Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving

Sims is my sentimental favorite.

1. We don't even know if Coker is coming. He stated it was just rumors.
2. Can't say our offense is just like FSU's because we have a new OC and not sure what it will look like yet.
3. Kiffin IMO is not a great OC or coach. His only OC job was at USC and he was Co-OC with Steve Sarkisian. I would bet Sarkisian ran most of the show. Did you see what happened to Matt Barkley? A sure #1 draft pick comes back for his senior year and Kiffin makes him look like a HS QB and he drops to the 4th round. QB play at USC was horrible when Kiffin was there. It only improved when he was fired. He was only at UT 1 year and that QB's only good game was against us. I have no faith in him to develop QB, much less develop cohesion in our offense.

I hope I am wrong. Whichever QB we end up with will need to be protected. Kiffin doesn't understand that philosophy. Barkley threw more INT's his senior year than any other year. My money is that Kiffin either leaves or gets fired after 1-2 years.
*sigh*

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

I hate to hear this. I think he had a real shot at starting QB this coming season. Well what is done is done good luck to him.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

All I know is LDR is a super classy kid who did everything asked of him. I give him props for that and wish him nothing but the best....unless his paths ever put him on the field opposite of Bama ;). But from what I'm hearing that is HIGHLY unlikely.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

2. Can't say our offense is just like FSU's because we have a new OC and not sure what it will look like yet.
3. Kiffin IMO is not a great OC or coach. His only OC job was at USC and he was Co-OC with Steve Sarkisian. I would bet Sarkisian ran most of the show. Did you see what happened to Matt Barkley? A sure #1 draft pick comes back for his senior year and Kiffin makes him look like a HS QB and he drops to the 4th round. QB play at USC was horrible when Kiffin was there. It only improved when he was fired. He was only at UT 1 year and that QB's only good game was against us. I have no faith in him to develop QB, much less develop cohesion in our offense.

I hope I am wrong. Whichever QB we end up with will need to be protected. Kiffin doesn't understand that philosophy. Barkley threw more INT's his senior year than any other year. My money is that Kiffin either leaves or gets fired after 1-2 years.

I do hate that Del Rio left. I wish him well. I hope we have a QB who steps up.
I don't care if you don't like Kiffin, but you wrong about his offenses and QB play while he was at USC. He was is own OC and playcaller from 2010 - until he was fired.

in 2011, USC concluded their season with two thousand-yard receivers (Robert Woods and Marqise Lee), a thousand-yard rusher (Curtis McNeal), and a 3,000-yard passer (Matt Barkley) for the first time since the 2005 season, when Kiffin served as offensive coordinator.
Over the 2011 season, Barkley accumulated 39 touchdowns, an all-time Pac-12 record, and helped end the season with a 10-2 record. Barkley had the 6th most votes for the Heisman Trophy. He finished with a 39-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio while completing 69.1% of his passes. He won the 2011 CFPA National Performer of the Year Trophy with his record breaking season.
year att comp yards % TD INT
2010 236 377 2791 62.6 26 12
2011 308 446 3528 69.1 40 7
2012 246 387 3273 63.6 36 15
You're basically saying that even though Kiffin was Barkley's coach in 2010 and 2011 when Barkley had his best years, it is Kiffin's fault he had a disappointing senior year? I'm not sure I follow that logic.

As bad as 2012 was for USC, Kiffin's offense averaged 36 PPG in the games Matt Barkley played, including a 62-51 loss to Oregon, a 39-36 loss to Arizona, and 38-28 loss to UCLA. Barkely got hurt went out of the Notre Dame game and didn't play in the bowl game and those were the 2 lowest point output games of the year (13 points vs ND, and 7 points vs GT)

USC's offense was actually pretty good in 2012 until Barkley went down, but their offense was absolutely horrible. A lot of Barkley's INT's came while they were having to throw the ball to stay in the game because the defense sucked, which is typical when you can't run a balanced offense.

Again, it's none of my concern how you feel about Kiffin, but his offenses have generally been very good.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

The competition at QB is going to be tough this spring. Who knows if we will have a starter named? LDR must think he has a better shot at meaningful playing time somewhere else instead of Bama. I wish him well.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

1.Run said the Rumor was out before the Kiffen hiring.
2.Riley was already in place before DR came here
3.I read some where AJ said he was impressed with DR
4.Im like Buzz something just ain't Right.
5. Does speed play in to this or athletism Yall kow better than me
6.Are we going to Run the offense we think we are? Kiffens been out since sept.Has he been working on a diffrent style of offense?Coach says he is impressed with him!
7. I know this is a few yrs away but I'm looking forward to Ricky Towns.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009

Yeah. Leinart was turrible.....Crompton was a total zero before LK (check his stats please) and ended being a 4th round (?) draft pick. Yeah, he can't coach qb's. His offenses couldn't score and his receivers couldn't catch, either. Good gawd....

