Link: CBS, Tim Brando Parting Ways After 18 Years Together

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Brando graduated from ULM so you know he probably had multiple orgasms when ULM upset Bama Saban's first year. My guess he's an LSU homer who couldn't get in to LSU so his distain for Saban is that much greater.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Anymore info on this? They fire him or just not renew his contract?
Contract wasn't renewed. Outright firings in broadcasting at that level is pretty unusual, barring some really egregious misstep -- publicized arrests, lawsuits, affairs, etc. -- just because no one wants to pay big money for a talking head to shut up.

His radio show simulcast was punted off of the CBS Sports TV channel a few weeks back, essentially due to the lack of national appeal for Brando and his inability to connect on sports outside of CFB and CBB. As it turns out, obviously CBS was more disenchanted with him than that, even within his supposed core audience.

Don't know how this will turn out, but we could see a big changing of the broadcast guard shortly, with Musburger and Verne being so old and retirement imminent. Obviously CBS didn't like the lead announcer-in-waiting tag for Brando -- thank God -- but there really aren't any clear successors at this juncture. Nessler is probably the odds-on favorite for ABC/ESPN, but at CBS a guy like Spero Dedes is probably the in-house favorite, or perhaps Andrew Catalon. They may very well end up just spending a ton of money on Gus Johnson, though he rubs a lot of people the wrong with that his over-the-top style, or handing the reigns down to a guy like Nance. All in all, it's pretty unsettled at the moment, and no one really has much of an idea who will be calling the big games four or five years from now.

Last edited:

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Brando graduated from ULM so you know he probably had multiple orgasms when ULM upset Bama Saban's first year. My guess he's an LSU homer who couldn't get in to LSU so his distain for Saban is that much greater.
He used to do radio for my high school in Monroe. Since his base is Shreveport, he plays up to the LSU crowd which at the moment has Bama as public enemy #1. I think he is really more of an Ole Miss homer.

Not sure on his orgasm count when ULM beat Bama though.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He used to do radio for my high school in Monroe. Since his base is Shreveport, he plays up to the LSU crowd which at the moment has Bama as public enemy #1. I think he is really more of an Ole Miss homer.

Not sure on his orgasm count when ULM beat Bama though.
Yep, after Ole Miss beat LSU this season the following Monday he went on a tirade toward the LSU fans to "get over it and accept it". That college football had changed and these teams LSU had gotten used to beating year and year out now have enough good talent to beat them. That it is just arrogance and pride for them to say otherwise.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It always amuses me how he tries to tell everyone how unbiased he is, and then goes on his tirades. I will not miss him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yep, after Ole Miss beat LSU this season the following Monday he went on a tirade toward the LSU fans to "get over it and accept it". That college football had changed and these teams LSU had gotten used to beating year and year out now have enough good talent to beat them. That it is just arrogance and pride for them to say otherwise.
Well, with one daughter at LSU and the other at OM, I guess he can play both sides... :D

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Well, with one daughter at LSU and the other at OM, I guess he can play both sides... :D
He got some major backlash in Louisiana but that's what he wanted. He all of a sudden was a guest on our local sports talk radio shortly after LSU's debacle against Ole Miss. He also went on several local shows down south LA as well. He's alright to your face/in person. I see him around some restaurants in Shreveport from time to time. He'll never say to a fans face what he says on tv or the radio.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I've never seen anyone, even Howard Cossell, that loves the sound of his own voice as much as Timmy B. He can take a simple question and stretch it out to near War and Peace territory.

He sure won't be an asset to the SEC Network.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I've never seen anyone, even Howard Cossell, that loves the sound of his own voice as much as Timmy B. He can take a simple question and stretch it out to near War and Peace territory.

He sure won't be an asset to the SEC Network.
His radio show model proves that. My god he can belabor a topic to the point of having suicidal tendencies.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
​Not a fan of Brando but I do wish him well. Can he take Gary Danielson with him? There is not enough air time for both of them doing a game.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I listened to Brando on the way to work this morning on Sirius and he talked a lot about this. His main point was that his and CBS's idea of what his professional ceiling were different. (Disclaimer - I listen, watch and read all I can about college football and I am no fan of Brando...just college football) But I agree with a previous post about Verne. IMO he does a good, and unbiased job. As for Gary, yes he does talk a lot but he knows what he is talking about. As far as I am concerned that team is the best in the business right now.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The problem with Brando is, quite frankly, the problem with Finebaum (and I don't mean alopecia).

He is probably a good enough fella (I follow him on Twitter) but he really seems to have a sore spot for Alabama, despite his disclaimers. Archie Manning is the same way. I realize there are some fans we have who think ANY criticism (even legit) of our team is inherently biased, but I'm not that way. Problem is that Brando wants to make sure you know he's "against" Alabama.

He has said plenty of nice things about Saban, including touting him as the greatest coach in the game today after the SECCG. But things like the focus on Quinton Dial bring out the worst in the guy. I also think - and this is my personal opinion - that he is more studio analyst than announcer. There is a noticeable lowering of quality from VL and GD to Brando. It's not all his fault - some folks aren't cut out to be certain things.

I, for one, am glad he's not the go-to guy when Verne kicks the bucket. And be honest - a lot of you who complain about that little ole man are gonna miss him when he's gone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.