Auburn stealing plays

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not the fambly and the innocent Coach Craig!

And they had the gall to say Siskey was stealing Ole Siss' signals when all he was doing was looking through binoculars.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
My take: if you are signaling in plays where everyone can see, everyone is free to recieve them. I mean do we get upset if the defense catches on to the snap count? Its part of the game. And frankly much more honest than snaping the ball before a defense can turn back towards the line of scrimmage so they cant defend your play.

But because its Auburn...CHEATERS!!! ;)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
My take: if you are signaling in plays where everyone can see, everyone is free to recieve them. I mean do we get upset if the defense catches on to the snap count? Its part of the game. And frankly much more honest than snaping the ball before a defense can turn back towards the line of scrimmage so they cant defend your play.

Weren't we accused of basically the same thing earlier this year?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
On one level, Fisher's response is the correct one. In public at least.

On another level, what happened may not have been illegal, but I'd argue it was unethical. About 10 years ago, when I was in a mid-level leadership spot at a Fortune 500 company, I was sent, anonymously, a copy of a significant competitor's business plan. I was equal parts excited and scared. I didn't know what to do, so I called our CEO. He told me to come see him immediately. When I got to his office, he took the package, called his counterpart at the other company, and told him "Someone in your organization is trying to slip us a copy of your business plan. I'm shredding it right now;" and that's exactly what he did.

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

I could not agree more.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

On another level, what happened may not have been illegal, but I'd argue it was unethical. About 10 years ago, when I was in a mid-level leadership spot at a Fortune 500 company, I was sent, anonymously, a copy of a significant competitor's business plan. I was equal parts excited and scared, I didn't know what to do, so I called our CEO. He told me to come see him immediately. When I got to his office, he took the package, called his counterpart at the other company, and told him "Someone in your organization is trying to slip us a copy of your business plan. I'm shredding it right now;" and that's exactly what he did.

Wow that CEO has way more class than me, but you already knew that. :)

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Might not be cheating, I don't know the rules but, a championship calibre team imo shouldn't have to resort to such slimey tactics. Tarnishes everything associated with the team. 30 yrs from now when the lil kiddies say "Grandpa, did you really cheat in order to have an advantage over FSU"? What are you gonna say? It wasn't really cheating son, if the teacher lays her test for tomorrow out so you accidentally see it, take a quick pic of it and share it with your friends, thats the way to get ahead in life. Cheat, winning is winning and that's all that counts.

tmv85

All-SEC
Might not be cheating, I don't know the rules but, a championship calibre team imo shouldn't have to resort to such slimey tactics. Tarnishes everything associated with the team. 30 yrs from now when the lil kiddies say "Grandpa, did you really cheat in order to have an advantage over FSU"? What are you gonna say? It wasn't really cheating son, if the teacher lays her test for tomorrow out so you accidentally see it, take a quick pic of it and share it with your friends, thats the way to get ahead in life. Cheat, winning is winning and that's all that counts.
You might be surprised at the number of students think that. Many of their parents do as well.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If Fisher wasn't smart enough to change his signals, he got what he deserved.
^This.

Why wouldn't he change the signals each year to prevent something like this? At the very least, Fisher had a full month in which he knew Craig would be on the opposing sideline to do something.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't mind Auburn figuring out their signals, it's part of the game.

Of course, their ITAT posters who think we are bulletproof, framed both Manziel and Winston, and stole Ole Miss signals would find no problem with them doing it but think it was a crime punishable by death if we did it.

But as one baseball player said once - "even if I steal the signal, what in the world am I supposed to do with it now? What if he is putting that out there thinking I know what it is?"

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006

On another level, what happened may not have been illegal, but I'd argue it was unethical. About 10 years ago, when I was in a mid-level leadership spot at a Fortune 500 company, I was sent, anonymously, a copy of a significant competitor's business plan. I was equal parts excited and scared. I didn't know what to do, so I called our CEO. He told me to come see him immediately. When I got to his office, he took the package, called his counterpart at the other company, and told him "Someone in your organization is trying to slip us a copy of your business plan. I'm shredding it right now;" and that's exactly what he did.

Some Coke employees tried to sell company to secrets to Pepsi a few years ago. Pepsi called the FBI
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/05/23/coca.cola.sentencing/index.html?iref=newssearch

Bama_J

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2012
Yea, it's part of the game. I just remember how everybody came down on us for "appearing" to do this and the media has a field day. And they are in the same situation and it's like "these things happen." 😒

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I consider it a part of the game.

if a team is going to publicly display signals, then it is their responsibility to ensure the security of them.

Coach Craig did not STEAL the signals. He was taught the signals by FSU during his employment there, so they were GIVEN to him. His contract at FSU likely stipulated that he was not to provide intellectual property of FSU to any other entity and I would consider signals to be intellectual property, so he is probably guilty of breaking the terms of that contract. However, if I work for team A and have no contractual obligation to team B, then attempting to decipher their signals and provide intelligence to team A is just a part of game strategy in my opinion. If team B wishes to protect their play calls, then they either improve their signals or don't publish them to the world.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I consider it a part of the game.

if a team is going to publicly display signals, then it is their responsibility to ensure the security of them.

Coach Craig did not STEAL the signals. He was taught the signals by FSU during his employment there, so they were GIVEN to him. His contract at FSU likely stipulated that he was not to provide intellectual property of FSU to any other entity and I would consider signals to be intellectual property, so he is probably guilty of breaking the terms of that contract. However, if I work for team A and have no contractual obligation to team B, then attempting to decipher their signals and provide intelligence to team A is just a part of game strategy in my opinion. If team B wishes to protect their play calls, then they either improve their signals or don't publish them to the world.
yeah, if you have an employee leave, its always a good idea to change the locks and passwords :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.