Question: Assuming if Blake Sims, or Luke Del Rio is the starter for 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
i seem to recall saban saying something in the past about OC's. something to the effect of "we bring them in to do what we do, not for us to do what they do. sooverall i wouldnt expect much to change. i would hope we use howard more, but otherwise, i think we have been doing pretty well. if we can get the o-line playing better, then we will be fine.
I agree except that I believe coach is going to give Lane more free reign to implement his system. I just get the feeling that fresh ideas will permeate this program with the effect that coach will spend more time with innovation on defense and let the hired gun do his thing.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I'm not worried about our RB's, WR's, TE's or the play calling. What I am worried about is the OL. It all begins and ends right there and we have to get back to making the other team quit after they have been hammered for 3 quarters. No way we get stopped on 3rd and one and 4th and one with our 2012 line.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not worried about our RB's, WR's, TE's or the play calling. What I am worried about is the OL. It all begins and ends right there and we have to get back to making the other team quit after they have been hammered for 3 quarters. No way we get stopped on 3rd and one and 4th and one with our 2012 line.
This is my concern. I'm not concerned about Kiffin. I think he'll do his thing with the playcalling and QB. It's the OL coach and how gets them to perform. They looked too soft and confused this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Why are we writing off Morris? I know he isn't fast afoot, but he looked pretty good moving the team in the A Day game. This will be a fun 8 months or so.
Having seen him play at HS, he can throw the ball. May not be swift, but if he does have to run, he won't break like Brodie Croyle. His weakness may be his mental acumen, and the faster pace the college game moves at.

Go For 16

Jan 11, 2014
I agree 100%. Does the O.C. decide what type of blocking schemes are used or does he defer to the offensive line coach?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I agree 100%. Does the O.C. decide what type of blocking schemes are used or does he defer to the offensive line coach?
It's more about what they can do. Not all can impose their will like the 2012 bunch. They were animals. FWIW I think we have more on the way but FR, even widely talented ones, struggle in the sec. They have to grow into the position usually.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Why are we writing off Morris? I know he isn't fast afoot, but he looked pretty good moving the team in the A Day game. This will be a fun 8 months or so.
I don't think anyone is writing anyone off but there is only one football. We have 4 or 5 quality quarterbacks but they can't all play. I think Morris has all the physical tools but just has not progressed mentally, which is more important. There will probably be attrition this Spring/Fall when the starter is named or the competition between the last two begin.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because Saban said Del Rio is the number 3. When a freshman passes you, you're in trouble. That's just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Looks like we are in pretty good shape.
Now that we changed the OC. The upcoming QB competition will be more wide open than any of us dreamed.
The 'Spring Game' should be a shootout.
Although I do enjoy the spring game I would expect we would see only a flash or two of things to come in the fall. The Saban scripted spring game won't tip the hand, guaranteed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, it's not like he has no talent. He was offered scholarships to Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Colorado to name a few. Luke wanted to play for Coach Saban.
And he was lucky enough to have a dad who can pay the freight. Over the last few years, we've been lucky enough to have several outstanding players whose parents sacrificed by paying tuition to free up needed schollies...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Well, it's not like he has no talent. He was offered scholarships to Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Colorado to name a few. Luke wanted to play for Coach Saban.
Didn't say that but I would hope we wouldn't offer schollies just to offer them. I love the walk-on mentality and love when they make it on the field. I am honestly worried far less about the QB play than the OL. Regardless of how talented a QB is a porous OL can make a great QB "look" bad. From what we saw this year I'd give a lean to someone who get giddyup out of the pocket.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
This is just one of many that mentioned.

@DrewDALIntel: Not official, but hearing redshirt freshman QB Luke Del Rio is leaving UA to transfer to Oregon State

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I find it odd he would consider transferring since he was number 3 on the depth chart and has a good chance of making a contribution this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.