Do You Feel the Selection Committee Will "Get it Right" or do you have concerns?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Do You Feel the Selection Committee Will "Get it Right" or do you have concerns?

I for one am really excited about the Final Four format coming up in my beloved college football. That said I do have some serious concerns. My biggest current problems come with the lack of specifics concerning the OBJECTIVE criteria.

The most troubling comment I've heard was that the committee might "tweak" the seedings to get or avoid a certain matchup.

This AIN'T a story script! I think to protect and preserve the integrity of the process they would be advised to let the chips fall where they may and avoid tinkering as much as possible.

BillDee

3rd Team
Sep 7, 2010
Athens, GA
www.BillDunston.com
Re: Do You Feel the Selection Committee Will "Get it Right" or do you have concerns?

"Get it right" means different things to different people. Who ever arrives at a decision to knowingly "get it wrong"? No matter what, somebody will be upset.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Re: Do You Feel the Selection Committee Will "Get it Right" or do you have concerns?

I HATE the idea of a selection committee at all. We've essentially taken a committee composed of 164 subjective individuals and 6 objective computer rankings and replaced it with a committee composed of only 13 subjective individuals, including sitting athletic directors and political administrators. Of course they're going to get it wrong.

Should have just taken the top 4 BCS and pitted 1 against 4, 2 against 3.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Honestly when it comes to Bama, they will probably get it right. The media/world isn't against Bama as some fans think. If we are a one loss team at the end, I like our chances of getting in the playoffs.

Now a team that doesn't have the name Alabama..might get screwed at the end.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

The first time the committee's top 4 don't match the AP poll top 4, then there will be a giant uproar. I suspect this will happen the very first year.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I HATE the idea of a selection committee at all. We've essentially taken a committee composed of 164 subjective individuals and 6 objective computer rankings and replaced it with a committee composed of only 13 subjective individuals, including sitting athletic directors and political administrators. Of course they're going to get it wrong.

Should have just taken the top 4 BCS and pitted 1 against 4, 2 against 3

This would have been the easiest option.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC

I'm curious how the polls will be used in helping determine the selection. So, let's say "x" 4 teams end up at the top after all of the conference games (and BTW, I'm assuming there will be polls). What role would the selection committee have? Could they just decide to re-order the teams based on criteria they've set? Is that when they would jump in, or will they have influence on where teams are ranked all throughout the season?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Try this:
USC and Bama are undefeated ranked 1 and 3. They play the SECCG with number 3 winning a hard fought close game in the final minutes. Now you have a one loss SEC team that drops to 4 and an undefeated team 1 or 2. How does that pan out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

I have concerns as I would with any committee trying to make decisions (with politics involved). We will find the BCS format was a lot better than we thought. The teams left out of the top 4 will always generate controversy. At least the BCS format was somewhat transparent.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I thought all along that the BCS formula was fine. You could debate whether it should be 2 teams, or 4, or 8, or whatever. But as a general rule, I thought the BCS rankings got it right.

The hard part for the BCS method of evaluation came when there was a good team from a non-BCS conference -- like Boise State or Northern Illinois. But I'm not sure the committee of 13 (or any system, for that matter) can do any better on this point.

I also choked on the hard-wired path for Notre Dame. They should have had the same path as anybody else, but Kramer and crew made political concessions at the outset for a single team.

Those weaknesses aside, and after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the BCS system, I predict a lot of nostalgia for that very system the first time there's a hint of controversy over the final four.

DESERTELEPHANT

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 1, 2009
Las Vegas

They absolutely will get it wrong in many years and probably with the number four slot. When a situation arises with a Boise or TCU the dreaded word will crop up, "fairness" and a power conference team will be left at home.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Should have just taken the top 4 BCS and pitted 1 against 4, 2 against 3.
If they would just spell out the specific criteria I could make a decision one way or the other. They say it is "evolving" which to means drives me to political thinking which I've come to absolutely LOATHE. The word "AGENDA", can't seem to get it out of my mind when thinking about this. I pray they don't ruin CFB!

