Question: With Sunseri leaving, do the powers that be think it will help flip some recruits?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Tony Conner, right?

BET, it seems to me you're putting a lot of faith in a bunch of kids who haven't yet shown they are every-down players. I also think Conner would have contributed significantly to our backfield last year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd disagree on that one. Two reasons:

(1) We should still be fine at safety even without Vinnie coming back. Landon Collins will be a star, and Jarrick Williams and Nick Perry will be solid players opposite him. We'll get the depth we need between Geno Smith and Jai Miller, and in general safety play hasn't been the issue for us at DB, it has been (and remains) cornerback play.

(2) Carter would have definitely played cornerback in our scheme, and Bell probably would have ended up there as well. Neither of those two guys would have given us much help in 2014 at safety.
They would have provided depth, though. Like you said in your other post, Collins is gone after his coming season. Perry and Williams are gone. Who does that leave at Safety?

Tony Conner, right?
Yes. Not sure why I said Carter.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Tony Conner, right?

BET, it seems to me you're putting a lot of faith in a bunch of kids who haven't yet shown they are every-down players. I also think Conner would have contributed significantly to our backfield last year.
Conner, of course. I read Tony Carter and mixed the two because he's been talked about heavily this morning re: the AFC Championship Game after the Broncos' latest injury at DB.

In any event, I wouldn't say that I'm putting faith in kids who haven't shown they can be every-down players. Perry and Williams have shown that they can hold up just fine in the SEC, provided that we don't get them isolated out wide in man coverage (which is a pretty big no-no for just about any safety, Clinton-Dix and Collins included). Geno isn't quite at that level yet, but I suspect he would hold up well enough if pressed into action. That gives us a star player and three solid complimentary pieces, plus whatever you can get out of Jai Williams and the true freshmen.

Don't get me wrong, we've certainly got some real areas of concern on this defense, but I just don't think it's at safety. My comfort level is pretty high with that particular group, provided LC stays healthy.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
They would have provided depth, though. Like you said in your other post, Collins is gone after his coming season. Perry and Williams are gone. Who does that leave at Safety?
No doubt, I'm not mitigating their losses as a whole, I'm just saying that losing them doesn't necessarily hurt us in the context of Vinnie possibly leaving early for the NFL Draft. In general does it? Absolutely, especially come 2015.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Yes. Not sure why I said Carter.
I agree missing on them hurt and our safety depth which was a huge plus coming into this year looks a little thin this coming year and razor thin the next year. We need to somehow flip or find another safety not committed in this class.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Has anyone heard anything about Jai Miller's development? He certainly looks the part, and would be a big, mature body (especially in run stopping situations) if he still has the speed, etc.
He had some special teams work and mop-up duty throughout the year. Big, strong kid, and he moves reasonably well too, though I'm hoping he slims down a bit this offseason.

I wouldn't count on him being a standout, but from a quality depth perspective I think he's an asset. With another year in the scheme, I imagine he would do well enough against most opponents, if the need arose.

matt632001

Jan 6, 2014
It has been happening more over the last year than I can remember since my arrival here long ago during our dark days under CMS. Not too many bandwagon fans in those days.

However, with our dynamic ascension to the top in recent years under CNS we've seen a bunch of bandwagoners and trolls trying to stir the pot come around.
So because someone is new to posting on an internet message board, then they are a "bandwagoner". I don't get it. Don't know if you are refering to me, but if being an Alabama fan for almost 30 years (yes, even in the CMS era) makes me a bandwagoner, then I guess I am. Is it wise to make assumptions about people based on the number of posts they've made with an anonymous username on a free internet message board?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I agree missing on them hurt and our safety depth which was a huge plus coming into this year looks a little thin this coming year and razor thin the next year. We need to somehow flip or find another safety not committed in this class.
I agree.
We're one injury to Landon Collins from having some issues at Safety...
depth has become a concern with the recent early departures.

...While the others we currently have are solid, they're definitly not in the 'elite' category.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
We should be fine for the 2014 season and could look to bring in a JUCO safety next year for the 2015 season.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We should be fine for the 2014 season and could look to bring in a JUCO safety next year for the 2015 season.
I'm also thinking Ronnie Clark will start out at safety now. Many have thought he would be a LB but with our depth issue I have a feeling he will be at safety.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.