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Kiffin IMO is not a great OC or coach. His only OC job was at USC and he was Co-OC with Steve Sarkisian. I would bet Sarkisian ran most of the show. Did you see what happened to Matt Barkley? A sure #1 draft pick comes back for his senior year and Kiffin makes him look like a HS QB and he drops to the 4th round. QB play at USC was horrible when Kiffin was there. It only improved when he was fired. He was only at UT 1 year and that QB's only good game was against us. I have no faith in him to develop QB, much less develop cohesion in our offense.
Just because the QB's struggled when he was HC doesn't mean he sucks as an OC. Some head coaches have to put their time in elsewhere and they lack. Our DB's looked rough this year, but does that mean Coach Saban sucks as a DB Coach? I'd imagine DB's played BETTER when he was a full time DB coach than when he was the head coach. That doesn't mean he sucks it means he doesn't have the time to put in the work as a DB Coach now compared to him having to put his time in all over the field now that he's in charge. Some can handle that, some can't.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I guess if Muschamp gets fired from Florida, people will decide he's a terrible defensive coordinator.

I don't get how some people can't tell the coordinator positions apart from the head coach position. Furthermore, since there seems to be some sort of a wikibattle going on (with Kiffin's page being edited to name Sarkisian as co-coordinator, even though it didn't say that before), from what I gathered and according to Sarkisian's own wikipedia page, he was promoted to offensive coordinator after Kiffin left. He might have shared some duties, but a lot of people seemed to be under the impression that Kiffin was the offensive coordinator, and Sarkisian was the assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach.

It seems rather revisionist (as the wikipedia edits attest to), to try and belittle Kiffin's work as offensive coordinator at USC.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I will say something about Kiffin's final season at USC. I think you have to point the finger at him for letting it all fall apart. Which is why I'm glad he's just the OC and not the head coach. But don't think the success that came after he left had any meaning. I've seen this many times, when a coach gets fired the interim coach circles the wagons with the players, gives them this us against the world speech or pick you speech from an Adam Sandler movie and everybody goes out loose and taking chances because there is nothing to lose. Nobody's afraid of mistakes because nothing you do that season means anything, heck throw a bomb every 3rd play. When a team isn't worried about losing they can be the last team you want to play. but that situation doesn't last. The moment passes and next season the real coach can't play that loose and dangerous. Heck I wish Dubose had stepped down after that 21-0 loss to Southern Miss, may be we could have gotten a win or two down the stretch.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

Man, I wish Nick had consulted with you before making this hire. I guess we're screwed.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

1. Why are we talking about Coker when we don't know anything about that. he may/may not transfer. Pointless to bring it up until sometime in Spring.
2. I'm confident in our quarterbacks that we have and I"m sure one will step up and get the job done.
3. I wish Del Rio the best whereever he goes. I wish he would stay but nothing we can do about it.
4. Expect one more quarterback to transfer after spring practice.
5. We are not screwed.
6. have faith in your team.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al

How can the assumption be made Kiffin will leave (or get fired) after 1-2 years and the man hasn't even coached a game. Geez!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Can you repeat that again please?
1.Run said the Rumor was out before the Kiffen hiring.
2.Riley was already in place before DR came here
3.I read some where AJ said he was impressed with DR
4.Im like Buzz something just ain't Right.
5. Does speed play in to this or athletism Yall kow better than me
6.Are we going to Run the offense we think we are? Kiffens been out since sept.Has he been working on a diffrent style of offense?Coach says he is impressed with him!
7. I know this is a few yrs away but I'm looking forward to Ricky Towns.

tide13

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2002
Birmingham

We won a national championship with Jay Barker as our starting QB in a year, when frankly, he wasn't very good. He later became quite good, but the team carried him while he learned in '92. Next year will be interesting -- maybe good; maybe not so much. However, with all the talent we're bringing in, if we take a dip, it won't be a long one....

Roll Tide!!!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

The QB battle is going to be fun to watch the spring & fall that's for sure, like many Bama Fans, I will be pulling for Sims, but, I'm not sold on him being the right fit in our Pro Style Offense..That's not a knock against him, cause he's prolly the best pure athlete on the team(behind Henry), I'm just not sold on him throwing the ball..

If Sims wins the job, I imagine we're going to see a lot of the "Wildcat" formation with Sims running the offense..If that's the case, I'll be a happy camper, cause The "Wilcat" formation has mighty effective for us, when we ran out it, and Sims would be deadly running out of it should we go that route..Flame Away..That's just my gods honest truth about the situation(especially if Sims wins the starting QB job)..

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

We won a national championship with Jay Barker as our starting QB in a year, when frankly, he wasn't very good. He later became quite good, but the team carried him while he learned in '92. Next year will be interesting -- maybe good; maybe not so much. However, with all the talent we're bringing in, if we take a dip, it won't be a long one....

Roll Tide!!!
--------
True. But all first-year starters on the championship teams were blessed to have three of the best defenses in Alabama history. Based on what we've seen to date, does anyone believe the trend will continue next year?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I am amazed! We don't know squat about how they practice and yet we are making all sorts of predictions. I know change is tough on some folks, but this is close to apocalyptic. Some need to go walk around the block or kiss your spouse or something.
Bingo. I've told anyone who would listen, for month's, that Blake Sims is the only QB Coach Saban will trust enough to start next year, especially early in the season. Next year we're going to need a QB who's more of a game manager and doesn't make mistakes. I can't see Coach Saban giving that responsibility to a redshirt freshman.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.