Link: AL.com: Alabama hires Lane Kiffin as offensive coordinator

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Maybe being in Tuscaloosa, Kiffin will be exposed to some class and perhaps a little will rub off on him.
Maybe some already has...
Lane Kiffin
“We want to thank The University of Alabama and Coach Saban for this tremendous opportunity, and we feel humbled and honored to be a part of the Crimson Tide family,” Kiffin said in the release. “I’ve always had the utmost respect for what Coach Saban has done with his programs. Having the unique opportunity to be here last month, I was able to meet some of the great players and the great people in the organization, and I’m very excited to start working with them. We’ve seen the passion and support of the Alabama fans firsthand, and when that’s combined with the storied history and tradition of the program, this is a very special place to coach.”
http://cw.ua.edu/2014/01/10/lane-kiffin-hired-to-be-next-alabama-offensive-coordinator/
.... or maybe CNS wrote that for him. :biggrin:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm the sort of person that people ask opinions of when it comes to Alabama football. I'll tell you guys what my first thoughts were.

I know Kiffin can recruit, I know he knows offense, and I know he brings a youthful brash energy to everything he does. I know most of the time his players are well prepared. I also know he's been trouble everywhere he's been. The one thing that seems obvious to me is that many were questioning if the game had passed Nick Saban by. If he had peaked and was on his way down. I don't know the answer to that question but know this. The hiring of someone like Lane Kiffin is proof that Nick Saban is not going to disappear quietly into the night while others take over college football. He's either about to start another run or he's going go down kicking, screaming, and fighting till the end. I'll quote one of my favorite movie characters, James Kirk. "Buckle Up!"

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Welcome Coach Kiffin.
Agreed, welcome Coach Kiffin! More good days are on the horizon for us thanks to forward looking decisions like this by Coach Saban. I'm really excited to see what the offense AND defense morphs into next season.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I find it amusing at all the posters who are researching statistics to now justify hiring Kiffin when less than 6 months ago these same posters were calling him every name in the book and belittling him at any opportunity. Strange.
I fall into this category, and I'm glad to own it. If fact, I was making fun of him 2 weeks ago. I don't like the guy, and I am not going to pretend I do. OTOH, there is reason a CNS hired him, and looking back at his performance on the field is the the first logical place to look. I don't see anything strange about it. He is our OC now, and all we can hope for is that he keeps his mouth shut, does a great job, and stays out of trouble. His record on the field suggests he'll do a good job with offense, let's just hope his other traits don't follow him here.

I'll also admit that I was not a fan CNS re-hiring Lance Thompson, and after the Miami stuff came out, I wanted Jeff Stoutland and Joe Panunzzio to be offered "other opportunities in the community" immediately. All of those hires have turned out be good.

Luckily for us, the next time CNS calls me to ask my input on his program will be the first time!;)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Sort of sums it up for me. Far more questions about Kiffin's offensive acumen than him doing something offensive to embarrass the school or program. Short leash? I suspect he's been roped to a tree.

By the way, "the System," the recent book on college football, has an entire chapter on Hostessgate -- from the perspective of the girls involved. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'm just glad it occurred quickly and since it was so quick I would guess CNS got his 1st choice. The speed will help with recruiting since that is one bit of uncertainty removed.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
First of all welcome Coach Kiffin. Second,there has been talk on here about CLKs demeanor, I personally think that Coach Sabans tunnel vision doesn't allow him to dwell on such. Coach Saban is worried about winning football games, period. I am of the same mindset. I think if Miley Cyrus was a great OC and CNS wanted her I would be all for it. WINNING football games, number one priority, period.
If some fans are against this hire, there's a team across the state that they can root for.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
By the way, if there are any you guys with hurt feelings, upset stomachs, or ill will who have season tickets you want to give up...please let me know. I'll be glad to take them. :)

I hope beyond hope this goes even better then we can imagine just so some of you will have to eat lots of fat juicy crow. I hope CLK is the poster boy for good behavior, visits childrens hospitals, is a role model to players, coaches an offense that scores over 40 ppg, helps us garner in multiple more top rated recruiting classes, and helps us in an effort for #16 and beyond...

I do believe there are some of you who would LIKE TO SEE US FAIL just to say "I told you so"... If that's the case, there's a "lovely little village on the plains" towards the end of Hwy 280 you can visit any time you like... :biggrin:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I fall into this category, and I'm glad to own it. If fact, I was making fun of him 2 weeks ago. I don't like the guy, and I am not going to pretend I do. OTOH, there is reason a CNS hired him, and looking back at his performance on the field is the the first logical place to look. I don't see anything strange about it. He is our OC now, and all we can hope for is that he keeps his mouth shut, does a great job, and stays out of trouble. His record on the field suggests he'll do a good job with offense, let's just hope his other traits don't follow him here.

I'll also admit that I was not a fan CNS re-hiring Lance Thompson, and after the Miami stuff came out, I wanted Jeff Stoutland and Joe Panunzzio to be offered "other opportunities in the community" immediately. All of those hires have turned out be good.

Luckily for us, the next time CNS calls me to ask my input on his program will be the first time!;)
^^^^^^This times ten. If LK was being hired as Bama's head coach I would go out and by full body armor, physical, mental and spiritual, because I'm pretty sure I would need it. That is not the case, so I'm good. :rolleye2:

Last edited:

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Hey guys and gals, say what you will (and I know you will, and I wouldn't have it any other way), and I know there is a good amount of angst concerning this hiring, but I'm just going to suggest this...Give...the...guy...a...chance. Yes, let's remain alert as to any monkey business, but I trust CNS and I really do believe Bama needs to go in a different direction as far as the offensive play is concerned. With the talent Bama's had at their disposal this year Bama should have put 60 on the board before CNS even had a chance of thinking about calling off the pachyderms. After the disappointment in the last two games, I am as excited about NSD, Spring Drills, A-Day, Fall Drills and Opening Game as I think I have ever been. Will we finally see this juggernaut, that CNS has been assembling, unleashed to the total dismay of anyone that blocks their path? UNLEASH THIS BEAST! ROLL TIDE!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.