Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving

with a new OC, you can throw most of the "depth chart" talk out....

Kiffin could make the light come on for Morris, Bateman, and Sims...1/3, 2/3 or 0/3. The fact is, someone has to step up....with or w/o Del Rio in the mix.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

with a new OC, you can throw most of the "depth chart" talk out....

Kiffin could make the light come on for Morris, Bateman, and Sims...1/3, 2/3 or 0/3. The fact is, someone has to step up....with or w/o Del Rio in the mix.
Let's hope he does...Obviously a light was turned off in Del Rio's mind.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Apparently Coker doesn't graduate til May, so, assuming he transfers, he won't be on campus in the Spring...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Wow! Step away from the board for a few hours and we either hire a coach or find out a player is transferring. It's quite the roller coster these days!

I know it's against the odds, but David Cornwell's shot to play just probably went up, especially if Coker doesn't come in.

Hopefully LK's template for an uptempo offense allows one of the current guys on the roster to suddenly "get it" if it is true that some of them were struggling otherwise under Nuss.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The only way this makes good sense is if Del Rio was told that he would not play next year, period. And that does make some sense, because if Del Rio did play, he would count against the scholarship limit. If Del Rio didn't play at all next season, he would then become a redshirt sophomore that didn't count at all against the limit. So, it's possible that he was told it was unlikely that he played, or simply that the numbers wouldn't work out.

This is pretty confusing, considering he was third string, and looked like he had a good shot to compete for the starting job. I expected one or two of the QBs lower on the depth chart to transfer, but I've seen it mentioned that one QB lower on the depth chart knows that they had little chance to start at the FBS level, so it's hypothetically possible that the refusal of another QB to transfer forced Del Rio's transfer. He might just have hated the type of offense Kiffin was going to install, though...

What I'm hoping though, is that this was done to pave the way for Coker to come in. Coker wanted assurances he was going to start apparently, and while this isn't quite that, the first and third string QB leaving really gives him a great shot. It goes without saying though, that we have to hope someone else lower on the depth chart steps things up and develops, because depth at the position is important and Coker will be a junior.

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

I am surprised to see this. I really expected Morris or Bateman to be the first to leave. Morris due to limited time left for him to start somewhere, Bateman because he is from so far away. I thought one of those two would leave, and Del Rio would be awarded their scholly. Tough to see him go, but I do respect his decision. We do have a bit of a log jam at quarterback, whether or not it's because of quality is debatable, but we do have an impressive number of quarterbacks still fighting for the position.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Mods, can we please have a sticky that states Jacob Coker won't have to sit out a year if he transfers and explain why? The question gets asked every time.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

A few things here...
First of all, we all think of these players as football players only. There could be many non-football reasons he would want to transfer. This might have nothing to do with Lane Kiffin or the depth chart.
Secondly, having said that, I have a really hard time believing he would transfer out if he believed he had a legitimate shot at being our starting QB next year. Part of me wonders if he has reason to believe that our offense next year will not play to his strengths.
And, it is very possible that, while we hear snippets of info (him moving past so and so on the depth chart, etc.), we do not have the context. That might have been a short-term thing. Or, maybe he was third in line to play, but others were playing better. I mean, we never actually got to the point of him playing. So, if AJ went down, then Blake went down, we're not actually sure he would be next in line.

I still have no worries about our QB position next year. That doesn't mean I don't have questions, but given the quantity of good players at the position combined with Saban's history, I can't help but think we're going to be okay even if our third string walk-on transferred. (I don't mean that as a knock on him. Just trying to put this in context.)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The only way this makes good sense is if Del Rio was told that he would not play next year, period. And that does make some sense, because if Del Rio did play, he would count against the scholarship limit. If Del Rio didn't play at all next season, he would then become a redshirt sophomore that didn't count at all against the limit. So, it's possible that he was told it was unlikely that he played, or simply that the numbers wouldn't work out.

