Link: AL.com: Alabama hires Lane Kiffin as offensive coordinator

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
Unless we're all badly mistaken, CK is not a long termer...although stranger things have happened. True, he comes across as...ummm...entitled maybe. But...2 questions: Can he coach? check Does he have the track record to prove it? (for the job he was hired for?) check I too recall the 09 Tennessee team and what he was able to do with Crompton...not mention his numbers as on OC at SC. I can't help but marvel at Saban really....He knew the program needed and injection of energy...and enthusiasm....and interest.....and nothing stirs interest like a bit of controversy....I'm thinking that we may see a great deal of excitement from and around our offense...and we may get a chance to watch our new OC grow up....which would really be a neat thing to behold...LOTS of potential for good things here..

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Lane Kiffin representing my alma mater is upsetting. Worst day for me as a Bama fan in many years.

RTRCharlotte

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2010
Lane is the coach I love to hate.
Recruiting - hard to argue with the results at USC. However, his years at Tn, while initially bright, ended with Hostessgate and several high profile players getting kicked off the team.
Offensive Coaching - people talk about tye hay days of USC. But I could have succeeded with Reggie Bush, Lendale White, etc.
Vols 2014 game - imagine the hate in Neyland Stadium next year. Almost makes the hire worthwhile.
Access to Monte - Maybe valuable.
Then there's Layla

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I agree 100% with ya Poke..This has the potential to either be one of the best hires ever in college football or it has the potential to become a complete disaster hires ever in college football..When we look at Coach Saban's track record when it comes hiring assistant coaches, I have no doubts this hiring will pan out for the good, really truly the only hire that didn't turn out well was Applewhite..
I agree. As I view this, Kiffin has taken some hard career blows to his coaching reputation and much of it was self inflicted. I'm sure he has done some serious soul searching since his dismissal from USC. This guy really needs us more than we need him and he realizes this is a perfect opportunity to restore his reputation. Failure here would end it all for him and he has to know it. I think this brings renewed fire and energy to our program. Next season is going to be exciting.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Can anyone cite any precedents where a former head coach fired at a top name program was successeful as an assistant coach in the college ranks at another top name program?

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
Many great OC's have struggled when they tried to be HC and call plays.

Interesting side note Mac and Nuss both coached under Pat Hill and Kiffin played for him and was on the staff for him as a GA.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
First I don't know why people are getting upset. Second coaching is no different then other professions. Just because one might be a great worker does not necessarily mean
you can be a good manager. some people can be bosses and some can't.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
First I don't know why people are getting upset. Second coaching is no different then other professions. Just because one might be a great worker does not necessarily mean
you can be a good manager. some people can be bosses and some can't.
Agree. And I also have to laugh at people on here that hate someone that they dont even know.....

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
You can say all these good things, think these good things and hope for good things but unless the leopard changes his spots, it is unlikely these things will happen and end positively.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Can anyone cite any precedents where a former head coach fired at a top name program was successeful as an assistant coach in the college ranks at another top name program?
Ears Whitworth went on to be an assistant coach at Georgia. Galen Hall went on to be a long time assistant at Penn State after being fired from Florida. Also, Mike Shula is doing pretty well with the Panthers. Curley Hallman was an assistant here at Bama after being fired from LSU. These come to mind....I'm sure there are many others.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.