Link: AL.com: Alabama hires Lane Kiffin as offensive coordinator

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm curious how the Kiffin attitude will affect the team. My perspective from following him in the news is that he is obnoxious, but I've never met the man...that could certainly be wrong.

Maybe being in Tuscaloosa, Kiffin will be exposed to some class and perhaps a little will rub off on him.
I don't think we saw his attitude completely. I think most of the players and staff respect Lane. I mean the guy was the head coach at Oakland, UT and USC all before he was 35 yo . While not very successful, that is a lot of experience at a high level that makes it hard not to respect.

BAMA JAMMA

Scout Team
Oct 28, 2007
Personally I'm fine with the hire. Kiffin might not of been a great head coach but he isn't a bad coordinator hire. He will be great for recruiting or at least brings more tot he table than Nuss did. That's not a knock against Nuss just saying Kiffin has the bigger resume and I think kids relate to his style. I just hope he does it the right way and does not pull any stunts that will get us in trouble. Mainly I think he is here to develop our QB's and I think he will be great in that regard. Time will tell though but we have some highly touted QB's and they need a great coach to develop them. I'm excited to see what the offense will look like and if he will utilize the backs in more dynamic ways going forward. A-day should bring a crowd just from the new staff and offense along with the QB battle.

in regards to him running his mouth I don't think that will be an issue. Think about what UT was going through before they hired Kiffin. When he came in he knew he needed to light a fire and get the Vile nation behind him. So taking shots are Urban Myth was gravy for them but of course we all just watched the side show and laughed at it all. The way he left UT for USC and all the meltdown from it was of epic proportions. I will never forget the Vile fans posting youtube videos of them burning all their fan gear and swag. It was priceless. Who can blame a coach for wanting to leave that dump in Knoxville? I don't think it's going to be an issue here at Bama as Kiffin seems to of matured (or be humbled) while he was at USC. We all know that Saban doesn't allow coaches to talk to the media much so I don't expect to hear much from him.

The other bonus with this hire is that its rubs against the Vile. Anytime we can do that I'm game! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
If he can maximize the talent we have and roll up the yards and points and stop the turnovers then who cares? CNS will teach him a lot I think. I'm very excited about next year.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
The Fossil swallows hard.

The Fossil reminds himself he has full confidence in Coach Saban's instincts and decisions.

The Fossil smiles broadly.

Welcome, Coach Kiffin!!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Another factor I absolutely love is Kiffin's dad Monte..Maybe he can brainstorm with Coach Saban in the off-season to help us field a better game plan to defend the HUNH offenses..Two of the greatest DC's the game has ever had brainstorming is exciting to think about..

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
This hire is gonna take me a little while to warm up to. I thinl I'll be alright by August. On the plus side, Kiffin has a smoking hot wife. :biggrin:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The dad named Monte would explain one job..... but not three
1.) Oakland: Dad is Monte.
2.) UT: His wife is hawt, and probably looks good in orange. (Only reason I could think up. Remember, we are talking UcheaT. Who wants to wear orange, anyway?)
3.) U$Cw: Was on Carroll's staff. Easy pick when Carroll bolted. Karma for all the recruiting violations.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Kiffin was showing good things for Tenn in one yr,his dream job come open during that time and that don't come often. No he didn't look good leaving in that short time "GOT IT'But tenn looked like they were getting better to me IMO.
He faced strict sanctions at USC and had more Ws than Ls I'm anxouis to see What Coach Saban and he has up there sleeves. Also Monte will probably around sometimes I would to like be in the room when they talk Defense and HNH.

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
In reality, the only place CLK failed was at USCw, they were hit pretty hard with sanctions just 3 years ago (I think). CNS himself might have had a hard time winning there under the same circumstances. I bet the vols forums are going wild.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I remember when I hated Coach Saban. If the offense explodes this coming season then alls well with me. I can learn to love just about anyone at Bama as long as they are winning championships. ;)
I didn't like Nick Saban one bit before he was head coach at Alabama, that's for sure.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Another factor I absolutely love is Kiffin's dad Monte..Maybe he can brainstorm with Coach Saban in the off-season to help us field a better game plan to defend the HUNH offenses..Two of the greatest DC's the game has ever had brainstorming is exciting to think about..

I was thinking this too.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
We now have a former Vol Head Coach as an offensive coordinator and as the Athletic Director. Maybe we can find a job for Johnny Majors! :)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I don't recollect any negativity about him before he became a head coach. The reason he got those plum HC jobs was because everyone was so impressed with him as an OC, and as a recruiter. Not all good coordinators are cut out to be HCs though. Whether he is or isn't, time will tell. I've not the first reason to doubt this hire though.
After two or three years under Coach Saban, he may become a Big Time Coach. He may gain the maturity needed under Coach Saban. Even the Viles may want to have him back in Knoxville! or Maybe he replaces Coach Saban in about 12 to 15 years!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Maybe in that Brainstorming, Coach Saban can help that OLD Timer better prepare the Cowboys defense.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think someone in an interview with Coach Kiffin, if he ever gets to have one (maybe prior to the NCAA Football Championship game), needs to ask him what he thinks about the color: ORANGE! Did he ever like wearing that atrocious color? You know, he did leave after one year. Maybe his wife didn't like that color!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.