Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving

Can't say this comes as any real surprise. Del Rio did good things in his short time in Tuscaloosa, but we did not have a scholarship available for him and I think he knew that he was not going to ultimately be tabbed the starter.

We'll see how it plays out, and it's really a discussion that goes beyond the purview of this development, but in all likelihood, unless Coker transfers in, this will effectively be a battle between Blake Sims and Alec Morris for the 2014 starting job. Cooper Bateman did make some progress throughout the fall, but the gap between he and Sims/Morris seems to be relatively substantial. He might have an outside shot at this, but frankly he's really going to have to come on hard this spring and summer to have a realistic chance.
So D. Cornwell won't have any shot? True freshmen winning unlikely I know but I figure he'll at least have a chance.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

So D. Cornwell won't have any shot? True freshmen winning unlikely I know but I figure he'll at least have a chance.
A chance? Sure. But a very small one at best. While Cornwell has great upside and could eventually be our starter in 2015 and beyond, if a true freshman coming off a major knee injury comes in immediately and gets the starting job, that's likely going to be a very bad sign for our overall prospects in 2014.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009

This is the first thing that I have read this off season about Alabama that has me worried about next season.
Have to strongly disagree - LK actually has a better track record developing QB's (especially ones less talented than what Bama has on roster now and incoming) than Nuss has; it's not like there isn't talent at that position. I will worry more about both lines, LB's and corners than I will the QB spot.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Without inside knowledge it's all speculation as to the why and wherefores of Del Rio leaving. If I had to make a WAG I'd think the Kiffin hire had something to do with it consdiering his father's a former USC player. Maybe there's some bad blood that makes him think he wouldn't want to be coached by Kiffin.

Whatever the reason, even though he was a walk-on, I thought he'd had as good a shot as any QB to become the starter. We still have a lot of QB talent with more on the way so I still feel very confident we'll end up with a quality QB next season. You never know when the light will come on for a player.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

You sound as though you believe Sims will inherit the job just becasue he was #2 last year.
Absolutely not. I, however have always asserted his abilities and have been in strong opposition to the people who consistently think someone else is about to surpass him. If Coker comes in, I think he probably does start, but if not? It probably will be Sims, and not because he inherited it, because he beat out Ely, Morris, and Del Rio.

Last edited:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

Just because CNS said Sims wouldn't necessarily be the starter next year doesn't mean that LDR would be.
All this fretting over what possibly MIGHT have been is hard to understand.
LDR seems to be a great kid, and I really wish him well, but to act as though we are losing an accomplished starter instead of a walk-on that has never played a down is perplexing to me.

CNS has said the starter for next year was unknown and not guaranteed to anyone. Now with a change in OC and a different offense, the "favorite" to win the job may take a different skill set and mental make up.

With one less QB in spring practice, the others will get more reps learning a new offense. That's a positive.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Absolutely no. I, however have always asserted his abilities and have been in strong opposition to the people who consistently think someone else is about to surpass him. If Coker comes in, I think he probably does start, but if not? It probably will be Sims, and not because he inherited it, because he beat out Ely, Morris, and Del Rio.
If Ely wins the job we are in serious trouble for sure seeing he'd have to transfer back to do so.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/29/alabama-phillip-ely-transfer-toledo/

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

I think the "panic" is simply because you can't win big without a competent QB, and losing one some thought may win the job, especially with his pedigree makes fans anxious. Having said that, the games I went to and watch Del Rio in warmups; his arm was average and he had a long, funny release. I had a hard time imagining him to be the starter one day. Wish him the best, don't think he would be going if staff begged him to stay.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

If Ely wins the job we are in serious trouble for sure seeing he'd have to transfer back to do so.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/29/alabama-phillip-ely-transfer-toledo/
You realize Krazy was meaning folks kept saying Ely was going to be the #2 guy prior to his transfer, right?

in all likelihood, unless Coker transfers in, this will effectively be a battle between Blake Sims and Alec Morris for the 2014 starting job.
That's where Saban and Kiffin will have to decide if they want to prepare for the future (Morris) or go with an athletic guy who can improvise when necessary.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

You realize Krazy was meaning folks kept saying Ely was going to be the #2 guy prior to his transfer, right?

That's where Saban and Kiffin will have to decide if they want to prepare for the future (Morris) or go with an athletic guy who can improvise when necessary.
I know he's coming off injury (but he's ahead of schedule and will compete in spring practice) and he'll be a TF but I've got a feeling David Cornwell may get a look too.

RTR91, no I didn't but if you read his last statement about it he refers to Ely as if he's on the roster right now. But in his original post about it, I can see where Krazy might have been using him as an example. even though Ely's no longer here.

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

Does Brandon Avalos have any eligibility left?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

Relax everyone! The sky is not falling. I don't know why he is transferring, and I don't really care. I do agree that if he thought he would be starting he would probably stay. HE DOESN'T NEED A SCHOLARSHIP. His dad is an NFL coach. I think they can swing the tuition. He is not a poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks. If a scholarship was an issue he would have never come to Bama. This is probably a result of Coker coming to Bama. That is the only thing that makes any sense. Coker for two years. Then LDR has to battle Bateman and Town for the job. That is a tall order. He may not like Kiffin, but starting for Bama outweighs all that crap. We will be fine.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Matt, except all those backups to Blake have been lumped in one category for more than a year: They just don't get it yet. Coker, IF he transfers in, would seem to be a long shot to know the playbook much less win the job with only a few weeks of practice.

We've been incredibly lucky with quarterback injuries. After Blake, who? All reports on Del Rio have been positive -- a talented walk-on leapfrogs three scholarship quarterbacks in a single season. Is he that good? Or are the others that far behind. Either way, his departure is a big loss.

Umm...you do remember us winning a BCSNC in 2009 with Greg McElroy right? First year starter? Not that great of an arm? Literally a game manager in every aspect of the phrase (no offense to him, I love GMc)? I'm not worrie about QB because we have a guy in Blake Sims who was been here for a long time. If he starts, I am FULLY supportive of his capabilities to lead us. We possibly have a guy in Jacob Coker transferring in, whoc in all regards COULD have won the starting battle at FSU...but there was NO WAY Fisher wasn't starting Winston (by the way, FSU's offense is similar enough to ours that Coker could come in during August and be okay to go). We also have a strong armed Texas kid name Alec Morris, who I think we could surround with enough talent that he would have no problem winning games...not to mention Cooper Bateman, who will make strides this year I am sure. So forgive me for not feeling like the sky is falling, but if our hopes were hedged on a kid who wasn't offered a scholly last year to come in and start we have much bigger problems, and weren't going to compete this year anyways..

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

No one said the sky was falling, big. Saban's own assessment singled out Blake and Del Rio as the team's stand-out, backup QBs. Now one has left. That's not grounds for panic, but it is grist for discussion on a fan board.

Relax everyone! The sky is not falling. I don't know why he is transferring, and I don't really care. I do agree that if he thought he would be starting he would probably stay. HE DOESN'T NEED A SCHOLARSHIP. His dad is an NFL coach. I think they can swing the tuition. He is not a poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks. If a scholarship was an issue he would have never come to Bama. This is probably a result of Coker coming to Bama. That is the only thing that makes any sense. Coker for two years. Then LDR has to battle Bateman and Town for the job. That is a tall order. He may not like Kiffin, but starting for Bama outweighs all that crap. We will be fine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.