Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Re: It appears Luke Del Rio is leaving

Some of y'all are forgetting that when Blake Sims has played with the ones he's looked good. Very good. Easy to forget that as much of his time came when many / most of the starters were sitting.

I'm not worried one but about BS as a starter, I'm pulling for him.

For the record:
An advantage with Blake is that when we go pistol, the QB is actually a run threat. More for the opposing DC to consider.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

We all had hoped that the 2nd half of the LSU game signified that the switch finally turned on. What I think really happened is that they saw how good they could be, and concluded that they'd be able to flip the switch back on whenever they needed.

Bama's defense was as schizophrenic as anytime in the Saban era. We have NOT mastered the giddy up D.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

We couldn't win a championship with the QB we had this year. Pretty sure it doesn't matter who starts next year. I think it will be a rebuilding year. A solid but 2 loss season. The real downside to starting BS at QB is we will be breaking in a starter for the next 2 seasons. I'd like to have a little continuity at the QB position....
yeah, but let's go back to 2011. AJ and Sims were dead even locked in at QB, so much that we didn't have a true starter in the first couple of game till AJ pulled ahead. It's not like can can't win it all with a guy that emerges from the QB competition right before the season.

It's going to make spring very exciting to watch to see who is getting the reps and is really doing what they need to do, which is make good decisions about what to do with the ball.

careeves

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 19, 2007
Huntsville

Blake Sims does not need to be our starter period! The kid cannot pass the ball down the field more than 10 yards accurately. If he is our starter we lose at least four games next season. He has only came in on mop up duty to run the clock out. Take his only real preformance in last years Aday game against a fast defense and he was pick city. We have to look else where for a starter.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Blake Sims does not need to be our starter period! The kid cannot pass the ball down the field more than 10 yards accurately. If he is our starter we lose at least four games next season. He has only came in on mop up duty to run the clock out. Take his only real preformance in last years Aday game against a fast defense and he was pick city. We have to look else where for a starter.
You seem to have something personal against Blake, but I don't think we would lose four games if I started at QB next year. I've seen Blake do some good things, and I know the coaches are going to play whoever gives us the best chance to win. Therefore, Blake will play if he is the best, and he won't if he isn't.

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL

yeah, but let's go back to 2011. AJ and Sims were dead even locked in at QB, so much that we didn't have a true starter in the first couple of game till AJ pulled ahead. It's not like can can't win it all with a guy that emerges from the QB competition right before the season.
Wasn't that P. Sims and not B. Sims, in that qb contest?

Ok, after rereading it you didn't say B. Sims. I got mesmerized by all of the B. Sims love and read it into your post too.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Wow, good thing we have you - you best run along and tell CNS, as he had him firmly in the backup QB spot last season!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Besides, people need to adjust their expectations. Right now I'd peg us at 8-4 or 9-3 regardless of whoever we start at QB. We may have a difference maker in this collective of QBs assembled on campus right now...but without any game action, you have to be reserved in our projections for 2014.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Besides, people need to adjust their expectations. Right now I'd peg us at 8-4 or 9-3 regardless of whoever we start at QB. We may have a difference maker in this collective of QBs assembled on campus right now...but without any game action, you have to be reserved in our projections for 2014.
^^^ I agree but we have major play makers everywhere but qb. We will definitely live and die by the qb position next year. Hopefully our def, rb's and wr's te's can cover up any mistakes by the qb position. Still hoping for another championship next year! RTR

rollmjtide

Nov 11, 2013

that's too bad that del rio felt he couldn't stay. good things can come to those who wait...look at the wait that aaron rogers had as back up to favre. he was rewarded with a superbowl win.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

There are a lot of ways to take Saban's "back to 2007" comments a few weeks ago. The obvious one is the almost comical return to the original Saban defensive staff from his first few seasons. I don't know if that was intentional so much as it may be that those kind of guys he wants around for a reboot. The big thing I took was that this was going to be an off-season of fat trimming, staff changes, and coaching adjustments. We got a bit more draft attrition than I expected and maybe even a bit more staff turnover than I could have imagined too. The next part is probably going to be guys breaking under the off-season program or getting "processed" for not following the rules to the letter. I think the "back to 2007" is truly Saban treating this like day one where everyone is on an evaluation period. We're undoubtedly going to see more of those off-season departures that our rivals criticized in the early years.

I also think it was an expectation adjuster for the fans. Expecting something closer to 2007 than 2011 next season seems to be reasonable.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

8-4? Lol what are the four games you see us losing? I see us having a 3 game season: LSU, AU, and either aTm or UF. All of those teams have major question marks except for AU. I'm not saying we go undefeated, but there's no way I see us losing 3 or four games. 2 at most.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Aim low and anything above will please you. :D

We have a lot of talent but we're losing a lot of guys and most of our leadership from the last few years. I could see a 1 or 2 loss team but I'd wait to see how they play against WVU and then Florida before making assessments on anything more.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Just think how bad Bama will be if one of the guys that couldn't jump Blake starts in 2014. We may as well forfeit the season, right?! We're just doomed no matter what.

Dude, seriously, that's how ridiculous you sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

Thank you; There is no way 2014 Bama with its talent is goint to lose 4 games even with Brandon Avalos at QB. I expect the D will be much better, and the offense will be enough. We all abused Mac Brown for crying over 1 player. I think Bama is better than that next season.
8-4? Lol what are the four games you see us losing? I see us having a 3 game season: LSU, AU, and either aTm or UF. All of those teams have major question marks except for AU. I'm not saying we go undefeated, but there's no way I see us losing 3 or four games. 2 at most.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

8-4? Really? We still have more talent on our roster than any team in the country. I know Saban is hitting the reboot button, but I see that as a good thing. Make guys earn their spots on the team again by working hard. Fresh ideas, hard work, and the most talent in the country should not equal 8-4, even with Lane Kiffin on our staff. Dang, I really meant to make it through a thread without criticizing him. Anyway, we do play in a very tough league, so I could see 9-3 at worst, but almost all teams in division I, or bowl subdivision or whatever they call it these days, would gladly trade rosters with us. Yes, we are spoiled, but when you have the top ranked recruiting class in the country for four of the last five years, you should be at the reload stage, not the rebuild stage.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC

I've read most but not all of these comments, and not sure if this theory has been mentioned, but my first thought was that Saban and possibly Kiffin spoke with Luke about their vision for what they're looking for in a QB next fall and told him he didn't fit the mold. I could easily believe that Saban has enough respect for Luke and his dad to be forthcoming about his chances for playing here and wanted to give him the option to pursue another opportunity where he can be successful.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

I've read most but not all of these comments, and not sure if this theory has been mentioned, but my first thought was that Saban and possibly Kiffin spoke with Luke about their vision for what they're looking for in a QB next fall and told him he didn't fit the mold. I could easily believe that Saban has enough respect for Luke and his dad to be forthcoming about his chances for playing here and wanted to give him the option to pursue another opportunity where he can be successful.

I truly hope not. Kiffin shared his vision with 5* QB, Tajh Boyd and sent him to Clemson when he was told he wasn't part of the big picture.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC

I truly hope not. Kiffin shared his vision with 5* QB, Tajh Boyd and sent him to Clemson when he was told he wasn't part of the big picture.
I've watched Tajh in person for the last 3 years at Clemson and would not trade him for AJ any day of the week. Make no mistake, Tajh was great for Clemson but we got the best end of that deal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.