JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Kiffin hired as Alabama offensive coordinator
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
January 10th, 2014 07:00 PM

Alabama hired former Southern Cal and Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin as its new offensive coordinator Friday, quickly filling the vacancy left when Doug Nussmeier left Alabama for the same job at Michigan. . "We are excited to have Lane join our staff," said Alabama […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Love it. The tempo should help but I'd hate to see us take away the style of our offense, the draw of recruits to be ready for the NFL, the type of QBs we have, etc. Now get on the recruiting trail (as soon as you're allowed) LK!!

P.S. I bet CNS is now asking him about recruiting tactic$ he employed at UTK.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
Going to be interesting for sure. My TN buddies are going to be coming out like crazy to talk smack.
I support Saban and think he can control him. Go get 'em LK...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Going to be interesting for sure. My TN buddies are going to be coming out like crazy to talk smack.
I support Saban and think he can control him. Go get 'em LK...
Not sure what any of them would have to talk smack about. They haven't deserved to be on the same field as Alabama since 2006, except for one year: 2009 when Kiffin was their coach.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
*blinks* I am at a loss for words...amazingly. I trust Saban, but not this dude. It might take a LOOONG time for me to not be terrified that he is doing something underhanded. Scared also that he might cause some more NCAA issues just like he did at TN, trust our guys don't think I can look at Kiffin in an 'our guy' way yet. Fireworks, I'm pretty sure hopefully good though. Upnote I guess is his hot wife in Crimson...for all the guys to ogle at :)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
*blinks* I am at a loss for words...amazingly. I trust Saban, but not this dude. It might take a LOOONG time for me to not be terrified that he is doing something underhanded. Scared also that he might cause some more NCAA issues just like he did at TN, trust our guys don't think I can look at Kiffin in an 'our guy' way yet. Fireworks, I'm pretty sure hopefully good though. Upnote I guess is his hot wife in Crimson...for all the guys to ogle at :)
Look on the bright side, you'll likely only have to be nervous for a season.

I think what most people don't realize is that LK is just as big a fball junkie as CNS is. Personality ain't much different either

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
If other fans weren't nervous they would ignore this instead of commenting so much about it. If this was at LSU or UGA or AU (pre Malzahn) we'd be saying "He is unethical." and thinking "Dang he might improve things there as a coordinator."

Last edited:

LagunaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 6, 2013
wow. No. 1 in recruiting this year. We're going to have a special ranking for next year. Good spot for Lane. He can't talk to the media, and will get a couple years learning from the best. RTR

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
One player that has to be excited it Jalston Fowler. He could be very effective in this system. He seemed to be step slow but that was expected after his major surgery. Hopefully will be back to full strength next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)
I'm digging this, in a strange sort of way. Like the out of the box thinking by Saban. Should give our competition fits and that much more to try and prepare for. I think this could be a win-win for all involved. I support this and welcome to the Crimson Tide, Coach Kiffin! Can't wait to see what you draw up for the opposing defenses.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
A friend sent me this. Is this true.

Kiffin began working with the University of Southern California (USC) staff during the 2001 season and became the wide receivers coach prior to the 2002 season. For the 2004 season, he added the duties of passing game coordinator, and he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2005 season after Norm Chow left USC for the same position with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. Kiffin also took the reins as recruiting coordinator that year. Along with these duties, Kiffin continued as the wide receivers coach. Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 passer rating, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team the University of Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
Kiffin helped guide USC to a 23–3 win-loss record during his tenure as offensive coordinator,

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
A friend sent me this. Is this true.

Kiffin began working with the University of Southern California (USC) staff during the 2001 season and became the wide receivers coach prior to the 2002 season. For the 2004 season, he added the duties of passing game coordinator, and he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2005 season after Norm Chow left USC for the same position with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. Kiffin also took the reins as recruiting coordinator that year. Along with these duties, Kiffin continued as the wide receivers coach. Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 passer rating, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team the University of Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
Kiffin helped guide USC to a 23–3 win-loss record during his tenure as offensive coordinator,
Yes.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
You can't argue with the good things he's managed to produce in the past. I don't like him as a person, but so long as he only gets to speak with the media a few times/year and does his job in recruiting (without infractions) and stays in the booth during games, I think I may be able to stomach knowing he's up there.

Do your job, Kitten. Nothing more. Nothing less.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Hopefully, this is a sign that he will keep his mouth in check while at Alabama:
Lane Kiffin
“We want to thank The University of Alabama and Coach Saban for this tremendous opportunity, and we feel humbled and honored to be a part of the Crimson Tide family,” Kiffin said in the release. “I’ve always had the utmost respect for what Coach Saban has done with his programs. Having the unique opportunity to be here last month, I was able to meet some of the great players and the great people in the organization, and I’m very excited to start working with them. We’ve seen the passion and support of the Alabama fans firsthand, and when that’s combined with the storied history and tradition of the program, this is a very special place to coach.”
http://cw.ua.edu/2014/01/10/lane-kiffin-hired-to-be-next-alabama-offensive-coordinator/
Nice, non pot stirring Statement.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
You can't argue with the good things he's managed to produce in the past. I don't like him as a person, but so long as he only gets to speak with the media a few times/year and does his job in recruiting (without infractions) and stays in the booth during games, I think I may be able to stomach knowing he's up there.

Do your job, Kitten. Nothing more. Nothing less.
My thoughts, exactly!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
OK, I had finished my posts on LK before he was announced, so here's my first and last on his hiring:

I posted the record someone else posted in this thread a few days ago in a now-locked thread...OK, it's a given - he can coach, and he can recruit.
Al Davis calling him a liar, well, Al Davis may not be a liar but he has his own set of issues which should preclude him from calling anyone else names, regardless of the situation. He got fooled and schooled, shame on him.
His career since Oakland has been, well, interesting...cheating at orange puke university didn't start with LK's arrival, and their program was in the toilet when he got there. He just swished the fecal matter around a bit. Perfect for that group.
Even if he has a high-maintenance wife, well...she IS hawt. :biggrin2:
He didn't come to Bama for the money, but IMO for an education, and also the chance to teach. He doesn't have a long leash, he screws up and he's gone...pretty sure everyone believes that to be a given. So I don't see it happening.
I will be in the "wait and see" group, because realistically anything can happen now, but if I had to bet I'd say there won't be anyone, including those who despise him, who will hate the results of his coming here. They could be bad, but I don't think they will be; I think CNS knows exactly what he is doing.
RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.