RE: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA… (nope, UGA hires FSU's Jeremy Pruitt)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
RE: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA… (nope, UGA hires FSU's Jeremy Pruitt)

I had to chuckle over this paragraph in a Towers article in the AJC:

"Of course, the one name Georgia fans throw out immediately is Kirby Smart. I’m pretty skeptical when it comes to the Alabama defensive coordinator. His UGA ties aside, I tend to look at these schools as Fortune 500 companies, and Smart is already working for one that has greater resources and opportunities overall. A more likely move for Smart at this point in his career would be as a head coach. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen or that Georgia shouldn’t try (I’m certain it will, or should). It just doesn’t seem likely to me."

Let's Roll Tide

1st Team
Sep 29, 2003
Denver, CO
Re: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA...

They are really counting on those "UGA ties" aren't they? Smart wants that top position at UGA but I don't think he is willing to make the lateral move so to speak. However if they put the "head coach in waiting" title on him it could get intriguing. I thought I heard Richt was only 54 though-he may not like that!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Who knows for certain that he's not already hciw here?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

They are really counting on those "UGA ties" aren't they? Smart wants that top position at UGA but I don't think he is willing to make the lateral move so to speak. However if they put the "head coach in waiting" title on him it could get intriguing. I thought I heard Richt was only 54 though-he may not like that!
He is actually 53 - turns 54 next month. Mack was 57 when Much-chump was named HCIW at Tejas. How'd that work out for them?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Why not Smart for Vandy HC? Perfect fit....:wink: Seriously though.
If Vandy is serious, that's who they should go after.....but I don't think Vandy really cares about football. They got lucky with Franklin and it will never happen again.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

If Vandy is serious, that's who they should go after.....but I don't think Vandy really cares about football. They got lucky with Franklin and it will never happen again.
And Vandy got lucky with the SEC east being down lately. No doubt Franklin is a good coach. But Vandy will not always win like that. So the person who takes over..is taking a risk.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

He's more likely to hurt himself at Vandy .... Get paid less, and lose more often.
CC, Certainly he would lose more often, but, like Franklin, he could start building a better resume. And if Vandy indeed offered Franklin what was reported, Kirby will not come close to taking a paycut.

If he shows out in Nashville against SEC competition, the Vandy job could be a fine first step toward a return to Tuscaloosa.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I agree Derek and I also agree with Tide Mom that it was the perfect storm for Franklin. While they were better, the SEC East has sucked the past two years. I said before that Smart going to Vanderbilt would be akin to him go to Miss State, both dead end jobs and possibly career killers.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia

He's already turned them down one time. Hope he does it again. I'm hearing the salary being offered at $1.5 million, though.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

If Georgia were looking for a head coach, then I would be worried about Smart leaving. He'd probably the the leading candidate. But he isn't going to leave Bama to be the Georgia DC. We have been down this road already as Stonwall said.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Dont they (all assistants) get a raise in March?

you know CNS got them something.
I dunno, he just signed a new contract less than a year ago. Not sure if he'll get yet another raise.

And honestly, we don't know that CNS wants to keep Smart around. Who knows how far Saban is taking the 'rebuild' - it could be that he's ready for some fresh blood there. *shrugs*

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011

I agree Derek and I also agree with Tide Mom that it was the perfect storm for Franklin. While they were better, the SEC East has sucked the past two years. I said before that Smart going to Vanderbilt would be akin to him go to Miss State, both dead end jobs and possibly career killers.
I'm not sure about that. I'm a Vandy alum and live in Nashville. The new Chancellor (Zeppos came in after Gordon Gee) has pulled out the checkbook for the baseball coach and the basketball coach in ways that have never happened before. Rumor is they were willing to match the Penn State offer of $4M. Vanderbilt appears to have figured out that sports success equals national prominence. My 2 cents.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

my guess is that kirby wouldn't be too excited about his defense wasting time on swimming parties during richt's summer half-a-days

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

The pluses for Kirby are - 1) back "home", 2) He wouldn't have Saban meddling in his defense. He would be on his own to do as he pleased since Richt is an offensive minded coach.

The negatives for Kirby are - 1) Lateral move; 2) Lack of discipline from Richt

Apparently, his wife loves T'town. I'm sure she would love to be back in Athens again as well.

I think it's going to come down to a flip of a coin.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia

Word in SW Georgia is that he is taking the UGA job. Friend of a friend type news, no links.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.