Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving

Well anything can happen between now and Sept. and no one should be 'jumping off a cliff' but don't kid yourself that this is anything but really bad for our QB situation. LDR was going to 100% win the Job I felt and this is a stunning development.

Blake Sims just isn't going to cut it as a passing QB, Bateman and Morris are having mental/speed of the college game problems, McCleod doesn't have upper tier D1 QB talent, and IF Coker comes he can't even really practice until Aug. Oh and Cornwell is coming off surgery and missing and whole season of play so he's rehabbing and rusty.

This is bad news...very bad news. We better find a dominate running game and defense again in a hurry or it's gonna be a rough 2014 record wise compared to recent standards.
Don't take this the wrong way, but unless you have access to the program behind the scenes you are just repeating what anybody can read on a message board in this post.

Besides, the offense will change with LK so, as already has been stated, most of the "what's been reported about the qbs" can be thrown out. Spring will be a reset for all.

Now, if you do have access behinds the scenes you need to post more often and I take back everything I just said. ;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

So does LDR stay at Bama through this semester since classes have already started?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This is the first thing that I have read this off season about Alabama that has me worried about next season.
For me, it was the Vinnie transfer. But... next season is increasingly likely to be a rebuilding year, and part of rebuilding is shaking things up.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

CNS could probably have prevented this by offering a scholarship, as a test of seriousness. So consider the information CNS is sitting on, that he has seen Del Rio for a year, seen him develop, he knows the parents, he knows the other QBs, he is tracking the Coker deal, and on balance chooses not to offer a scholarship. Good enough for me.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Well anything can happen between now and Sept. and no one should be 'jumping off a cliff' but don't kid yourself that this is anything but really bad for our QB situation. LDR was going to 100% win the Job I felt and this is a stunning development.

Blake Sims just isn't going to cut it as a passing QB, Bateman and Morris are having mental/speed of the college game problems, McCleod doesn't have upper tier D1 QB talent, and IF Coker comes he can't even really practice until Aug. Oh and Cornwell is coming off surgery and missing and whole season of play so he's rehabbing and rusty.

This is bad news...very bad news. We better find a dominate running game and defense again in a hurry or it's gonna be a rough 2014 record wise compared to recent standards.

Thanks Coach Saban, glad you could stop in to let us know the program is falling apart!

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Thanks Coach Saban, glad you could stop in to let us know the program is falling apart!
This is not blue font: Returning talent aside, how can any Alabama fan not have far more questions about the quarterback situation next year?

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009

I though that I read on this board last week That Coker had been granted a release from FSU. Anyone remember that?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This is not blue font: Returning talent aside, how can any Alabama fan not have far more questions about the quarterback situation next year?
I have heard a steady stream of people saying no way Blake Sims is going to be starter next year. Heck, I've heard a steady stream of people claim no way that he was going to be #2 this past season. They've been relentless. It was going to be Ely, it wasn't Ely. It was going to be Morris, it wasn't Morris. Now, clearly it was going to be Del Rio, wait... it has to be crushing to be so consistently wrong.

This much is clear. If Del Rio knew he was likely to start next year, he doesn't transfer. May be it is Blake Sims, may be he keeps beating out the competition for good reason, may be biased Alabama fans just have to accept that. Or, perhaps Coker is going to come in and start. I don't know, I've never pretended to know, but, I do know that Alabama still has the #2 QB from last year returning, and perhaps the #2 QB from FSU arriving as well. If and when we get verification that Coker will transfer, I won't waste any more time worrying about why Del Rio left.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

There were plenty and with this development now there are even more.

Where is 'Sip, our resident sunshine pumper???

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Its a shame that Luke Del Rio is transferring. He has potential.

Thinking back to last years 'A day game', I rated:
McCarron as best performance
Morris as #2
Del Rio as # 3
and Sims as #4

I'm pretty sure I'll get an argument, but that was my assessment.
I don't know how much of our Offense Morris has learned, but he looked real good that day.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the guys look like this year.
It's just a shame that Luke has chosen to 'Opt Out' of this years competition. :(

Hope Lane Kiffen says something and 'makes the lights come on' for a couple of our guys.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I wonder if the hiring of Kiffin had anything to do with it? I'm sure the players are aware of what many people think about Kiffin. I wonder what Jack Del Rio's opinion was after the Kiffin hire? Absolute pure speculation but this move is a bit odd.
For whatever reason, I'd speculate that this had EVERYTHING to do with it. Remember, Dad was an All-American at USC, and was mentioned as a possible successor to Kiffin. I don't know for sure but there may indeed be a lack of respect somewhere in this riddle. sip

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

Umm...you do remember us winning a BCSNC in 2009 with Greg McElroy right? First year starter? Not that great of an arm? Literally a game manager in every aspect of the phrase (no offense to him, I love GMc)? I'm not worrie about QB because we have a guy in Blake Sims who was been here for a long time. If he starts, I am FULLY supportive of his capabilities to lead us. We possibly have a guy in Jacob Coker transferring in, whoc in all regards COULD have won the starting battle at FSU...but there was NO WAY Fisher wasn't starting Winston (by the way, FSU's offense is similar enough to ours that Coker could come in during August and be okay to go). We also have a strong armed Texas kid name Alec Morris, who I think we could surround with enough talent that he would have no problem winning games...not to mention Cooper Bateman, who will make strides this year I am sure. So forgive me for not feeling like the sky is falling, but if our hopes were hedged on a kid who wasn't offered a scholly last year to come in and start we have much bigger problems, and weren't going to compete this year anyways..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I have heard a steady stream of people saying no way Blake Sims is going to be starter next year. Heck, I've heard a steady stream of people claim no way that he was going to be #2 this past season. They've been relentless. It was going to be Ely, it wasn't Ely. It was going to be Morris, it wasn't Morris. Now, clearly it was going to be Del Rio, wait... it has to be crushing to be so consistently wrong.

This much is clear. If Del Rio knew he was likely to start next year, he doesn't transfer. May be it is Blake Sims, may be he keeps beating out the competition for good reason, may be biased Alabama fans just have to accept that. Or, perhaps Coker is going to come in and start. I don't know, I've never pretended to know, but, I do know that Alabama still has the #2 QB from last year returning, and perhaps the #2 QB from FSU arriving as well. If and when we get verification that Coker will transfer, I won't waste any more time worrying about why Del Rio left.
You sound as though you believe Sims will inherit the job just becasue he was #2 last year.

You may end up being right (that Sims wins the job and more power to him if he does).

Where I disagree is that whoever starts next fall will earn it on the field this spring or summer (if he's already in school) or next fall when he arrives.

I think the next time CNS promises a starting position to a player will be the first.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Also, Del Rio was rumored to be transferring before CLK was hired.
Yep. This has nothing to do with Kiffin, not sure if it has anything to do with Nuss.

I told my brother LDR would be the starter when Kiffin was announced. I figured his dad and his available resources (Peyton and George Whitfield) would help him develop more as a QB.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Can't say this comes as any real surprise. Del Rio did good things in his short time in Tuscaloosa, but we did not have a scholarship available for him and I think he knew that he was not going to ultimately be tabbed the starter.

We'll see how it plays out, and it's really a discussion that goes beyond the purview of this development, but in all likelihood, unless Coker transfers in, this will effectively be a battle between Blake Sims and Alec Morris for the 2014 starting job. Cooper Bateman did make some progress throughout the fall, but the gap between he and Sims/Morris seems to be relatively substantial. He might have an outside shot at this, but frankly he's really going to have to come on hard this spring and summer to have a realistic chance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.