Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast
    FB | REC Moderator

Safety C.J. Hampton Updates (Enrolled at Ole Miss)

Definitely one to follow here. Hampton is committed to Ole Miss, but it's been exceedingly clear that he remains open, and he's high on Alabama (as is the 'Bama staff on him). He was in Tuscaloosa last week, and he plans on returning for an official visit. Wouldn't be any real surprise if he ultimately flipped to us down the stretch.

Note that even though he is a Mississippi kid, location actually helps us here. He's from Meridian, so he's actually far closer to Tuscaloosa than he is to Oxford. MSU isn't a real player here, so he'll end up at either 'Bama or Ole Miss.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Re: Safety C.J. Hampton Updates (Ole Miss Commit)

What about his grades? Can a Mississippi kid REALLY help this team? I don't like them, they smell funny!
    Got all that out of the way.

Is he part of the plan, does anybody have a realistic guess where he is on the pecking order?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

FB | REC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Is he part of the plan, does anybody have a realistic guess where he is on the pecking order?
    He's pretty high up there, arguably even higher than Ronnie Clark. Either way, regardless of specific pecking order, he's a take at this time and it looks like we're willing to hold a spot for him for a while.

FWIW, Tony Brown and Davion Hall are probably at or near the very top of our safety board. Not overly likely we get either of those two, though, so more realistically our top options right now at safety are Hampton, Clark, and Laurence Jones. Still fairly early, but I tend to believe that all three have commitable offers at this point in time.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; August 14th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We can send our most famous alum from Meridian to recruit him.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

FB | REC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    We can send our most famous alum from Meridian to recruit him.
    Only problem is she's about old enough to be his grandmother

Not that I have room to talk these days, but you know...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    He's pretty high up there, arguably even higher than Ronnie Clark. Either way, regardless of specific pecking order, he's a take at this time and it looks like we're willing to hold a spot for him for a while.

FWIW, Tony Brown and Davion Hall are probably at or near the very top of our safety board. Not overly likely we get either of those two, though, so more realistically our top options right now at safety are Hampton, Clark, and Laurence Jones. Still fairly early, but I tend to believe that all three have commitable offers at this point in time.
    BET, we have Chris Williams at safety. How many more will be in this class?
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Not BET, but my guess is we try to take at least 2 of the 3 that seem more likely than others (Clark, Jones, Hampton). I think we could snag Hall, but he prefers WR and Baylor's passing game is attractive (unless their new QB flounders this year). I always worry about MS kids and the Ole Miss boosters getting involved, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got Clark and Hampton. I also think we get Tabor and Humphrey.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    JPS answered your question already. I started looking at our roster, and Bama is losing the majority of its safeties in the next two seasons.

Nick Perry graduates. HaHa is gone to the NFL. Vinnie can leave if he wants. Jarrick Williams can leave, too. That leaves Landon Collins and any of the freshmen at safety for sure coming back (barring a transfer).

Bama needs to load up on DB this class.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    ... I always worry about MS kids and the Ole Miss boosters getting involved,.
    Well placed concern, my friend. And the NCAA is getting a bit worried also.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

So we'll take 1 or 2 more safeties? I'm betting 1.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

Even with the potential to play a lot as a freshman and Alabama winning the distance factor, there' still so much pressure for these kids to stay in-state. And that goes for State prospects too. For a state that has no program that's seen much success (save for Ole Miss 50 years ago under Vaught), it has always been strange to me that there's so much pressure for those kids to stay home.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team Lost in TN's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jabcmb View Post
    Well placed concern, my friend. And the NCAA is getting a bit worried also.
    The NZAA will do nothing. They will let Johnnie Football slide and they will continue to let the Barn and Ole Siss get a pass.

BamaNation All-SEC

How does he compare to Hootie Jones ?