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011

I think they will do a solid job. But there will be controversy that will almost always revolve around the 4 spot. If you leave yourself where you have to worry about whether you are 4 or 5, then that's just too bad in my opinion. Like was pointed out above though, let's see some criteria. Right now I think Bama is in a good spot though. Reputation is maybe at all time high so if there's doubt I think Bama would get benefit of said doubt. What will be interesting is most years the 1 and 2 teams were pretty clear by BCS selection time. Maybe you had the occasional debate like Bama/Ok. St. but not very often. But EVERY year there will probably be a lot of 1 loss teams vying for the 3 and 4 spots. That should be interesting to see it play out. Talking media heads will have a field day next year for sure!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

No they won't get it right or No you don't have concerns?
No on both accounts. We're basically back to the system we had pre-BCS but with only 13 people. Purely subjective. Oh I know they've got all these criteria built in but it is still going to be highly subjective and subject to a lot more biases than the BCS.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It all depends on what is meant by "get it right."

If you mean "put the team we all think is probably the best" in the playoff, I think that will happen every single year. We can generally tell who the "four best" are a whole lot easier than the "two best" because we at least have a margin for error.

If you mean "put in the top four every year," well this better happen more often than not. The polls are not so out of touch with reality that anyone seriously thinks number 19 should be ranked number three.

The catch is going to come during a situation like 2011. This may be the ultimate irony since 2011 is what caused this whole thing. Here's the final regular season standings:

1) LSU
2) Alabama
3) OK State
4) Stanford
5) Oregon
6) Arkansas
7) Boise State
8) Kansas State
9) South Carolina
10) Wisconsin

Now remember - they all told us "we have no problem with Alabama in a four-team playoff." But if that were really true there would be no need for a selection committee. Simply keep the BCS and take the top four. Let's use elimination logic of each team

Oregon is out because they lost twice (LSU, USC) and didn't win the Pac 12.

Arkansas is out because the lost to the top two teams by 24 points each time. But should they really be eliminated? Could we not argue Arky was the third-best team in the country? I think we sure could.

South Carolina is out because they lost twice and one of those was a 16-point loss to Arkansas - plus they didn't even win the Eastern division.

Kansas State is out because they didn't win their conference and lost twice.

Okay, we can safely eliminate those three. And nobody disputes LSU belongs, so we've got to figure out who among the remaining five teams gets three spots.

Alabama - one overtime loss to LSU but didn't even win their division
Okie State - one overtime loss to Iowa St but did win their conference
Stanford - one blowout loss to Oregon but won their conference
Boise State - one close loss at home but didn't win their conference
Wisconsin - lost consecutive games by a total of ten points, one on a Hail Mary that they gained revenge for by beating Michigan State in the B1G title game.

We can immediately fill two slots here with one loss teams: Okie St and Stanford easily get the nod. So we now have to pick ONE team out of three: Alabama, Boise State or Wisconsin.

At this point one has to decide whether TWO losses are somehow mitigated by winning the conference. We can pretty much eliminate Boise with these other two teams in competition - but if we do so via the "didn't win the conference" route, how in the world can we seriously take Alabama over Wisconsin? On the other hand, you can't say "well Wisconsin only lost on the last play" without admitting the same for Alabama against LSU.

But the truth is you don't even need a committee for this. In this particular case, the consensus across vote and computer is that not only is Alabama the better choice, they are EIGHT SPOTS HIGHER in the polls. Keep in mind that had there not been the "only two can go" rule in 2011, it is highly doubtful that Okie State's number three ranking would have been as close to the Tide's two as it was.

You wind up with the same four teams as the BCS had - and yet you somehow need a group t make an end run. Make no mistake, this is why the B1G only signed on with the committee - Delaney would have had a field day in the media with this trying to argue that: a) the second win erases the first loss to Michigan State for the Badgers; b) the loss to Ohio St didn't "really count" because the Buckeyes were off the week before while Wisconsin was slugging it out with Mich St (any of you who think I'm exaggerating need only watch that clown for five minutes).

On the whole they will probably do a decent job. Just note that when Verne and Gary come on and say "it's number one Alabama," that the numbers are even more mythical than they've ever been - Loch Ness Monster type myth.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.