Rumph to UT; DL Coaching Vacancy Discussion (keep all discussion here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Re: Rumph to Texas

Per CoachingSearch.com
Alabama: A source tells CoachingSearch Nick Saban is unlikely to pursue LSU defensive line coach Brick Haley. Do not be surprised if Saban offers the job to Bo Davis, who recently joined Steve Sarkisian’s staff at USC after spending three years at Texas. Davis worked at Alabama with Saban from 2007-10 and also worked with him at LSU and with the Miami Dolphins.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I don't recall anyone blaming Rumph for the lack of our DLmen's pressure over the years - that falls on the DC and his overall vision for what that cog in the defense is responsible for.

IOW, don't hold these potential DL coach hires to a different standard then you held Rumph - I suspect anyone Saban hires will be an excellent coach and if he wants a strong upfield pass rush, he'll get it.
Agreed. the lack of upfield push is the design of the defense in a lot of cases, not due to anything Rumph did or did not do. The DL for us has always been 2gap clog up the middle, not an upfield penetration based scheme. Could we change that up as the game evolves, sure, but you can bet that will be coming from Saban/Smart and not just the DL coach.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Agreed. the lack of upfield push is the design of the defense in a lot of cases, not due to anything Rumph did or did not do. The DL for us has always been 2gap clog up the middle, not an upfield penetration based scheme. Could we change that up as the game evolves, sure, but you can bet that will be coming from Saban/Smart and not just the DL coach.
Was the problem we didn't stop the run by clogging up the middle this year because of Offensive Schemes? Or because Jesse Williams graduated?

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
This may not be a popular opinion, but I would rather have Wayne Hall back than Bo Davis. Just a personal observation and some discussions with those who have knowledge.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I should have put it in blue, but hopefully you get the jest of what I am trying to say.....Bo Davis would not help with any improvement as far as DL play goes.....
We had more pressure from our D-line from 2008-2010 then we do now. Not even close. Just because a guy leaves doesn't mean he can't come back.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Was the problem we didn't stop the run by clogging up the middle this year because of Offensive Schemes? Or because Jesse Williams graduated?
not just Jessie Williams, but also Square and Dial. All three of those guys are on NFL rosters and even though were part time starters or just in rotation, played a lot when needed to clog things up. We were a good bit smaller up front this year with Stinson and Pagan both being 290ish and Ivory at 320.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.