Do You Feel the Selection Committee Will "Get it Right" or do you have concerns?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Re: Do You Feel the Selection Committee Will "Get it Right" or do you have concerns?

There was a good thread about this before and I still feel the 4 team selection would work much better with the previous BCS formula, maybe with a small tweak in computers especially as relates to SOS. I don't like the potential wildly subjective aspect of this selection committee at all. JMHO

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Re: Do You Feel the Selection Committee Will "Get it Right" or do you have concerns?

If we are undefeated and win the conference, we are likely an obvious choice for the playoffs. But if we slip up and find our team "on the bubble" for the playoff, another dynamic kicks in.

Here is how it works with committees. Nothing is decided in the official meeting, it is simply where the vote is taken. No matter what is said in the meeting leading to the vote, the results are decided in the days or nights before.

In a committee this size it will take only five or six people to form an unauthorized "invisible" subcommittee and agree on which teams they want in the playoff. That group will target "lone wolf" committee members and individually make agreements, or trade offs, to vote for the other's favorites. You will soon have a majority voting for the invisible subcommittee's teams because all the lone wolf choices won't be the same. It's pure math and cunning. All this subterfuge is deniable, it's tricky, it's morally questionable, it's human nature-and it works.

So, our concern should be: Is there is that kind of support for Bama among the current committee members? Because without that support, the above scenario will play out with us excluded.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I have CONCERNS!

I think it's hard NOT to be BIASED when you are currently in a position as an AD, etc. or an alumni of a school that's in the top 10. What if Arkansas were to be a top five team and it's obvious that they are not in the top 4? How would their AD see this?

Condi Rice may be the most unbiased on the committee, but I'm not even sure about that (Stanford).

I think that the BCS at least used OBJECTIVE data. Will this committee use OBJECTIVE data or SUBJECTIVE thought? I just don't know.

LagunaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 6, 2013

Concerns. Wish they'd keep the same BCS formula for the playoff teams. Just let top 4 ranked teams go. Take out the biased human element. Between biases and the ole $$$$ in the back room, I'd rather see the two polls and computer average figure it out.

Edit: also, with the polls you have a lot more people involved than a small committee. Hundreds more. Makes it less likely for a handful of pollsters to screw it up. Kinda like using a mutual fund with 500 stocks or just 10.

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

I really don't understand a lot about the process

1.Can two teams from the same conference be included in the final four?
2. Will the committee members have to publicly disclose their picks?
3. Are the members chosen for life or how many years.
4.Can they be voted out if people think they are serving their own agendas?
5.Do you have to win your conference to be included?

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

I don't think anyone knows the answers to these questions yet. I may be wrong, but I don't think the actual details have yet been worked out. We have to go to this plan so that we can know what it is.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Unknown
4. Unknown
5. No (they have said it will be given "very serious weight" though

LagunaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 6, 2013

The playoff ideal is a bad one i hope it flops. The bcs was working fine.
bcs formula was fine but i actually prefer an 8 team playoff with the same old formula. no one's gonna give a darn about that 9th team that shoulda gotten in.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

bcs formula was fine but i actually prefer an 8 team playoff with the same old formula. no one's gonna give a darn about that 9th team that shoulda gotten in.
In my mind, best solution is top four BCS.

But as long as we're using a committee and adding weight to conference champs, I prefer eight teams to four. I can see the strong possibility of a #2, #3, or #4 team, who is definitely strong enough to compete favorably in a tourney against any other three teams, getting left out because they weren't a conference champ. If you have eight with auto-inclusion for the six major conference champs plus two wildcards, you're not likely to leave anyone out who actually has a realistic shot of winning it.

