Dorial Green Beckham arrested for drugs. Signs to play with Oklahoma

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Re: Dorial Green Beckham arrested for drugs

Stoops shifting into full Switzer mode
I do not purport to have any inside info on this but one of the things OU fans respect the most about Bob Stoops is his no nonsense approach to discipline. He kicked our starting QB off the team before the 2005 season started. Last fall he kicked our #1 RB, Damion Williams, off the team mid-season & well before our crucial games down the stretch.

Bob also has a track record for believing in kids and giving them a second chance. DGB has a long standing and close relationship with our staff. He was generally considered a lock for OU when he came out of H.S. & it was somewhat of a surprise that he went to Mizzou. I have read comments from numerous Mizzou fans who are happy for the kid and who believe he deserves a second chance.

Will it work, time will tell. I think there's a good chance he plays this year. Recent precedent surrounding the LSU b'ball player who was granted immediate eligibility at OSU after being kicked off the Tiger basketball team would seem to say that this is a similar situation. I was listening to Finebaum in my car today and he was openly critical of this move by Stoops and he mentioned a recent incident where Saban allowed two Tide players back on the team and he said he didn't agree with that either. I do not know the circumstances surrounding the Bama situation but I think these situations are what being a great coach is all about. These guys are not just coaches, they are teachers, mentors, and father figures.

I can say this, Stoops would have never done this without some serious due diligence and with the approval of our AD & President Boren.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014

I do not purport to have any inside info on this but one of the things OU fans respect the most about Bob Stoops is his no nonsense approach to discipline. He kicked our starting QB off the team before the 2005 season started. Last fall he kicked our #1 RB, Damion Williams, off the team mid-season & well before our crucial games down the stretch.

Bob also has a track record for believing in kids and giving them a second chance. DGB has a long standing and close relationship with our staff. He was generally considered a lock for OU when he came out of H.S. & it was somewhat of a surprise that he went to Mizzou. I have read comments from numerous Mizzou fans who are happy for the kid and who believe he deserves a second chance.

Will it work, time will tell. I think there's a good chance he plays this year. Recent precedent surrounding the LSU b'ball player who was granted immediate eligibility at OSU after being kicked off the Tiger basketball team would seem to say that this is a similar situation. I was listening to Finebaum in my car today and he was openly critical of this move by Stoops and he mentioned a recent incident where Saban allowed two Tide players back on the team and he said he didn't agree with that either. I do not know the circumstances surrounding the Bama situation but I think these situations are what being a great coach is all about. These guys are not just coaches, they are teachers, mentors, and father figures.

I can say this, Stoops would have never done this without some serious due diligence and with the approval of our AD & President Boren.

As Sagamore Bill posted just above me...

At any other school I would agree, but this is Bob Stoops. He had a starting quarterback and and a second stringer get caught red-handed being paid for jobs they never showed up for, oh yes, they had clocked in, but they were also at practice at the same time. The place they worked was a car dealership owned by a booster, he also supplied cars to the school. The NCAA & IRS had all the evidence...the kids had to pay the back taxes & OU was "forced" to "forfeit" all the games the players appeared in. Two years later, the NCAA returned the games to OU. This kid will play this year. Stoops is the "Teflon Don".

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com

The NCAA & IRS had all the evidence because the OU compliance dept. gave it to them & both players were starters who were kicked off the team. One being the starting QB. Let's put it all on the table here......no OU or Alabama fan should be chastising any other school for transgressions in terms of NCAA violations. The two programs are charter members of the win at all cost mentality of the schools and their boosters. Frankly, I don't give a rats .... Sometimes you do what you have to do.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
Don't forget the OU defensive star who beat another student so badly he was in a coma! No charges brought. Of course "Teflon Bob" kicked him off the team. Then the school got him admitted to rehab for anger management. He was back the next year and the NCAA granted him a "medical redshirt". The NCAA will let OU play Green-Beckham this year...

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014

The NCAA & IRS had all the evidence because the OU compliance dept. gave it to them & both players were starters who were kicked off the team. One being the starting QB. Let's put it all on the table here......no OU or Alabama fan should be chastising any other school for transgressions in terms of NCAA violations. The two programs are charter members of the win at all cost mentality of the schools and their boosters. Frankly, I don't give a rats .... Sometimes you do what you have to do.
Disagree entirely.

