RE: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA… (nope, UGA hires FSU's Jeremy Pruitt)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA...

RTO mentioned a few weeks ago Kirby's family is really close to Cochran's family. If he were to leave to be DC at UGA, would Cochran follow him? Would UGA get rid of their S&C coach to lure Kirby?

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA

RTO mentioned a few weeks ago Kirby's family is really close to Cochran's family. If he were to leave to be DC at UGA, would Cochran follow him? Would UGA get rid of their S&C coach to lure Kirby?
I can't imagine Kirby leaving for the same position on Richt's staff. But stranger things have happened. If he were to leave, who would be his replacement? While I think Steele could do a great job with the LBs, I just don't see him being as good of a DC as Kirby is now.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I dunno, he just signed a new contract less than a year ago. Not sure if he'll get yet another raise.

And honestly, we don't know that CNS wants to keep Smart around. Who knows how far Saban is taking the 'rebuild' - it could be that he's ready for some fresh blood there. *shrugs*
a new OC and DC in the same year is tough.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I don't see Cochran leaving just because they are friends. Bobo and Smart are friends, but that hasn't been enough to pull Kirby in the past. Cochran is tied to Saban. I think Richt would fire his S&C coach to get Cochran outright. I don't think Saban will allow that to happen.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I'm not sure about that. I'm a Vandy alum and live in Nashville. The new Chancellor (Zeppos came in after Gordon Gee) has pulled out the checkbook for the baseball coach and the basketball coach in ways that have never happened before. Rumor is they were willing to match the Penn State offer of $4M. Vanderbilt appears to have figured out that sports success equals national prominence. My 2 cents.
Yeah, it really does seem like David Williams, in particular, has committed to investing in the football program. I mean, they almost got Gus Malzahn last time, and hired James Franklin, an absolute home run hire. They might have gotten lucky. Who knows?
But, Williams does his homework. I am convinced that they are going to get a good coach. Now, whether the good coach can win 9 games next year or the year after, who knows.

And, about Kirby. I have now heard two people I respect say that he is going to Georgia, but neither one could say for certain. I can understand why he might want to go. It seems pretty clear to me that if he wants a legit FBS head coaching job, he is going to have to prove himself apart from Saban. If he had taken the Georgia job last time and was putting together top 10 defenses, I think his head coaching stock would be higher than it is now. But apart from Auburn interviewing him last year, he hasn't really gotten much interest from BCS-conference schools that I know of.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Talk about sky rocket careers! Pruitt shot up as fast as Malzahn did.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Re: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA… (nope, UGA hires FSU's Jeremy Pruitt)

Why does Pruitt do the lateral move to uga? He was due a raise this spring at fsu.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

He's went a long way since eating asparagus on MTV with Two-A-Days and hanging with the love God Rush Probst
Yes he has. I remember there was a Coach Propst but who is Probst???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Wow if Pruitt repeats what he did at FSU at GA he will be a head coach after the season.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

His fiance is from my hometown. Super sweet girl, huge FSU fan. I guess she will have to learn to love UGA now! This is a really good hire, IMO.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Why does Pruitt do the lateral move to uga? He was due a raise this spring at fsu.
get back to the SEC. Maybe losing a bunch of players, FSU won't be as good defensively and he's striking while the iron is hot for a new job. Either way, it's a bit of egg in the face for FSU; as national champs, your DC just took a lateral job. It's kind of like what'll get said about us and Nuss.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
RE: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA… (nope, UGA hires FSU's Jeremy Pruitt)

He's the former Hoover coach.
Yes I know. I'm a Hoover alum (class of '08) and I went there when the show was taking place. I just always find it strange how people intentionally misspell his name considering how well known of a coach he is in Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.