Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving

Matt, except all those backups to Blake have been lumped in one category for more than a year: They just don't get it yet. Coker, IF he transfers in, would seem to be a long shot to know the playbook much less win the job with only a few weeks of practice.

We've been incredibly lucky with quarterback injuries. After Blake, who? All reports on Del Rio have been positive -- a talented walk-on leapfrogs three scholarship quarterbacks in a single season. Is he that good? Or are the others that far behind. Either way, his departure is a big loss.

...and I say you can't lose something you never had. He completed 2 passes in the A-Day, APPEARS to have jumped over the other QB's LAST SEASON (which may have just been him learning the playbook faster, thus being able to manage the offense...that doesn't mean he was better then the other guys). He has never been a factor in anything. That's like me reminiscing about the "one that got away" even though I never dated her...

It's OBVIOUS he wasn't going to play this year, or he wouldn't be leaving. The whole Kiffin thing is over blown, because I heard he was leaving (though I didn't post because it hadn't become public knowledge) several weeks ago before Nuss had left.

Now, if we start having defensive players or offensive linemen transfer, I'll be worried...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

You realize Krazy was meaning folks kept saying Ely was going to be the #2 guy prior to his transfer, right?

That's where Saban and Kiffin will have to decide if they want to prepare for the future (Morris) or go with an athletic guy who can improvise when necessary.
Morris "ain't" the future. Sorry, Bateman & Cornwell will be ahead of Morris. Guys, I'm not bashing the kid, really. He had offers to Wake and N. Texas prior to us offering after we were spurned by Winston.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Matt, except all those backups to Blake have been lumped in one category for more than a year: They just don't get it yet. Coker, IF he transfers in, would seem to be a long shot to know the playbook much less win the job with only a few weeks of practice.

We've been incredibly lucky with quarterback injuries. After Blake, who? All reports on Del Rio have been positive -- a talented walk-on leapfrogs three scholarship quarterbacks in a single season. Is he that good? Or are the others that far behind. Either way, his departure is a big loss.
Two things:

1. I don't understand how so many of us KNOW for a fact that some of these guys (Morris and Bateman) don't get it to the point that they won't get it at some point.

2. You mention about Coker only having a short time to learn the play book. I hate to bring it up but Marshall did exactly the same thing last year at the Barn and they rode him like a rented mule all year long.

Also, to those complaining about the "chicken littles" on the board, I don't see what's wrong with having some legitimate concern and voicing that at a time like this. That's what message boards are for in the first place...to talk about the team, players, coaches, etc.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

How it is obvious? Maybe he was homesick. Maybe his close relationship with Riley was a factor. I don't think we can assume his reasons for leaving any more than we can assume he would not play. One has to hope that one of the other kids has taken a great leap forward. We will know that soon enough.

Quarterback is the most important position on the field. It also happens to be the one weak spot in Saban's recruiting machine (we'll see if Cornwell and Town change that.)

We will not beat the best teams on our schedule without a quarterback who can make plays. Hopefully, Blake will be that guy. But how can anyone look at next year's roster and not say that quarterback is our biggest question mark?

...and I say you can't lose something you never had. He completed 2 passes in the A-Day, APPEARS to have jumped over the other QB's LAST SEASON (which may have just been him learning the playbook faster, thus being able to manage the offense...that doesn't mean he was better then the other guys). He has never been a factor in anything. That's like me reminiscing about the "one that got away" even though I never dated her...

It's OBVIOUS he wasn't going to play this year, or he wouldn't be leaving. The whole Kiffin thing is over blown, because I heard he was leaving (though I didn't post because it hadn't become public knowledge) several weeks ago before Nuss had left.

Now, if we start having defensive players or offensive linemen transfer, I'll be worried...

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

Two things:

1. I don't understand how so many of us KNOW for a fact that some of these guys (Morris and Bateman) don't get it to the point that they won't get it at some point.

2. You mention about Coker only having a short time to learn the play book. I hate to bring it up but Marshall did exactly the same thing last year at the Barn and they rode him like a rented mule all year long.

Also, to those complaining about the "chicken littles" on the board, I don't see what's wrong with having some legitimate concern and voicing that at a time like this. That's what message boards are for in the first place...to talk about the team, players, coaches, etc.
Marshall ran 5 plays! 3 of em were read/options. That's why they didn't throw much...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Two things:

A couple of points in clarification, though not necessarily rebuttal:

(1) The people who think there is no chance of Morris or Bateman ultimately becoming the starter are just misguided, though admittedly with Cornwell and Town headed to T'town, those guys clearly need to make a lot of progress over the next few months to seize the reigns while they have the chance. Neither of them have exactly taken the proverbial bull by the horns to date.

