Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving

How can a guy who has worked himself up to third string QB on a team who's starter is graduating by which positioning himself to be at worst second string qb have the mindset of "He'd never play"? There's no way. At the end of the season he was third string. Meaning going into this season he would be competing with Sims for the starting job. Because from all indications the other players behind him weren't ready to play.
Saban doesn't go by the depth chart for QB's. AJ was redshirted and CNS said he would have been first QB in game had Greg gone down. Just like Blake Sims is second string this year doesn't mean he gets the starting QB job for next year. Seems like the QB depth chart is a lot more fluid than the other positions.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I really have no clue who will start and do not claim to have any inside information. It has always appeared that the depth chart is generally just semantics. When AJ was redshirted CNS said he would have been the first QB in game if Greg had gone down. Just like Blake Sims is "second string" this year but doesn't necessarily mean he will start next year, and probably won't.
I just don't think that Del Rio was a paper third stringer that really meant the guys behind him were better. Especially seeing that the things that had slipped out indicated that Bateman and Morris were struggling. Where as in 2009 there were no reports of AJ "struggling" behind Star Jackson.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Saban doesn't go by the depth chart for QB's. AJ was redshirted and CNS said he would have been first QB in game had Greg gone down. Just like Blake Sims is second string this year doesn't mean he gets the starting QB job for next year. Seems like the QB depth chart is a lot more fluid than the other positions.
Then if that applies to this situation I hope the reports that Bateman and Morris are struggling to pick up the offense aren't true. Because if they are then we better hope to god Coker comes or Sims is a helluva lot better than what he's showed or we're going to be in for a long 2014 season.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

just heard from lugs that coker doesn't have to sit for a year? why?
Look one post above yours.

Even if Coker does come over it doesn't mean he picks up our offense, etc. so it just makes me scratch my head as to why Del Rio would leave unless he is just unhappy this far from home? I know he is familiar with the South since Del Rio was in Jacksonville. Anyone who thinks he had no shot at starting next year needs to read up;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Then if that applies to this situation I hope the reports that Bateman and Morris are struggling to pick up the offense aren't true. Because if they are then we better hope to god Coker comes or Sims is a helluva lot better than what he's showed or we're going to be in for a long 2014 season.
I completely agree. I just don't think we would let our potentially second best QB on the roster leave the team. If CNS really thought Del Rio had a legitimate chance to start for us there is no way, IMO, that he would leave. Hopefully some of the other ones are progressing better than has been reported or there are reinforcements coming in that we are counting on. Either way we have an unsettling proposition at the QB position next year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I completely agree. I just don't think we would let our potentially second best QB on the roster leave the team. If CNS really thought Del Rio had a legitimate chance to start for us there is no way, IMO, that he would leave. Hopefully some of the other ones are progressing better than has been reported or there are reinforcements coming in that we are counting on. Either way we have an unsettling proposition at the QB position next year.
I wonder if the hiring of Kiffin had anything to do with it? I'm sure the players are aware of what many people think about Kiffin. I wonder what Jack Del Rio's opinion was after the Kiffin hire? Absolute pure speculation but this move is a bit odd.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Wow this is disappointing. I probably would have based this decision after going through spring practice. There must be some development that caused him to go ahead and make this decision now.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

He's going to Oregon State to play with Mike Riley. Those NFL connections run deep.

I heard he was by far the smartest of the all the QBs. He may not have been as physically gifted as some, but we neither was McElroy and he did ok at Alabama.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

He's going to Oregon State to play with Mike Riley. Those NFL connections run deep.

I heard he was by far the smartest of the all the QBs. He may not have been as physically gifted as some, but we neither was McElroy and he did ok at Alabama.
Something doesn't pass the smell test here. IMO, he had a legit shot at starting now he transfers and has to sit out a full year of football.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I wonder if the hiring of Kiffin had anything to do with it? I'm sure the players are aware of what many people think about Kiffin. I wonder what Jack Del Rio's opinion was after the Kiffin hire? Absolute pure speculation but this move is a bit odd.
I was wondering the same thing. Jack Del Rio did play for USCw, didn't he? Is there some reason he did not like Kiffen as head coach at USCw or UTe or Oakland or USCw when Kiffen was OC?

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.

To say we are in trouble at QB just because of this is quite presumptuous. We have 4 and 5 stars all over the roster, great coaching and the best training in CF. I also think that all of the talk that this or that team, including Bama will be down because of breaking in a new QB may or may not be accurate. Look at the last few years of BSC champs and how many years has a first time starter won the biggest game of the year? AJ, Scam, Winston... We have great prospects, great coaching and the best supporting cast in football. Everyone Relax a bit.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

So, are we going into Spring practice looking for a Game Manager at QB?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

To say we are in trouble at QB just because of this is quite presumptuous. We have 4 and 5 stars all over the roster, great coaching and the best training in CF. I also think that all of the talk that this or that team, including Bama will be down because of breaking in a new QB may or may not be accurate. Look at the last few years of BSC champs and how many years has a first time starter won the biggest game of the year? AJ, Scam, Winston... We have great prospects, great coaching and the best supporting cast in football. Everyone Relax a bit.

What are we to do now? We only have 9 quarterbacks to compete for the job. ;)

But I agree, no need to panic. I was looking forward to seeing if he won the job, but we still have a lot of talent.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Once the players get on campus and on the field those stars don't mean anything anymore. Unless the information we've been hearing is wrong, the 4 and 5 stars we've got at QB aren't catching onto the offense so a walk on passed all of them. Granted, there is time for development but it is not a given.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Once the players get on campus and on the field those stars don't mean anything anymore. Unless the information we've been hearing is wrong, the 4 and 5 stars we've got at QB aren't catching onto the offense so a walk on passed all of them. Granted, there is time for development but it is not a given.
That kind of all goes out the window with a new coordinator and a new offense.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.