The NCAA and IRS had the "evidence" because ou knew they were busted and were trying to mitigate damage. This is just like AJ and Steen last year clocking in for pay at Mercedes, going to work out, and then clocking out on the way home.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

According to the latest AL.com poll, 71% of Alabamians agree with you. However, I'm not comfortable with a whole football team smoking it daily, which a lot of them could, if it were legal. I've seen up close how it leads to a "whatever" attitude which you don't want in a football player. THC lasts a lot longer in the body than alcohol. Once someone has a certain level of it, it doesn't take a lot in the morning to maintain the mood all day long. I've never seen it improve athletic performance yet...
Your right Earle, As a law enforcement officer I can tell you that in Florida that's enough MJ to charge him with Trafficking and distribution. And, if they let him off on this charge, it would be a shame. I personally think that MJ should NOT be legalized because it is the gateway to other drugs. If it were legal, young kids would do it. It would be worse for us law enforcement officers to police the possession of it by a minor than cigarettes are by them. It is already a headache to police the posession of alcohol and cigarettes by minors during Spring breaks and Summers. However, I know that MJ can be used for medicinal purposes, but that's a different ball of wax. All I know is that after almost 20 years in Law Enforcement, I've never seen a frequent user of MJ stop and think of what his/her future may hold. As I said earlier, it is the gateway to other drugs also. I've seen it too many times in my profession. They start out with MJ, and think that's ok. Then later think drugs like Heroin, Cocaine, and Meth will not have an impact on their health and they trry those also. I could go on and on about it but others have their opinions too. I've seen it ruin lives, and would hate to see young athletic kids ruin theirs. JMO

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Let's put it all on the table here......no OU or Alabama fan should be chastising any other school for transgressions in terms of NCAA violations. The two programs are charter members of the win at all cost mentality of the schools and their boosters.
Agree to disagree - OU has been let off for more major violations than we've been nailed for.

No offense, and rationalize as you wish, but there's NO comparing any Bama team to a Switzer-era OU.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

Maybe their new uniforms will make the forget how many times the were caught cheating or maybe their trying to fool the NCAA into thinking its not really OU.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Your right Earle, As a law enforcement officer I can tell you that in Florida that's enough MJ to charge him with Trafficking and distribution. And, if they let him off on this charge, it would be a shame. I personally think that MJ should NOT be legalized because it is the gateway to other drugs. If it were legal, young kids would do it. It would be worse for us law enforcement officers to police the possession of it by a minor than cigarettes are by them. It is already a headache to police the posession of alcohol and cigarettes by minors during Spring breaks and Summers. However, I know that MJ can be used for medicinal purposes, but that's a different ball of wax. All I know is that after almost 20 years in Law Enforcement, I've never seen a frequent user of MJ stop and think of what his/her future may hold. As I said earlier, it is the gateway to other drugs also. I've seen it too many times in my profession. They start out with MJ, and think that's ok. Then later think drugs like Heroin, Cocaine, and Meth will not have an impact on their health and they trry those also. I could go on and on about it but others have their opinions too. I've seen it ruin lives, and would hate to see young athletic kids ruin theirs. JMO
You know what? Life is a gateway to death! Everything leads to something I reckon. Taking a breath of air leads to another breath which leads to.... ;) I have seen my share of bad law enforcement officers but I do not think all law enforcement officers are bad. Do I think MJ should be legalized for recreational usage? Maybe not, but it should be decriminalized. Would that lead to someone not going to jail that probably should? Probably but how would you know that before hand?

I have seen myself what people on drugs and alcohol have done and I have also seen what mentally ill people have done as well as supposedly good righteous people. I do not claim to have the answer to all of societies problems but I don't see how creating criminals from pot smokers is the answer either. We stand on two sides of the law on this subject but which one of us is the criminal? Right now that would be me I suppose to you but probably not for to much longer and certainly not in all states now.

There is a shift in consciousness going on in this world and one day you will be in the minority just as probably all of us will be. It will be a sad day indeed to be judged by those you use to judge wouldn't it? Right or wrong that is where we are headed! ;)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I have no problem with DGB getting another chance, but to suggest that this represents a "second" chance is to ignore our system of numeration. But he is no Jameis Winston, and that creep is still playing college football.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com

I have no problem with DGB getting another chance, but to suggest that this represents a "second" chance is to ignore our system of numeration. But he is no Jameis Winston, and that creep is still playing college football.
Actually, the Switzer years were tame compared to the Wilkinson era but they were sensationalized by the press far more than any previous transgressions. Of the four HC's @ OU who have all reached 100 wins or more in their careers, Stoops has by far the most integrity and is at least the equal of Wilkinson in terms of discipline.

Honestly, I am more upset about our new uni's than I am about this. After DGB has matriculated, no one will remember any of this. The uni's are indelibly etched in one's consciousness.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

I understand it was a pound of the stuff. In most states that's a quantity which causes an "intent to distribute" charge to be brought.
cheech and chong would have a tough time arguing that much is for personal consumption.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

If I ever burn out on CFB, I'll promise you Jameis Winston and that loathsome FSU fanbase will be at the top of the list of reasons.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009

deleted

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Guys, we're not going to discuss the legality of marijuana on the football board - take it to NonSports.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

It seems DGB may well play this year. That seems to be the buzz on twitter. If so, no one should ever sit out for transferring ever again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.