Why do we hate Lane Kiffin again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
A bit of levity...I asked my daughter (who's 30 and follows football only loosely) if she remembered Kiffin and how he did UT. Her response: "I really don't follow Tennessee...the only thing I remember about them is they're the ones that put the "ho" in hostess...." :biggrin:

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
He's an asst coach. Will be relegated to the press box with no contact with the media. He'll be a ghost. I wouldnt have been able to identify Nussmeir had he he bumped into me in the produce aisle at Kroger. CNS says he's good, then Im good.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I have no respect for him whatsoever. I'm really disgusted with this hire. My alma mater can and should do better. This is just my opinion, of course, but I've been very clear in my opinion of him, and I hold him in very low esteem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I do not hate Kiffin but I would be less than honest if I said I was happy with the hire. He left the Viles in shambles and they still have not recovered. IMO, he is an OC and not a head coach. Now if we were talking about notre dame....

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I have no respect for him whatsoever. I'm really disgusted with this hire. My alma mater can and should do better. This is just my opinion, of course, but I've been very clear in my opinion of him, and I hold him in very low esteem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said, and this fellow alum agrees. I expect more from my university even if he turns out to be the greatest OC in the history of the world. I'm disappointed in Coach Saban with this hire. If you ask why, I would say the quote from Coach Bryant that states that he can't define class but can tell when someone has it from a mile away would suffice.

Last edited:

BamafanNPC

3rd Team
Jan 3, 2007
Pell City, AL
I think his arrogance rubs people the wrong way. I know it did me. I couldn't stand his smarty pants comments.
But, in 09 he almost beat us and could have beaten UF, if Crompton doesn't throw those two picks.
The only thing that worries me is recruiting violations. For some reason I remember hearing him say something like, they are only minor recruiting violations, so it isn't a big deal. Or something like that. And didn't he have a meeting with Slive about his comments about it? Having a gag on him will make me happy. Having a great offense will make me happy. Winning and keeping us off probation will make me even happier.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I Couldn't resist we all cried when we lost our last two games we need to do something different,we need change well we got change coming,either mean what you say quit bashing or except!:biga2:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Kiffin has always seemed like the typical "born on first base and thinks he hit a home run" spoiled brat. He has exuded arrogance, pettiness, and a disdain for authority. His actions reeked of extreme immaturity which seemed to indicate a lack of effective guidance during his formative years.

Maybe his abandonment on the tarmac and his realization that he isn't going to stumble haphazardly into a promotion after all his past fiascos will make him grow up. This is exactly what he needs: an opportunity to work with an extremely self-disciplined mentor who will protect Kiffin from his worst enemy: his own mouth.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Kiffin has always seemed like the typical "born on first base and thinks he hit a home run" spoiled brat. He has exuded arrogance, pettiness, and a disdain for authority. His actions reeked of extreme immaturity which seemed to indicate a lack of effective guidance during his formative years.Maybe his abandonment on the tarmac and his realization that he isn't going to stumble haphazardly into a promotion after all his past fiascos will make him grow up.
One of those things that struck me as really odd and a sign of immaturity was when the USC football team was an hour late for the Sun Bowl dinner. Both teams were supposed to break bread together. It was a big event for the Sun Bowl, and Kiffin's Trojans were almost no-shows. Not cool.
This is exactly what he needs: an opportunity to work with an extremely self-disciplined mentor who will protect Kiffin from his worst enemy: his own mouth.
My optimistic side says this is Kiffin's final chance to restart his career. No face time with the media. Lots of past mis-steps to overcome and show he has grown from those experiences. If he does not produce on the field, his career is most likely over and he has to know that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My optimistic side says this is Kiffin's final chance to restart his career. No face time with the media. Lots of past mis-steps to overcome and show he has grown from those experiences. If he does not produce on the field, his career is most likely over and he has to know that.
I think he has the talent, he just needs the structure, and Saban provides structure in spades...

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
From his wiki page:

Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 passer rating, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team the University of Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

I'll take it as long as he doesn't screw us over in the process.
That last sentence says it all and why some of us are skeptical that his "genius" will not come without some embarrassment sooner rather than later. He has always managed to embarrass his employer on all stops that I have read about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.