'd have been undefeated and in the BCSCG had we played FSU's schedule. One of the SEC's below average defenses made them look very mortal. I have virtually no respect for ACC football these days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.