Luke Del Rio is gone - Blake Sims / QB discussion

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Two back gun is in, Fowler was used a lot in it. Also, the Pistol Diamond with Derrick Henry pounding the rock was used quite a bit in the scrimmage. Also, I expect a west coast flavor passing game.

RTR '14
For the ignorant: is that diamond formation with two TE on each side of the OL but off the line and Derrick behind Sims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For the ignorant: is that diamond formation with two TE on each side of the OL but off the line and Derrick behind Sims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...
The diamond is a pistol formation with two players splitting the QB and another behind the QB. Some teams use TEs to split the QB. Others use RBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The diamond is a pistol formation with two players splitting the QB and another behind the QB. Some teams use TEs to split the QB. Others use RBs.

That is like an inverted triple option setup with the qb in a short, shot gun position. For those who want to see the triple option return to Bama this may be about as close as we may ever get!!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
HAHA..Unless he's radically changed his entire throwing mechanics, he does have a funky throwing motion, but, it's a moot point, as long as he gets the ball where it's supposed to go & on time..JMHO
Phillip Rivers made a career out of a terrible looking throwing motion that works. People make too much out of throwing motion sometimes.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Phillip Rivers made a career out of a terrible looking throwing motion that works. People make too much out of throwing motion sometimes.
As opposed to Jeff George, who looked great throwing the prettiest spiral right into the hands of a CB or Safety...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I can't remember. Wasn't Sims recruited as an athlete??
I don't know the full story there, but it appeared that way. Right up until Sims spent all spring at quarterback and showed potential. I know it surprised me to not only play the position, but to look decent doing it. I'm not sure if that had to do with some sort of agreement they had (playing him at QB), or what but I can understand the move to RB at the time. They had a AJ with a lot of eligibility, they had Phillip Sims, and at the time they moved Blake to QB, I think Winston was considered a good possibility as well. They had to have liked what they saw from Blake though, to bring him back to the QB position.

They key to me with Sims is simply that once he made it back to QB, he was AJ's backup throughout. He's not perfect, there might be better options, but he's obviously done what it took to hold that spot one way or the other.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I don't know the full story there, but it appeared that way. Right up until Sims spent all spring at quarterback and showed potential. I know it surprised me to not only play the position, but to look decent doing it. I'm not sure if that had to do with some sort of agreement they had (playing him at QB), or what but I can understand the move to RB at the time. They had a AJ with a lot of eligibility, they had Phillip Sims, and at the time they moved Blake to QB, I think Winston was considered a good possibility as well. They had to have liked what they saw from Blake though, to bring him back to the QB position.

They key to me with Sims is simply that once he made it back to QB, he was AJ's backup throughout. He's not perfect, there might be better options, but he's obviously done what it took to hold that spot one way or the other.
Good points overall. Blake Sims is a good QB....in a read option offense or single wing like the barn. I'd have to imagine they didn't know for sure if he was going to be a QB when he arrived but they put him there because Alabama already had so many talented RB's. He still has trouble overall throwing the ball like AJ. As of now from what I hear he had been doing good (which I'm happy for because it will push Coker to get better when he gets here) but I just don't know how he good he will be if he does end up winning the job.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only thing that worries me with Sims and Coker is that if both hold their own but Coker wins out then the undoubtedly predictable race card stuff will begin to spew out from the media and message boards. It could affect the team too...something gets said enough then it usually becomes true whether or not it is real.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
If he can get it done I could careless about his height or throwing motion. What I saw at practice and the scrimmage it's going to be his to lose. Coker is going to have to really come in and take it. Something tells me Sims isn't going to let it go very easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.