Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
In fairness to Saban, we didn't take a knee today! So there is something Simms can do that we didn't see today. If Coker doesn't win the job I think Bateman could grow as the season goes on. Yes we might drop a few games early on (WVU & Ole Miss), we would get better each game and by the end of the season could upset LSU or the Barn.

That said, I believe Coker will come in seize the job and we will be in Dallas January of 2015! ... The defense will be solid.
I agree that Blake isn't going to be our best option, but good grief. Lay off the dude. We all have our bad days, and today may have just been one of them. There's no call for dumping on him just because you didn't like the way he played. Sims is a good guy, and he's been incredibly loyal to our program. None of our quarterbacks looked stellar today, and I'm sure our defense could have made many good quarterbacks look silly with how well they played.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Most every pass Blake threw, was on a play action left and a roll out right. I can't remember one time when he tucked it and ran. I think that was by design. He can do some damage on those roll outs that the others can't do.
I'll agree that the QB position is wide open, but I wouldn't make my final opinion of the Quarterbacks on a "Very controlled" scrimmage. We didn't want anybody to see anything, and we didn't show it to them.
Was he impressive? Lord no, but we have to wait and see what happens when the entire offense is opened up in the fall.
Right now I think we all just have to trust the coaches, cause they're the only ones who really know what's going on.
That being said, I liked Bateman's control of the game, but he is the ultimate definition of "game manager". Morris? Nope.
Blake? I have no idea. Coker? Nobody has any idea, except the coaches. The one I feel sorry for is Parker McLeod. Did he even get a snap? If not, that's pretty bad.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree that Blake isn't going to be our best option, but good grief. Lay off the dude. We all have our bad days, and today may have just been one of them. There's no call for dumping on him just because you didn't like the way he played. Sims is a good guy, and he's been incredibly loyal to our program. None of our quarterbacks looked stellar today, and I'm sure our defense could have made many good quarterbacks look silly with how well they played.
I'll say this...unless our offensive line improves about 100%, none of our QB's are going to have a chance to look good.
They got absolutely whipped all afternoon.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Most every pass Blake threw, was on a play action left and a roll out right. I can't remember one time when he tucked it and ran. I think that was by design. He can do some damage on those roll outs that the others can't do.
I'll agree that the QB position is wide open, but I wouldn't make my final opinion of the Quarterbacks on a "Very controlled" scrimmage. We didn't want anybody to see anything, and we didn't show it to them.
Was he impressive? Lord no, but we have to wait and see what happens when the entire offense is opened up in the fall.
Right now I think we all just have to trust the coaches, cause they're the only ones who really know what's going on.
That being said, I liked Bateman's control of the game, but he is the ultimate definition of "game manager". Morris? Nope.
Blake? I have no idea. Coker? Nobody has any idea, except the coaches. The one I feel sorry for is Parker McLeod. Did he even get a snap? If not, that's pretty bad.
sip
I'll say this...unless our offensive line improves about 100%, none of our QB's are going to have a chance to look good.
They got absolutely whipped all afternoon.
Good posts Sip, and I think you are dead on. None of our qb's really impressed me today, and I think Sims was handcuffed from running the type of offense that would make him most successful. Aside from that, the offensive line was making it hard for the qb's to get settled. They got some nice pockets at times, but there was enough pressure to keep them nervous throughout the game. Our pass rush was excellent during the game, and it's not fair to blame the quarterbacks for that.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
While Blake didn't play well some are being way too harsh. Quick whistle's hampered all the qb's in the name of player safety. As someone else said we made no attempt to run any of the new wrinkles that have been added. We need to be patient as well as fair until it's sorted out. Come fall we will find out who will be our quarterback.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
TP50, some quarterbacks are excellent practice quarterbacks, but can't do anything once the spotlight is on them. My take is that Blake Sims is one of those. I have no doubt that he has the talent to be our quarterback, but he just doesn't have the presence or confidence that you need in your qb.
To be fair to both Sims and Coker, neither of them has started a game yet. All the great prognostications on Coker are based on his reported abilities (more in tune with a pocket passer) and what he did in practice and not what he has done in his few appearances in mop-up duty. Here are their respective statistics in the actual games in which they have participated:

QBATTCMPINTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDSACKEDEFF
Sims3923024459.0%6.263521128.5
Coker4121129551.2%7.204215114.8

Coker could come in and wilt in the spotlight and it could be Sims or Bateman or any of the others that end up being the "gamer". I remember Andrew Zow coming out in the Florida game in 1998 from nowhere and proving himself to be the answer and I don't know of anyone who saw that coming.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
In fairness to Saban, we didn't take a knee today! So there is something Simms can do that we didn't see today. If Coker doesn't win the job I think Bateman could grow as the season goes on. Yes we might drop a few games early on (WVU & Ole Miss), we would get better each game and by the end of the season could upset LSU or the Barn.

That said, I believe Coker will come in seize the job and we will be in Dallas January of 2015! ... The defense will be solid.

