Why do we hate Lane Kiffin again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonblakeII

Scout Team
Feb 19, 2012
Seattle, WA
Serious question. Other than just being overall socially bizarre is there a specific reason why as Bama fans we didn't care for him (other than being the coach at UT). Did he say anything negative about Saban or Bama?

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
I don't hate him. I'm not keen on his personality, but it's not like I have to go have drinks with the guy. I just thought he had some major character issues when he was coaching UT. I think as an OC he'll be good. I just want to be sure that the team we love isn't burned by something like recruitment violations.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If I remember correctly, we seemed to have hated Coach Saban when he was the head coach of LSU. We changed our tune when he joined us.

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
From his wiki page:

Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 passer rating, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team the University of Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

I'll take it as long as he doesn't screw us over in the process.

MacadamianNut

1st Team
Sep 21, 2007
Georgia
I personally wasn't a fan of his comments after the 2009 game

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2009/10/lane_kiffin_its_a_game_that_we.html

And if I remember correctly, the headsets weren't working due to Tennessee overloading some circuits or something like that

That's all that has rubbed me the wrong way about him though. It's not like if he pulls a UT again where he bolts after one year we'll be devastated, so I'm not worried about that. Looking forward to what he can do for us as OC.

OreGUN Ducks

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 23, 2012
Mountain View, CA
I may be in the minority among college football fans, but I actually think Kiffin is a home-run hire as an OC. Despite having zero aptitude towards being a head coach, he's highly regarded as an X's and O's coordinator, and that's where his real passion is too. His time at USC as an OC was pretty incredible.

Rocknrolltide

1st Team
Aug 15, 2007
Foley, AL
If you took his name out of it and just went by his resume, he's a home run hire. Many people won't be able to because of personal reasons.

To us, football is personal as fans. To coaches, its all a business. It's where you try to get the best you can out of your coaches and players. I believe that Saban has done that well in the past, and I trust that he will in the future.

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
You remember how Lance Thompson was badmouthed when he left Bama for Tenn...Saban took him back! It's good business guys...he's a good recruiter! I don't hate or dislike Kiffin. What he did leaving Tenn had nothing to do with Bama.

He was termed a "jerk" from things he said that got to the media...with Saban's policy he'll not have that chance. I like the hire! Our offence was getting so precdictable even my wife was frustrated with it, and I'm talking about a lady that cheers wildly on re-plays!!

gotta go!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Because he's a pretty boy who has managed to foul up everything he touched and then look with that all innocent "I'd never do that" look. He's a head coach because of his name, and somehow he manages to colossally screw up at job A, get fired, and get a higher profile job making more money, where he then fouls up again. He's basically Rick Neuheisel without the cutting and running.

It would not have surprised me one bit had he wound up the Texas head coach. I'm deadly serious. He's like Jason from the horror movies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've always thought he came across as a jerk, but who knows.

I do recall his leaving ut fondly - I literally poured an adult beverage and sat reading the meltdown all night. One of my favorite sports-related evenings ever.

So I guess I'm torn. As long as our staff keeps everything under wraps, I think it's a good / potentially great hire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.