(2) While I suspect Coker would be fine coming in during the summer (differences in terminology aside, the FSU attack is fairly similar to what we run), you are a bit misplaced with the Marshall comparison. In terms of complexity, what Auburn runs is elementary compared to what we run, and our scheme can't quite be so easily digested in such a short period of time. For an incoming QB, Gus can install the vast majority of his scheme in a matter of 7-10 days, and we just can't do that, not if we are running something similar to what we have always ran under Saban.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

(1) The people who think there is no chance of Morris or Bateman ultimately becoming the starter are just misguided, though admittedly with Cornwell and Town headed to T'town, those guys clearly need to make a lot of progress over the next few months to seize the reigns while they have the chance. Neither of them have exactly taken the proverbial bull by the horns to date.

(2) While I suspect Coker would be fine coming in during the summer (differences in terminology aside, the FSU attack is fairly similar to what we run), you are a bit misplaced with the Marshall comparison. In terms of complexity, what Auburn runs is elementary compared to what we run, and our scheme can't quite be so easily digested in such a short period of time. For an incoming QB, Gus can install the vast majority of his scheme in a matter of 7-10 days, and we just can't do that, not if we are running something similar to what we have always ran under Saban.
Understand about point #2 and the differences in our system and the Barn's. Didn't really want to say too much other than my impressions of Marshall's acumen aren't real high. Just pointing out it might/could happen in a shorter amount of time.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I think Bateman could be a two year starter. I don't think Morris could be. Just my .02.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

I am amazed! We don't know squat about how they practice and yet we are making all sorts of predictions. I know change is tough on some folks, but this is close to apocalyptic. Some need to go walk around the block or kiss your spouse or something.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Here's one to chew on. I know that LDR stated he was not unhappy with Bama, supposedly, but how interesting would it be to have to play his new team in the 'Playoffs? I wonder if he wouldn't have a big smile on his face at that scenario. I would like to see that game. At any rate, I wish LDR the absolute best life has to offer him, as long as it's not at Bama's expense. Good luck Luke, but it's not too late to change your mind:biggrin2:.

Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight!

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

Coker will know the playbook if he is the starter. He can study film, and look at the playbook as much as he wants to. This includes the summer. I know coaches don't have the same level of contact with players, but they have some, and voluntary study is not prohibited. He may not have as much hands on time with the first team as we would like, but the first four games should be winnable on talent alone. This would give him time to adjust, and get it all down. This is all hypothetical. He may be playing at Jacksonville State for all we know. I'm personally pulling for Sims to win the job. He has been loyal and done whatever was asked of him. I don't want Sims to win it by default. I want him to really be the right guy. I know he may not be, but that's my personal wish.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia

Haven't read every single comment on this, but my first thought when I read that Luke was transferring was to wonder if it might have to something to do with his father's status. Once the NFL playoffs are over I think lots of people will be wanting to talk with Jack.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Sims is my sentimental favorite.

1. We don't even know if Coker is coming. He stated it was just rumors.
2. Can't say our offense is just like FSU's because we have a new OC and not sure what it will look like yet.
3. Kiffin IMO is not a great OC or coach. His only OC job was at USC and he was Co-OC with Steve Sarkisian. I would bet Sarkisian ran most of the show. Did you see what happened to Matt Barkley? A sure #1 draft pick comes back for his senior year and Kiffin makes him look like a HS QB and he drops to the 4th round. QB play at USC was horrible when Kiffin was there. It only improved when he was fired. He was only at UT 1 year and that QB's only good game was against us. I have no faith in him to develop QB, much less develop cohesion in our offense.

I hope I am wrong. Whichever QB we end up with will need to be protected. Kiffin doesn't understand that philosophy. Barkley threw more INT's his senior year than any other year. My money is that Kiffin either leaves or gets fired after 1-2 years.

I do hate that Del Rio left. I wish him well. I hope we have a QB who steps up.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Haven't read every single comment on this, but my first thought when I read that Luke was transferring was to wonder if it might have to something to do with his father's status. Once the NFL playoffs are over I think lots of people will be wanting to talk with Jack.
I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't he the interim coach for a little bit, this year?

tidechamp15

Suspended
Jan 3, 2014

There goes the thought of him starting this yr !.. ....wouldn't mind seeing Cornwell start though

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham

Having read all the comments on this thread has convinced me that I've found some of the people who run to the store and buy milk and bread every time a snowflake falls in this state....and no, this is NOT in blue for a reason. :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.