This is pretty confusing, considering he was third string, and looked like he had a good shot to compete for the starting job. I expected one or two of the QBs lower on the depth chart to transfer, but I've seen it mentioned that one QB lower on the depth chart knows that they had little chance to start at the FBS level, so it's hypothetically possible that the refusal of another QB to transfer forced Del Rio's transfer. He might just have hated the type of offense Kiffin was going to install, though...

What I'm hoping though, is that this was done to pave the way for Coker to come in. Coker wanted assurances he was going to start apparently, and while this isn't quite that, the first and third string QB leaving really gives him a great shot. It goes without saying though, that we have to hope someone else lower on the depth chart steps things up and develops, because depth at the position is important and Coker will be a junior.
You may be right, but I hope you are wrong...especially the part about Coker getting assured he'd start.

This just flies in the face of the way CNS seems to do things. More talented players sit behind less talented players on his teams every year because they do it the way he wants it done NOT because they got promised a spot.

This (situation with LDR transferring) doesn't past the smell test!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Not surprised in someone transferring, but I am surprised it was LDR. Though I was also inthe camp that it was Sims job to lose, even in that case he was battling for backup at the worst...which to means he is a snap away from playing at any time.

I will say that we may not be finished with people transferring (at the QB position). It would not surprise me to see someone else leave.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

The circumstances and timing of this have got to be more than coincidental. My bet is that it has something to do with the transition at OC. Doesn't sound like there's any animosity involved. Just gotta move on. Bama football will be fine and hopefully LDR will find success at OSU.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

If Luke does go to Oregon State, he won't be the starter next year anyway, so it doesn't matter if he had to sit out a year or not. Mannion is coming back at Oregon St and he's a great QB. OSU was in Luke's final 3 last year, and most people thought he would go there for a while. He has a great relationship with Mike Riley for quite a while. When Mannion graduates next year, LDR has a pretty clear path to start, because he'll likely be the best QB on their roster.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta

If I had to bet, I would think that Bateman makes a strong push with Kiffin as OC.
This is what I was thinking and I am glad someone else said it. Bateman is a tall, lanky kid who can make most any throw and is talented. I figured he would win the starting job next year when all was said and done. I think Del Rio picked up the offense quicker this year, leading him to become the number 3. If absolutely necessary, he could have been plugged in as a game manager, but that never came to pass. That is just what I took from the statements made.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Not surprised in someone transferring, but I am surprised it was LDR. Though I was also inthe camp that it was Sims job to lose, even in that case he was battling for backup at the worst...which to means he is a snap away from playing at any time.

I will say that we may not be finished with people transferring (at the QB position). It would not surprise me to see someone else leave.
Yep, especially if Coker transfers.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I am in the bus that thinks this had more to do with the OC than playing time. He liked Nuss. He came here because of Nuss. I would guess there might be some bad blood between the Kiffins and Del Rio's.
I wouldn't doubt he ends up at Colorado St. with CJM. His dad is still there with the Broncos...I think. Imagine what coach Mac could do with Luke. I don't really see Luke following Nuss to Michigan.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Well anything can happen between now and Sept. and no one should be 'jumping off a cliff' but don't kid yourself that this is anything but really bad for our QB situation. LDR was going to 100% win the Job I felt and this is a stunning development.

Blake Sims just isn't going to cut it as a passing QB, Bateman and Morris are having mental/speed of the college game problems, McCleod doesn't have upper tier D1 QB talent, and IF Coker comes he can't even really practice until Aug. Oh and Cornwell is coming off surgery and missing and whole season of play so he's rehabbing and rusty.

This is bad news...very bad news. We better find a dominate running game and defense again in a hurry or it's gonna be a rough 2014 record wise compared to recent standards.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I am in the bus that thinks this had more to do with the OC than playing time. He liked Nuss. He came here because of Nuss. I would guess there might be some bad blood between the Kiffins and Del Rio's.
I wouldn't doubt he ends up at Colorado St. with CJM. His dad is still there with the Broncos...I think. Imagine what coach Mac could do with Luke. I don't really see Luke following Nuss to Michigan.
Im pretty sure his going to Oregon State is and has been a done deal for a little while now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

This is the first thing that I have read this off season about Alabama that has me worried about next season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.