If you're going to insult the kid, at least spell his name right.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
If Coker is no better than Sims, we are probably in for a long year. Or at least, one that doesn't reach the levels we have come to expect.
If our OL doesn't improve, it really doesn't matter who (unless we find a Manziel clone) is behind the center. The QB with the best ability to get outside the tackle box and get it over the LOS might win the job.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The biggest issue with today's offense was the limitations put on the QBs. Blake couldn't run. That would have changed the entire dynamic of the offense. The DL wouldn't have been able to pressure as much. The CBs would have worried about his scrambling. Same alluded to his scrambling after last week's scrimmage.

Between the limitations on the QBs and the bland offense, Blake and any other QB were bound to have issues.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The biggest issue with today's offense was the limitations put on the QBs. Blake couldn't run. That would have changed the entire dynamic of the offense. The DL wouldn't have been able to pressure as much. The CBs would have worried about his scrambling. Same alluded to his scrambling after last week's scrimmage.

Between the limitations on the QBs and the bland offense, Blake and any other QB were bound to have issues.
What about the multiple times he wasn't pressured and had a clean pocket and made the wrong read or bad throw? Maybe it was just an off day for him but IMO he hasn't really progressed at all. I just don't see a starting QB when I watch him play. I see an athlete that can run the zone read package and come in and close the game and run the time off the clock in blowouts. JMO

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm not worried about our offense, we will be fine, our running is & will always be our "Bread N Butter", when it comes to our offense under Coach Saban..And our offense was so vanilla today..You could've made a bowl of vanilla pudding with our play calling at the A-Day Game & we prolly used 5% of our play book as well..So that was working against our offense..I honestly think our D may be the best ever that Coach Saban has fielded at Bama or on the college level as a HC..I just don't think Blake will be our starting QB, either Bateman or Coker will win the starting job..I'm a Blake Sims supporter & wish him nothing but the best, but, he seems to fade when the spotlight is shining down on him, some kids can handle the pressure, and some fold like a cheap tent in a wind storm under that kinda pressure..

I do think Blake will come in to give our offense a change of pace running the ball, I don't think he'll be the starter, and that's not meant as a disrespect toward Blake, I just don't feel like he can handle the pressure, especially the kind when we go on the road at places like LSWho, Auburn, Florida, & even Ole Miss..Not every kid can handle that kinda pressure & I pray to the football Gods Coker comes in takes over our offense..He looked good on the sidelines & wish he could've suited up today to show that he is the "Man" to replace the legend of AJ McCarron..

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

If you going to bash Blake Sims at least spell his name right:biggrin: S-I-M-S

I thought Blake had a very rough day. Bateman didn't look hot either but better than Sims. I still say Coker gets the starting nod with Blake coming in with a change of pace type deal.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
We don't really know how he played in the previous scrimmages. CNS isn't going to hang any player out to dry. All reports up until today said BS was "head and shoulders" above the rest. That obviously is not true. Again try to read between the lines and understand the jargon of coach speak. Don't take everything as being black and white. Many shades of gray to decipher when CNS speaks.
I was at the scrimmage last week and at practice one day earlier, and BS looked leaps and bounds better than yesterday at A Day. He looked much more comfortable and in control than he did yesterday. I'm pretty sure I saw much more of the play book during the scrimmage last week too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I was at the scrimmage last week and at practice one day earlier, and BS looked leaps and bounds better than yesterday at A Day. He looked much more comfortable and in control than he did yesterday. I'm pretty sure I saw much more of the play book during the scrimmage last week too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Leaps and bounds better than A-day would put him about average. He must be one of those players that CNS speaks of that practices well and when the lights come on they wilt under pressure. Doesn't matter how someone looks in practice IMO. It matters how your perform when it counts. He's been on the roster for 5 years and has yet to see any meaningful playing time. I think most of us see why now. He has a role on the team. It just isn't to be the starting QB.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Leaps and bounds better than A-day would put him about average. He must be one of those players that CNS speaks of that practices well and when the lights come on they wilt under pressure. Doesn't matter how someone looks in practice IMO. It matters how your perform when it counts. He's been on the roster for 5 years and has yet to see any meaningful playing time. I think most of us see why now. He has a role on the team. It just isn't to be the starting QB.
Because we should expect him to get meaningful playing time when backing up a 3 year starter, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Because we should expect him to get meaningful playing time when backing up a 3 year starter, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just stating a fact. I mean Alec Morris may get more PT as the punter this year than BS does at QB.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Amazing that Saban would support Blake after the game with the below statement. Link

Like I said earlier, the offense was bland. He clearly did better in the two previous scrimmages because the offense did the "things" he can do as a quarterback we didn't do today.
I've said it a lot of times, and this was the best example possible. Clearly, they see something in practice that the rest of us haven't really seen. Blake played terrible, no way around that, but his other scrimmage stats were very good. There's limitations, with any quarterback, but it would appear a lot of them are psychological.

I wasn't surprised he would support Blake though, I saw the press conference, he just said the truth. And the truth is, and at this point is fairly obvious, that Sims performed (far) better in practice and regular scrimmages than he has done in front of crowds. There's some serious issues though...

There's no point to us getting overly anxious about this though (not necessarily you). Some guy goes back several pages just to dislike an old post I made, and not even one that was really defending Sims. If Sims plays like he did at A-Day, in a meaningful situations, he only starts because the alternative is even worse. There's no point in people getting all worked up about that, that's just how it is.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.