Including eight would have the added benefit of eliminating much of the potential source of debate over having to choose between lower-ranked conference champs and higher-ranked non-champs. They'd likely all make the cut - the 2013 Bama and Ohio State and the 2013 Baylor and UCF. Any who missed out on that cut really doesn't have a legit shot of winning the tourney anyway.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA

I'd like a top 6 BCS ranking set the playoffs. 1 and 2 have a clear advantage, so it preserves the aspect of a great regular season still having value. I'd also like an auto-qualification for undefeated teams in FBS. At the end of the day, your Boise St of the world would have to win 3 games in a row against top 5 competition. I am tired of hearing programs whine about not having their shot. A six team playoff gives enough room that they can be included, and honestly, if you are ranked #6 I have a hard time buying your case for the NC if you get bumped out.

There are pros and cons to all of the different playoff scenarios, tbh. The BCS has obvious problems, but I do think it is better than people give it credit for.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org

If there's MONEY involved, (THE BOWLS), it will be done in a way to enhance the Money aspect!
They're HUMAN and will do another, well positioned, humans bidding, guaranteed!
Although 99% of CFB fans will believe every word they tell you as to why those 4 teams are in their respective positions!

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.

It's all about the Benjamins...in this case, it's the tv dollars. The ptb at ESPN aren't stupid. They need eyes on tv's. They didn't pay megabucks in the "hope" that the BCS would supply them with games that would make this happen. So the NCAA scraps the BCS and forms this "committee", then says "look, we can not only control the teams, but also the matchups". It's a whole lot easier to "tweak" a 13 member committee than it is 150+ voters and computers. Never will you see two teams from the same conference (particularly the SEC) play for a national championship. If this "committee" can't keep them totally out, they'll make sure they play in the first round. The reality is, nationwide, an Auburn/ Alabama re-match won't get the kind of ratings ESPN paid for. In this new system, national appeal will trump the quality of the football played. The best team won't matter. If another Okie St./Bama situation occurs...I guarantee Bama wouldn't get the nod, despite the quality of football.

uofaJO1987

1st Team
Oct 25, 2011
Highland Home, AL

I think they'll get it right. I still think the BCS for the most part did its job. I do think there will be just as much discussion over who #4 is as there was over who #2 should have been in the BCS. I'd say we will expand to 8 within 4 years.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

In my mind, best solution is top four BCS.

But as long as we're using a committee and adding weight to conference champs, I prefer eight teams to four. I can see the strong possibility of a #2, #3, or #4 team, who is definitely strong enough to compete favorably in a tourney against any other three teams, getting left out because they weren't a conference champ. If you have eight with auto-inclusion for the six major conference champs plus two wildcards, you're not likely to leave anyone out who actually has a realistic shot of winning it.

Including eight would have the added benefit of eliminating much of the potential source of debate over having to choose between lower-ranked conference champs and higher-ranked non-champs. They'd likely all make the cut - the 2013 Bama and Ohio State and the 2013 Baylor and UCF. Any who missed out on that cut really doesn't have a legit shot of winning the tourney anyway.
I agree, top 4 BCS.

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010

I predict that this so-called playoff system will create even more confusion and animosity than the old BCS plan. I have a few questions:

1. Will the committee members actually watch games?

2. Do the members know anything about football?

3. Can the members be accepted as objective judges?

4. Will the judges watch the games they choose or only follow "their" teams?

I opened a can of smoked kippers tonight and a fishy odor came out.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.

The reason this "committee" was formed was to get different results than the BCS was providing. Different, not better...they're not the same thing. The ptb at the NCAA and the media will try and convince the majority of fans nationwide that this is better, and since a lot of cfb fans nationally want something different, they'll be eager to believe it.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005

I for one am really excited about the Final Four format coming up in my beloved college football. That said I do have some serious concerns. My biggest current problems come with the lack of specifics concerning the OBJECTIVE criteria.

The most troubling comment I've heard was that the committee might "tweak" the seedings to get or avoid a certain matchup.

This AIN'T a story script! I think to protect and preserve the integrity of the process they would be advised to let the chips fall where they may and avoid tinkering as much as possible.
There will be no issues. The playoffs are the answer and fix to all that is wrong with college football. They can't make any mistakes, becasue they are the committee and will be able to adapt and change the rules to make everything fair.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.