RE: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA… (nope, UGA hires FSU's Jeremy Pruitt)

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA… (nope, UGA hires FSU's Jeremy Pruitt)

I actually think this was a huge hire for UGA. There is more buzz about UGA right that I've seen in a long time. I think Pruitt is a good DC with potential to be really good. As bad as I hate to say it, I think he'll end up keeping some of those big GA recruits at home that they've been losing for a while.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Over / Under on the number of minutes before the Kirby Smart-to-FSU rumors start?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Over / Under on the number of minutes before the Kirby Smart-to-FSU rumors start?
Never.. Pruitt left because they weren't willing to pony up more money. They are very tight with the purse strings when it comes to the asst coaches at FSU.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

I think CJP is a good coach and a good recruiter, just don't expect any loyalty from him if he thinks something a little better comes along.

For a group that needed a shakeup I think he'll be a positive for UGA, but I think UGA fans should take a second and realize this is a guy who is taking a lateral move for more money. It's significantly more money, but that's the guy you're getting. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just don't want to hear any crying when someone does it and he takes his next job (and probably 5 recruits with him)
If F$U is not going to pay him and they weren't, I can't blame him for leaving. I'm not sure what the story is at F$U, but they don't appear to have deep pockets. Pruitt got a $350,000 raise by going to Georgia. Also, I think there is more to the situation with Pruitt. Athens is a lot closer to Alabama than Tallahassee and that put's him closer to his son and family.

If Kirby Smart leaves Alabama while Saban is our coach I will bet CNS's first phone call will be to Pruitt. Alabama is home and I think there is a better than average chance Pruitt will take the job as DC if it's offered to him.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

If Kirby Smart leaves Alabama while Saban is our coach I will bet CNS's first phone call will be to Pruitt. Alabama is home and I think there is a better than average chance Pruitt will take the job as DC if it's offered to him.

I highly, highly, highly doubt this would EVER be the case. Gene Chizik has a better shot at becoming our DC then JP...

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA

Never.. Pruitt left because they weren't willing to pony up more money. They are very tight with the purse strings when it comes to the asst coaches at FSU.
500,000 Dollars is pretty good money. Mark Stoops left him a good Defense, let's see what he does with a rebuild job.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA

500,000 Dollars is pretty good money. Mark Stoops left him a good Defense, let's see what he does with a rebuild job.
I would not consider UGA a rebuild job. There is a lot of talent there that was not developed. There's definitely some teaching to do, but the parts he has to build with are pretty good.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.

IMO....it's hard to gauge how good of a DC Pruitt is. He's only had the position for one season and he was coaching against the ACC and FBS schools. On the flip side, he's an excellent recruiter.

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA

IMO....it's hard to gauge how good of a DC Pruitt is. He's only had the position for one season and he was coaching against the ACC and FBS schools. On the flip side, he's an excellent recruiter.
That was my point and I agree with bamaslaw that he is going to a talented team. Maybe I should of stated a different challenge instead of rebuilding a Defense.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Dubose had considerably more experience, jus' sayin'... :D

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: Kirby Smart and the tug of UGA...

He's more likely to hurt himself at Vandy .... Get paid less, and lose more often.
There's no way to know that unless you're Nostradamus. Plus, I'm pretty sure that job pays quite a bit more than his current.

It would take some guts maybe, but I think he would be an excellent choice.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

I highly, highly, highly doubt this would EVER be the case. Gene Chizik has a better shot at becoming our DC then JP...
You would not be the first person to say this. There are some of those never and highly doubtful coaches on our staff right now.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

You would not be the first person to say this. There are some of those never and highly doubtful coaches on our staff right now.
I would think that the rehiring of Lance Thompson and the hiring of Lane Kiffin have pretty much eliminated the ability to ever say, "________ will never coach at Alabama under Saban."

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I think CJP is a good coach and a good recruiter, just don't expect any loyalty from him if he thinks something a little better comes along.

For a group that needed a shakeup I think he'll be a positive for UGA, but I think UGA fans should take a second and realize this is a guy who is taking a lateral move for more money. It's significantly more money, but that's the guy you're getting. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I just don't want to hear any crying when someone does it and he takes his next job (and probably 5 recruits with him)
Was he trying to really say something when he said that "Gawga" was the best school in the SEC or something to that effect. I guess he had "Gawga" on his mind like Ray Charles.

P. S. He needs to take a couple of English grammar classes at "Gawga" if he plans to become a head coach and not embarrass whatever school that would be.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

He coached a defense full of NFL talent against a schedule made up of inferior talent. I was surprised by the hire because he hasn't had much time to really establish himself as a DC.
Alabama also had a defense full of NFL talent also while he was here. Yes the ACC is weaker but it is still hard to lead the nation in EVERY defensive category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Alabama also had a defense full of NFL talent also while he was here. Yes the ACC is weaker but it is still hard to lead the nation in EVERY defensive category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**I will take an objective stance in this post**

That is a little bit of a phantom stat, on JP's part though.. The reason I say that is FSU finished #1 it Total Defense and #3 in scoring defense in 2012. JP finished #3 in Total defense, and #1 in scoring defense. There isn't THAT big a difference from what Stoops did. It's also not like he had to come in a do anything different, just not screw things up. He's going to be asked to make the UGA defense better, and I think that's why this is such a surprise.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.